Herb15

2018 KTM 300XC or Husqvarna TX300

Looking at getting a new bike this year. Narrowed it down to the 300XC or TX300.

Searched online a bit; are the only differences the plastics, seat and subframe? Anyone rode both and have some input?

I’ve heard nothing but great things about both so I don’t think I can go wrong either way. What would you choose and why?

Thanks

Husqv have linkage and the KTM XCW does not, but if you are thinking XC and not XCW, the differences are mostly minor stuff. Various suspension settings and brands of controls.
I bought my XCW because the local dealer for KTM is great. Knowledgeable and helpful. And they carry a ton of parts in stock.

• Like 3

As Pat noted the XC-W and TE have differences in rear suspension but the XC and TX are very similar. 

KTM uses Brembo hydraulics (brakes / clutch).  I believe Husky is using Magura.  I thought I heard there have seen some problems and perhaps even a recall with the Magura stuff.  So that might be a consideration.

Doc

• Like 2

I was considering the same two bikes last year.

I put money done on the Husky TX, but wound up getting the KTM XC.

The dealer carried both bikes, but the KTM were more readily available. The Husky’s ETA kept getting pushed back. I got tired of waiting and just got the KTM.

In some ways I’m glad I did. Original there was far more aftermarket accessories for the KTM then the Husky. Specifically plastics (head light and tail light) and oversized gas tanks.

Now there are far more choice for aftermarket Husky accessories then there was even a year ago.

The biggest negative difference is the Magura clutch slave cylinder. The consensus is it will fail. Not if, but when. There is a thread dedicated to the subject in the Husky forum. Many are replacing the Magura unit for a KTM Brembo or aftermarket Oberon unit.

I’ve always wanted a Husky since I was 13 years old. That was my driving force to get a Husky, even though the KTM out of the crate is probably the better of the two bikes or at least requires less finicking with it.

If you know upfront what can be an issue with the Husky and what it will take to fix it, it should be a great bike.

Hard to go wrong with either bike.

• Like 3

I was considering the same two bikes last year.
I put money done on the Husky TX, but wound up getting the KTM XC.
The dealer carried both bikes, but the KTM were more readily available. The Husky’s ETA kept getting pushed back. I got tired of waiting and just got the KTM.
In some ways I’m glad I did. Original there was far more aftermarket accessories for the KTM then the Husky. Specifically plastics (head light and tail light) and oversized gas tanks.
Now there are far more choice for aftermarket Husky accessories then there was even a year ago.
The biggest negative difference is the Magura clutch slave cylinder. The consensus is it will fail. Not if, but when. There is a thread dedicated to the subject in the Husky forum. Many are replacing the Magura unit for a KTM Brembo or aftermarket Oberon unit.
I’ve always wanted a Husky since I was 13 years old. That was my driving force to get a Husky, even though the KTM out of the crate is probably the better of the two bikes or at least requires less finicking with it.
If you know upfront what can be an issue with the Husky and what it will take to fix it, it should be a great bike.
Hard to go wrong with either bike.

Appreciate the info. Will look into Magura slave cylinder issue as I was initially leaning towards the Husky.

Appreciate the info. Will look into Magura slave cylinder issue as I was initially leaning towards the Husky.

Here’s the thread:
2017 FE failed clutch slave cylinder and any preventive fixes???
https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1233063-2017-FE-failed-clutch-slave-cylinder-and-any-preventive-fixes%3F%3F%3F
There are workable solutions, so I wouldn’t worry to much about buying a Husky. It’s just good to be aware of the issue going into it.
  • Like 1

Congrats, great looking bike..

Im looking at the same bikes for 2020.

Im also leaning to the husky, seems like everyone has a KTM. I want something different

Nice bike. Is that one oil-injected? I'm eyeing a TE but for reliability I would prefer non-Oi. Send it!

On 3/14/2018 at 8:10 PM, Herb15 said:

Made my choice, was a good day emoji109.pngemoji110.png

Edited by Distrophe
spelling

The new te250/300 is fuel infected. You want oil injection on those. The fi changes the oil gas mix on the fly making it more efficient than pre mix. 

Op... Congrats on the bike. I am looking at buying a tx300 or te300 my next bike. The tx300 is one awesome beast.

Edited by Zinergy

1 hour ago, Zinergy said:

The new te250/300 is fuel infected. You want oil injection on those. The fi changes the oil gas mix on the fly making it more efficient than pre mix.

Op... Congrats on the bike. I am looking at buying a tx300 or te300 my next bike. The tx300 is one awesome beast.

Yeah, the FI is neat. Are you gonna get an FI bike? I'm eyeing some '18s that are about $2K off msrp so I bet they're carb'd & pre-mix, which is fine by me. The TX is $700 less than a TE. I just have to drive 6 hrs away or settle for a 250xcw nearby. What say you? Thanks.

Edited by Distrophe

3 hours ago, Distrophe said:

Yeah, the FI is neat. Are you gonna get an FI bike? I'm eyeing some '18s that are about $2K off msrp so I bet they're carb'd & pre-mix, which is fine by me. The TX is $700 less than a TE. I just have to drive 6 hrs away or settle for a 250xcw nearby. What say you? Thanks.

You could get the 2018 250 fuel injected in the U.S. but not the 300. Now the 2019 te300i is available in the states. The tx bikes are all still carbed.

Idk. I'm having a tough time between choosing the tx300 or te300i. I want the tx front forks but i would like the fi system as long as it proves reliable. I like the idea of a 2 stroke that changes gas oil mix on the fly for a number of reasons. Less people complaining about smokers on the trails is one reason as the bikes no longer smoke. Better mpgs... a cleaner burn and engine in general... Better power in multiple altitudes and conditions without have too mess with jetting or gas to oil mix as the fi does it automatically. Fi on 2 strokes excites me. I'm glad that one company is putting the R&D into new 2 stroke technology. The world has written off 2 strokes for the most part as dirty inefficient old tech. I like that husky and ktm are saying hold on a sec. Let's not forget about their advantages. If they can build off this new fi 2 stroke designs and make a emissions passing 2 stroke it could possibly lead to 2 stroke road bikes again.

6 hours is a drive especially since its 12 hours there and back but for a new bike that I would ride for years and years I would make the trip.

Edited by Zinergy

21 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

You could get the 2018 250 fuel injected in the U.S. but not the 300. Now the 2019 te300i is available in the states. The tx bikes are all still carbed.

Idk. I'm having a tough time between choosing the tx300 or te300i. I want the tx front forks but i would like the fi system as long as it proves reliable. I like the idea of a 2 stroke that changes gas oil mix on the fly for a number of reasons. Less people complaining about smokers on the trails is one reason as the bikes no longer smoke. Better mpgs... a cleaner burn and engine in general... Better power in multiple altitudes and conditions without have too mess with jetting or gas to oil mix as the fi does it automatically. Fi on 2 strokes excites me. I'm glad that one company is putting the R&D into new 2 stroke technology. The world has written off 2 strokes for the most part as dirty inefficient old tech. I like that husky and ktm are saying hold on a sec. Let's not forget about their advantages. If they can build off this new fi 2 stroke designs and make a emissions passing 2 stroke it could possibly lead to 2 stroke road bikes again.

6 hours is a drive especially since its 12 hours there and back but for a new bike that I would ride for years and years I would make the trip.

Thank you for the input. Yeah, whichever new bike I get I would keep for many years. I had a KX80 for 3-4 yrs & this KDX for 8+ yrs. Depreciation & resale is irrelevant to those who don't re-sell. Carbs have been time-tested & their reliability is doubtless. Not having to adjust jetting or such would be good indeed. I bet if 2T bikes had FI as long as 4T's, getting 1 plated would be easier. I am back on the fence w/ the 5 similarly priced bikes I'm comparing. A couple dealers must be trying to clear out the 2018 inventory. I found a xcw 250 TPI for the same "list" price as a carb'd TE300, $400 more than a carb'd TE250/XCW & $700 more than the TX300. I wonder if the TX is actually a better choice if I plan to do hare scrambles. The TX definitely seems like a great value at around $8K oTD. I've never spent more than $1K at once before.

Yes, I concur with what you said about FI 2stroke emissions. 2stroke road bikes are rare. Getting 2 stroke dirt bikes road-legal in more states would be great, as well as getting rid of the CA OHV red-sticker to allow year-round riding everywhere like other states.

If you dont need a head light and or tail light to do the riding you want to do and both 300s are carbed get the tx300. The front forks and 20lbs weight savings are enough of a benefit.

If you dont need a head light and or tail light to do the riding you want to do and both 300s are carbed get the tx300. The front forks and 20lbs weight savings are enough of a benefit.
🖒 yeah, not a fan of night riding. My eyes are set on the TX. I just need to get a bunch of $$ together & drive 12hrs round trip to get 1.

On 3/13/2018 at 5:48 AM, Doc_d said:

As Pat noted the XC-W and TE have differences in rear suspension but the XC and TX are very similar. 

KTM uses Brembo hydraulics (brakes / clutch).  I believe Husky is using Magura.  I thought I heard there have seen some problems and perhaps even a recall with the Magura stuff.  So that might be a consideration.

Doc

The TE is linkage rear. But it does have the same fork and transmission as the XC-W. 

🖒 yeah, not a fan of night riding. My eyes are set on the TX. I just need to get a bunch of $$ together & drive 12hrs round trip to get 1.

In August I drove 1600km (1000 miles) to pick up a used 250xc. Was totally worth it! 300tx is what I was going to buy before I found my 250xc. These are awesome bikes, super easy to ride
  • Helpful 1