2018 KTM 300XC or Husqvarna TX300

Looking at getting a new bike this year. Narrowed it down to the 300XC or TX300.

Searched online a bit; are the only differences the plastics, seat and subframe? Anyone rode both and have some input?

I’ve heard nothing but great things about both so I don’t think I can go wrong either way. What would you choose and why?

Thanks

Husqv have linkage and the KTM XCW does not, but if you are thinking XC and not XCW, the differences are mostly minor stuff. Various suspension settings and brands of controls.
I bought my XCW because the local dealer for KTM is great. Knowledgeable and helpful. And they carry a ton of parts in stock.

• Like 3

As Pat noted the XC-W and TE have differences in rear suspension but the XC and TX are very similar. 

KTM uses Brembo hydraulics (brakes / clutch).  I believe Husky is using Magura.  I thought I heard there have seen some problems and perhaps even a recall with the Magura stuff.  So that might be a consideration.

Doc

• Like 2

I was considering the same two bikes last year.

I put money done on the Husky TX, but wound up getting the KTM XC.

The dealer carried both bikes, but the KTM were more readily available. The Husky’s ETA kept getting pushed back. I got tired of waiting and just got the KTM.

In some ways I’m glad I did. Original there was far more aftermarket accessories for the KTM then the Husky. Specifically plastics (head light and tail light) and oversized gas tanks.

Now there are far more choice for aftermarket Husky accessories then there was even a year ago.

The biggest negative difference is the Magura clutch slave cylinder. The consensus is it will fail. Not if, but when. There is a thread dedicated to the subject in the Husky forum. Many are replacing the Magura unit for a KTM Brembo or aftermarket Oberon unit.

I’ve always wanted a Husky since I was 13 years old. That was my driving force to get a Husky, even though the KTM out of the crate is probably the better of the two bikes or at least requires less finicking with it.

If you know upfront what can be an issue with the Husky and what it will take to fix it, it should be a great bike.

Hard to go wrong with either bike.

• Like 3

I was considering the same two bikes last year.
I put money done on the Husky TX, but wound up getting the KTM XC.
The dealer carried both bikes, but the KTM were more readily available. The Husky’s ETA kept getting pushed back. I got tired of waiting and just got the KTM.
In some ways I’m glad I did. Original there was far more aftermarket accessories for the KTM then the Husky. Specifically plastics (head light and tail light) and oversized gas tanks.
Now there are far more choice for aftermarket Husky accessories then there was even a year ago.
The biggest negative difference is the Magura clutch slave cylinder. The consensus is it will fail. Not if, but when. There is a thread dedicated to the subject in the Husky forum. Many are replacing the Magura unit for a KTM Brembo or aftermarket Oberon unit.
I’ve always wanted a Husky since I was 13 years old. That was my driving force to get a Husky, even though the KTM out of the crate is probably the better of the two bikes or at least requires less finicking with it.
If you know upfront what can be an issue with the Husky and what it will take to fix it, it should be a great bike.
Hard to go wrong with either bike.

Appreciate the info. Will look into Magura slave cylinder issue as I was initially leaning towards the Husky.

Appreciate the info. Will look into Magura slave cylinder issue as I was initially leaning towards the Husky.

Here’s the thread:
2017 FE failed clutch slave cylinder and any preventive fixes???
https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1233063-2017-FE-failed-clutch-slave-cylinder-and-any-preventive-fixes%3F%3F%3F
There are workable solutions, so I wouldn’t worry to much about buying a Husky. It’s just good to be aware of the issue going into it.
  • Like 1

Good job mate! I love KTM and I love Husqvarna but there is something special about those Huskies!

• Like 2