First time riding a smoker

Well, it has been approximately 5 years since i have owned anything ATV related. I went to the AMA Supercross race in Tampa a few weeks ago and absolutely HAD to buy a bike after watching the races. I have always wanted a smoker and conveniently, a family member of my girlfriend had a 2001 KX250 sitting in the garage. It was difficult to start as it had been sitting for months, needed a few small repairs, but had great compression. I negotiated him down to $1300.

Got the bike home, opened up the carb, drained the fuel and coolant. Cleaned it up, put it back together and bought some fresh fuel. It started cold on the second kick... Awesome. It was a first kick start every each time after warm.

I took it for its very first ride and I am absolutely thrilled. There truly is no feeling quite like the mid throttle hit of a two stroke. Needless to say, i have a lot of practice and learning to do but i am absolutely hooked.

• Like 14

I have been to Croom in the past on my quads. Previously owned a 400ex and warrior 350. One thing i have learned is that just about anyone can jump on a quad for the first time and be fast. These bikes take skill. Especially in the soft grove sand we have here in Polk county.

• Like 1

I learned to ride my 1st MX bike, an 89 CR125, many years ago at Croom, what a blast it was!  It was my 2nd 2stroke, and the bike ran great and really hauled. The first couple of times riding it there, I wasn't used to the bike, or sand riding, and had the bike unexpectedly hook up while accelerating in the meat of the powerband and the bike would just come out from under me, launching the bike, and leaving me face first in the sand... yeah, good times!      BTW, nice bike

• Like 2

Boots were ordered the same day I bought the bike. Should be here on Wednesday. I bought the Oneal Rider 2.0 boots. The bike came with the Vforce reeds and the FMF Gnarly pipe. Today i did an oil change and an examination of the bike. Found a leaking oil seal on the countershaft. Parts are on order. Love the bike so far.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2018 at 10:13 PM, brblommel said:

There truly is no feeling quite like the mid throttle hit of a two stroke.

Yep, you got that right. I love it. I mean, dont get me wrong, i like 4 strokes too. But something about that powerband.....Ive had my bike for 6 months now, and still havent gotten tired of it. I actually bought the bike the day after my 17th birthday.

• Like 3

Agreed... I’ve been back on the horse for about 4 years after a 20 year break. I figured out a two things real quick; I’m not 18 anymore and ground still hurts. My first season back, I got bucked off my seat by a nasty rut and snapped a colar bone and 4 ribs. Last season, in the muddiest terrain ever ridden by man, I broke an elbow whiskey throttling at the lip of a insanely steep hill and rolling down the other side. My bike was nice enough to land on me, though. 

Edited by Jibrok1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jibrok1 said:

Agreed... I’ve been back on the horse for about 4 years after a 20 year break. I figured out a two things real quick; I’m not 18 anymore and ground still hurts. My first season back, I got bucked off my seat by a nasty rut and snapped a colar bone and 4 ribs. Last season, in the muddiest terrain ever ridden by man, I broke an elbow whiskey throttling at the lip of a insanely steep hill and rolling down the other side. My bike was nice enough to land on me, though. 

At least you broke its fall.

• Like 1