Plastic swap for a 91 yz250?

Hey guys I am new to the forum but tried to search for this subject and didn't find much for a bike this old. I bought the bike recently and have pretty much everything rebuilt but I am having trouble sourcing the proper plastics. First question is will 96 plastics fit this bike? There is plenty of those kits all over the internet. Currently the only thing I can find online that is actually for a 91 time range is white plastics only and can only be bought piece by piece. When they are pieced together like that is it almost 350 bucks for all white plastics which isn't what I want. So if you know of a thread that can show me how to put 96 or newer plastics on or if they bolt up on their own please let me know. Or if you have better ideas for what to do for plastics let me know! Thanks.

Edited by Colton Kruse

You will be safe with plastics fitment from 91-93

Looks like you can choose any color as long as its white  :D

UFO do a kit - YAKIT91125K3

Thank you very much ! I didn’t have the ufo kit number and yeah I guess white it is ! Maybe I will paint a few of the pieces blue....we will see. Or maybe just stickers. Thanks again 

I reckon white looks shit hot on that model with the white frame

You can have either a red or pink scheme

1991YZ250-copy.jpg.3e55ff30e597c19fa3298c24eeb1874e.jpgcsteel91_1.jpg.f4f722d080f3cc4fd3fa119153240cd6.jpg

I actually have both the pink and the red. Not sure what I will do. Seems the full kits all are in Europe for some reason so it still ends up being around 300 bucks. Wish the 96 kit would fit. So much cheaper. For now I will have to attempt to refinish the beat to death plastics it came with. 

what country are you in ?

United States

I once put a gas tank from a 2002+ yz250 on a 1993 yz250.  We also put a 2002+ subframe, seat, rear fender, numberplates, airbox, front fender, and front plate on it. 

Its not very hard at all.  Get some aluminum flat stock to bridge the gaps between mounting holes.  You can do all of the adaptations necessary with basic hand tools.  

Thanks I might have to look into that. I am pretty deep price wise currently so I will wait and fix up these old panels. I have rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up so another 300 just for plastics just doesn’t feel good to me. Mechanically I will be good to go so I think I will piece the rest together over time. 

I guess another question. If I did a 96 update. I would need a tank. Plastics. Subframe and seat ? With the subframe change would I need a air box as well ? 

16 hours ago, Colton Kruse said:

For now I will have to attempt to refinish the beat to death plastics it came with. 

I had to do this with my 89 YZ250WR. I used a razor blade to shave off all the ruff spots and then I sanded them down. It turned it out very nice.

Yeah some are painted, some are bent and other are super yellowed from being so old. So going to be heating/reshaping, sanding and maybe repainting them if i have to. We will see what happens for now. Guess I expected the plastics to be a 100 dollar replacement but that isn't the case for these super old bikes. Oh well. 

3 hours ago, Colton Kruse said:

I guess another question. If I did a 96 update. I would need a tank. Plastics. Subframe and seat ? With the subframe change would I need a air box as well ? 

You can just put the 96+ gas tank on the bike.  You will have to trim the sides of your stock 1991 seat to make it look right.  Its wider than the top of the 96+ gas tank.  

If you want to run a 96+ seat, you will probably want a 96+ subframe.  I have a 96 YZ250 subframe, seat, gas tank, and shrouds that I'd sell you if you want.  I'll sell the whole setup cheaper than you will find anywhere else.  PM me if you want it. 

The deal-breaker is that the '91-'92 YZs have a welded-on subframe, so a wholesale swap would become a welding and fabrication nightmare. Plus would require airbox, seat, tank, possibly modifying exhaust, etc., which would put a burden on the budget. :eek:

On 3/14/2018 at 7:05 PM, CaptDan said:

The deal-breaker is that the '91-'92 YZs have a welded-on subframe, so a wholesale swap would become a welding and fabrication nightmare. Plus would require airbox, seat, tank, possibly modifying exhaust, etc., which would put a burden on the budget. :eek:

I just cut the subframe off when I did the swap.  Then you take like $5 and get some steel flat stock at the hardware store.  Making tabs out of flatstock takes about 10 minutes.  If you don't have a welder, it is not very hard to find somebody that will weld the tabs on for you.  And the bike I did it on had an FMF shorty on it.  All I had to do to mount the muffler was cut a section of aluminum flat rod a couple inches to bridge the gap between the bolt holes.

Yes it will require a new air box and seat.  The new tank is part of the project, regardless.  Those parts can be had on Ebay for pennies.  

It transforms the bike's cockpit.  Makes it narrower and flatter, which makes it easier to throw your weight around.  Plus it looks better :thumbsup:

I did the same exact swap on my 1985 Honda XR600R as well.  Except I used a 03-05 yz250/450f gas tank. 

My XR600R.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I have all that on my list right now. I am going to wait a while though. Going to get everything else ready. The complete engine rebuilt ate most of my rebuild money. I will probably do this in the future though. I love the way the 96 looks when it is put together, plus you can actually get some different plastics! 

Heres a thread of a similar swap 

Edited by dirtjumpordie

Update picture. If it posted right. Found some decent plastics for 100 bucks. Going with a red black and white look.

511A3AF6-8251-4254-8D26-226F69DC2A9E.jpeg