Modified Seats

Hey guys,

So this weekend I tripped and fell into a 2014 KTM 250 XCF-W. Yay! However, I’m 5’4 and the bike comes up to my [edit]chest[edit]. Boo. I’m getting the suspension done here soon and while that’s happening I’d like to get the seat modified to be shorter so it’s all done around the same time.

I tried to do this myself once and after days of stressing on how to get the cover back on, I ended up wrapping ductape around it and saying screw it. It was a mess. I was a mess. I’d rather have a professional do it.

I’ve searched the forum and haven’t found a post specific to this. I’ve googled, and have found some options.

However - I’d love to hear y’alls opinions.

Do you guys know from experience anyone to send the seat to?

What about seats that you can buy that have less foam? All the seats I see talk about weight but that’s it.

Thanks.

Get an air stapler from harbor freight and a box of 1/2" staples. Using a hand stapler will drive you nuts, but the air-driven staples go thru like butter. 20 minute job getting the cover back on now. I've done 4 seats now, first with a hand stapler was a nightmare, the others, no sweat.

Get an air stapler from harbor freight and a box of 1/2" staples. Using a hand stapler will drive you nuts, but the air-driven staples go thru like butter. 20 minute job getting the cover back on now. I've done 4 seats now, first with a hand stapler was a nightmare, the others, no sweat.
1/2 inch staples? I'd don't think I'd use anything that long! Might get painful.

OP,
I believe I already answered elsewhere. But shaving your seat or a lower replacement seat is a good first step. Unless you have skills or money for suspension work.

1/2 inch staples? I'd don't think I'd use anything that long! Might get painful.

OP,
I believe I already answered elsewhere. But shaving your seat or a lower replacement seat is a good first step. Unless you have skills or money for suspension work.

Yeah I’m sending it out to Durelle Racing as well to get suspension work done. I’m sending the seat to Travis at MOTOSEAT. Will update the other tread with pictures once it’s done.

Yes I agree 1/2" staples are too long, especially if you cut down your foam. I used 3/8" staples and a pnuematic stapler, I've tried a electric one berfore and it still was a pain in the ass. I have always had to cut down my seats I'm only 5'6" on a good day.

• 1 month later...

I'm barely 5'3" and ride a CRF250x bought a low seat foam kit from seat concepts. works great. Tried a hand stapler... no good, switched to an electric which was way better, but eventually I went to harbor freight and bought a pneumatic stapler which is by far the best option. Now everyone brings me their seats to recover. Super easy.  I also added a kouba link to mine to bring the rear down and had to adjust the front forks after that but works way better for me now. I ride mostly technical trails so I had to do something. But even after all of that I can still only tip toe one foot at a time on flat ground. I am always looking for a tree or low spot to stop on to prevent me from tipping over when I stop. A little practice and awareness goes a long ways.