Race Tech Gold Valve Anyone?

I don’t have the budget to buy a new shock for my DR650...way too pricey, considering rebuilding the OEM with a gold valve and 7.3 spring. I can do this myself for about $200.  Anyone using the gold valve in their shock please provide a review. At this point a 2X4 would probably perform better than the pogo shock, but this sounds like a pretty cost effective option unless it is a total waste of time. I have read that the OEM shock rebuild is not worth the time or money, but not from anyone that has actually done this...mostly from people trying to sell something.

IMO the stock DR shock is not that bad as far as budget dualsports go as it has a nitrogen bladder and low speed compression adjustment.  There is no reason why you can't install stiffer shim stacks and a stiffer spring and get decent performance.  That is assuming you have enough knowledge to determine a good shim stack setup.

That is all you are really getting with the Gold Valve.  A recommended baseline shim stack that should be pretty close.

I have a Cogent Dynamics drop in shock shaft in the stock valve body.  It does give my adjustable rebound which the stock shock does not have.  Honestly once I set the rebound I rarely touch it on this bike.  I went this route as I did not have any real tuning experience.

If I did it all again I would just reshim and respring the stock shock.   

I did go the gold valve route on my 650. Well worth the time/cost. At first it seemed a bit stiff in compression, but it controls the rear wheel thru washboard nicely. Soaks up big hits and isnt harsh.

No guesswork for the shim stack. Be honest about your ability/weight and requirements when getting valving setups from RaceTech.

20170112_094208.jpg.a9e3d65011d1b26194d538fcce3b3ad0.jpg

I would also recommend an upgrade for the forks as well, if not done already. 

Options abound. I went with R.T. cartridge emulators and stiffer springs. Takes a bit of fiddling around with oil weights and settings with emulators, but again, worth the time and effort. 

Edited by pumptrack
On 3/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, pumptrack said:

I did go the gold valve route on my 650. Well worth the time/cost. At first it seemed a bit stiff in compression, but it controls the rear wheel thru washboard nicely. Soaks up big hits and isnt harsh.

No guesswork for the shim stack. Be honest about your ability/weight and requirements when getting valving setups from RaceTech.

20170112_094208.jpg.a9e3d65011d1b26194d538fcce3b3ad0.jpg

I would also recommend an upgrade for the forks as well, if not done already. 

Options abound. I went with R.T. cartridge emulators and stiffer springs. Takes a bit of fiddling around with oil weights and settings with emulators, but again, worth the time and effort. 

Racetech has always recommended shim stacks on the stiff side.

Repeating, the nice thing about RaceTech is the stack recommendations. Modern shocks really don't need a Gold Valve. But you get everything you need to rebuild your stacks from RaceTech. Add a rebuild kit and the experience you get is sooooo worth the $200 price of admission.