Jump to content

2004 yz250 kyb sss

Recommended Posts

Howdy, I currently own a 2016 yz250f, but looking to make a switch back to the two strokes.  I am looking into buying a 2004 yz 250. I so like the steel framed bikes, but the suspension is sub-par compared the newer kyb sss. I found a guy who made the conversion to the new kyb sss forks and shock, but after talking on the phone with the guy I have a few questions.  I know that you will need updated triple clamps. I have also read that to make the conversion you have to make modifications to the steering stem to get it to fit the steel frame. Is this true? He was saying that all you have to do is replaces the triple clamps and its a bolt on upgrade. I just want to make sure the conversion was done correctly before I purchase the bike. Please let me know what you guys think. I have attached the link below. Thanks in advance.

https://athensga.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2004-yz250/6514596196.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC the steering stem for steel framed bikes is longer. Apart from lenght it's every bit the same as the alu frame one, so you should just press the longer one into the new triples.

Front wheels will work for anything from '02 and up. You will have to buy newer wheel spacers and maybe a newer brake caliper holder/mount. Not sure about this though. And a new front brake line if you want to run it new style on the inside of the fork.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply. does anything have to be done with the shock for the conversion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

From what I have heard (I have a set and will be putting them on my 04 for a trial) the fork tubes are the same as 04 and should slide right into the tripple clamp. This would be the best way to go because the steering stop on the frame to the triple clamp is different, and does not match up for a square hit on the SSS triple. It will only hit 1/2 of the stopper on the lower triple and start to mash if you crash a lot or hit hard turning the sharpest.

Many say that the stock forks on the 04 are great, and I agree. Mine are set up perfect for my riding (no track). I picked up a set for a great price (triple clamp/forks/brake system). I will be trying this combo out in spring (Lord willing). On the rear, I just had a newer shock revalved and will transfer my spring onto it.

No one persons suspension will be perfect for another (80%) of the time. If you are the same size/weight, than it could be a click difference. 

That is a good looking bike, and the price is pretty good for all the new parts. See if he put an hour meter on it and has all the reciepts for parts or work.

When you look at the bike, check the steering stopper and you will see what I mean. If he welded a larger tab on the frame before he had ot powder coated or painted, it's a supper plus. IMO

 

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forks should slide right in the stock clamps with no changes. 

I bought my SSS off a guy that had it on his 04 and he said it slides in the clamps, no issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

Forks should slide right in the stock clamps with no changes. 

I bought my SSS off a guy that had it on his 04 and he said it slides in the clamps, no issues.

Then the only difference could be the tripple offset (which obv doesn't mean anything in terms of fitment). Just shuffling all the possibilites, not really sure tho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Narciss said:

Then the only difference could be the tripple offset (which obv doesn't mean anything in terms of fitment). Just shuffling all the possibilites, not really sure tho.

Not even that. All two strokes have a 25mm offset. I think the problem comes from using different year triples with the wheel and axle, causing the legs to bow inwards and stick, as well as possibly moving the rotor in the wrong direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, if you use the triple from the SSS year, use the axle and spacers. You must use the brake caliper anyway.

If you use the 04 triple, then use the 04 axle, insure what spacers work to aling rotor with caliper, and never put the bow in or out on the fork legs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

Not even that. All two strokes have a 25mm offset. I think the problem comes from using different year triples with the wheel and axle, causing the legs to bow inwards and stick, as well as possibly moving the rotor in the wrong direction.

He said he used a later model upper and lower triples. Do you think I will run into problems in the future?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

Not even that. All two strokes have a 25mm offset. I think the problem comes from using different year triples with the wheel and axle, causing the legs to bow inwards and stick, as well as possibly moving the rotor in the wrong direction.

 

11 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

Right, if you use the triple from the SSS year, use the axle and spacers. You must use the brake caliper anyway.

If you use the 04 triple, then use the 04 axle, insure what spacers work to aling rotor with caliper, and never put the bow in or out on the fork legs. 

So if he is running a 2007 triple clamps, I would need to ensure that the 2007 axle is being used as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find myself in a similar situation, I have a complete front end(triple, wheel, forks, brakes) from and 09 250f. I want to swap it onto an 03 yz125. Will it just transfer over or will the stem be incorrect length?

I may just try it an see which will determine if I will need to pickup the 04 triple off ebay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Colby525 said:

 

So if he is running a 2007 triple clamps, I would need to ensure that the 2007 axle is being used as well?

06+ axle, or yours with correct spacers. 

 

30 minutes ago, RJC3PO said:

I find myself in a similar situation, I have a complete front end(triple, wheel, forks, brakes) from and 09 250f. I want to swap it onto an 03 yz125. Will it just transfer over or will the stem be incorrect length?

I may just try it an see which will determine if I will need to pickup the 04 triple off ebay.

I don’t know about the 125 specs for stems, but you should be able to press the 250f stem out and your 125 stem in the new clamps, and then use the set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, RJC3PO said:

I find myself in a similar situation, I have a complete front end(triple, wheel, forks, brakes) from and 09 250f. I want to swap it onto an 03 yz125. Will it just transfer over or will the stem be incorrect length?

I may just try it an see which will determine if I will need to pickup the 04 triple off ebay.

Steel 125 and 250 share the same triple and stem. 

If the guy that wants my 01-125 that I am building, I won't be doing what I was going to do. Swap the 04 250 on it, and the SSS on the 250. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SSS forks go right into 2004 YZ250 tripples.. I used 2004 tripples for my sss conversion

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Snider said:

The SSS forks go right into 2004 YZ250 tripples.. I used 2004 tripples for my sss conversion

That's it, You are the one that said that.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a really sano scotts tripple (04) I got off E bay for $30..

Scotts.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Snider said:

Here's a really sano scotts tripple (04) I got off E bay for $30..

Scotts.JPG

Nice, I already have a BRP upper with underbar scotts on my 04YZ250. Picked up a next to new Scotts for 188.00 off ebay and underbar for my 17WR250.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up the 04 over the weekend. I have a few questions. What is the length difference 06+ front axle compared to 04 models. Want to be sure the correct front axle was Installed for the sss conversion. Also, the cylinder head is in pretty bad shape. The bike ran fine over the weekend, but I wanted to pull the jug off to inspect the condition of the piston and cylinder. The cylinder and piston are in good shape, but the head is scarred pretty bad. What are y'alls thoughts on this and do you think I should have the head resurfaced or replaced. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colby525 said:

Picked up the 04 over the weekend. I have a few questions. What is the length difference 06+ front axle compared to 04 models. Want to be sure the correct front axle was Installed for the sss conversion. Also, the cylinder head is in pretty bad shape. The bike ran fine over the weekend, but I wanted to pull the jug off to inspect the condition of the piston and cylinder. The cylinder and piston are in good shape, but the head is scarred pretty bad. What are y'alls thoughts on this and do you think I should have the head resurfaced or replaced. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

Photos of the inside of the head? Machining the surface changes the volume, and would need to be corrected. they can be fine if no old piston chunks are imbeaded that could fall out.

The axle should fit without anything sticking out of the fork clamp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×