Shell Rotella Diesel T4 15w-40 for Suzuki LTR450?

Posted (edited)

Recently got a 08 Suzuki LTR 450, my first four stroke so I don't know too much yet about these engines. As far as I can figure out, the recommended oil for it is 10w-40 synthetic, but my local auto parts store doesn't have synthetic 10w-40 for gasoline engines, only this stuff (see pictures) that says it's for "Heavy Duty Diesel Engine". The guy there said the diesel label doesn't matter, he uses it in his quad (a 4x4).

So I want to know, can I use this oil in my 450? Or is it strictly for diesel? Have any of you used this oil? 

Thanks in advance. 

20180313_162720.jpg

20180313_162711.jpg

Edited by Syl Baer

Rotella 15w40 conventional or 5w40 syn will work great for you, many including myself have used it for years with great results!

Other non motorcycle specific oils ive used with great results.

Mobile 15w50 (personal favorite)

mobile 0w40

mobile 5w40 diesel truck

Used all of the above oils over the years with zero clutch slippage in many different atvs,dirt bikes and street bikes. Not saying any of them are the best or better than any of the motorcycle specific brands but they will all give you more than adequate protection.

22 minutes ago, jmd426 said:

Rotella 15w40 conventional or 5w40 syn will work great for you, many including myself have used it for years with great results!

Other non motorcycle specific oils ive used with great results.

Mobile 15w50 (personal favorite)

mobile 0w40

mobile 5w40 diesel truck

Used all of the above oils over the years with zero clutch slippage in many different atvs,dirt bikes and street bikes. Not saying any of them are the best or better than any of the motorcycle specific brands but they will all give you more than adequate protection.

What about either one of these two I posted? Would they work? They have a pretty limited selection at the store, I was hoping one of these 2 would be compatible with my quad. Thanks for the response. 

3 hours ago, Syl Baer said:

What about either one of these two I posted? Would they work? They have a pretty limited selection at the store, I was hoping one of these 2 would be compatible with my quad. Thanks for the response. 

The 15w40 will work fine and the 0w40 probably will to but i have no personal experience with that one

Whatever you do decide on, make sure it is JASO-MA certified, so it will work in a wet clutch application.

Car oils with friction modifiers will destroy your clutch fast. 

Conventional Rotella 15W40 will work great in the 450....ran it it mine for years. I use that in all my bikes/quads/sxs's.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 0:13 PM, dfesmire99 said:

Conventional Rotella 15W40 will work great in the 450....ran it it mine for years. I use that in all my bikes/quads/sxs's.

^^ Agreed. This stuff is good. Recommend by many.