How to make your motocross / dirtbike road legal UK

Message added by ThumperTalk

Hi All.

I have just finished getting my YZ 250 F road legal here in the UK and so I thought I would make a post about it in the hope that it makes someone elses life that little bit easier should they need to do it. There are lots of posts about this on the net but most are outdated already.

I will lay this out in steps for ease. These are the steps in which I did it. At this point I will assume you already have a bike and you want to know what to do next.

1. Contact the bike manufacturer.

Contact the above bike manufacturer and tell them you have purchased a bike and would like a 'Certificate of Newness'. Each manufacturer charges different money, for example Yamaha charged me £45 and it took 3 weeks to arrive and my friend has a Kawasaki and they charged him £42 and it arrived the following week.

2. MOT - You can only do this once you have the above certificate in your hand

Now after ringing around various MOT bays it become quite clear that this is a bit of grey area. Each testing bay had their own idea on how a "daytime MOT" should be done. These are the things you will need to look out for;

- Road legal tyres - They cannot say "not for road use" and should ideally have an "E" number of some sort on them.

- A Horn - Every single testing bay I called required a horn. You can get a strap on horn for about £20

- Rear Brake Light - Some testing bays told me I needed a rear brake light. In the end I didn't need 1 for my MOT but I fitted one afterwards using a Total Loss System*.

- Speedo - I did not need on but if you do get asked for one then you can download a speedo on your phone and attach that to your bike.

* For the total loss system I replaced the bango nuts for bango brake switches, added a cheap rear number plate holder with light and added a 10 battery holder pack under the seat then wired it up. If they ask for this then remember it does not have to run off the bike so don't worry about fitting heavy duty stators etc.

Each MOT tester is different so phone around and find the easiest way of doing it.

3. NOVA Declaration

Now at this point you should have an MOT certificate and a certificate of newness. Before you go any further, check your certificate of newness and if it states that the bike has been added to the NOVA database then you can move onto the next step. If not, then your bike has to be added to the NOVA database. You must do thi, I cannot stress that enough. If you do not have a NOVA reference on your certificate then follow the steps below;

- HMRC NOVA - Go to this site. Register or login

- DeeperBlue NOVA Walkthrough - This guy, Deeperblue,  has a step by step guide on YouTube. Follow this and you should have the bike added easily.

It is worth noting that the HMRC will want to see a copy of the reciept for the bike(my friend made me one on a bit of paper as I got it from him) and your certificate of newness.

4. V55/5

At this point you should have been accepted by NOVA, have your valid MOT and your certificate of newness.

- Order your V55/5 form here

- DeeperBlue V55/5 Walkthrough - This guy, Deeperblue,  has a step by step guide on YouTube. Follow this and you should have the form filled in and sent easily.

You will need to send a £55 registration fee and money for 1 years tax. You can check the current tax bracket for your bike at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/other-vehicle-tax-rates

Send off all required documents with the above V55/5 along with your cheque or postal order for your tax and registration.

5. Complete

If all went well you should have all your documents back in the post along with your new motorbike log book. Now all you need to do is get a number plate made up,  get some insurance and have some fun on your bike.

If I can help by answering any questions then I gladly will. Big big thank you to DeeperBlue for his help with the videos.

Mods/Admins, I hope this post is OK in these forums. There is so much stuff on the internet which is not clear so I wanted to help with that.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 4

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, Louis7 said:

Is it still the same process now? Also it may sound a silly question but how do you get your reg number or do they send it you?

Yes it's still the process as far as I'm aware. Honestly, it sounds like a pain but it's really not that bad. 

They send you documents with your new registration and you get a.number plate made. 

• 5 weeks later...

same process, not changed over the last couple of years. I use for mx to road or supermoto, classic or imported road bikes. into custom chops now and dont even need a front mudguard, but like most things if its on there it must be fixed tight. depending on rear light used, you might need a small reflector if there isnt one built in the lens.

you will probably get a note on the MOT "daylight use only". on piece of advice. go to a motorcycle MOT tester, keep away from car testers that do bike MOT's, a bit more lenient and they understand the system and bikes. I had trouble once with a trike and needing fog light and hazzard lights , so much so that the owner (waiting at my unit) was going to go down and belt the tester after the 4th attempt.

worse case scenario, for an MOT without NOVA you may have to go to a test centre , a bit daunting as official, my local bike tester makes me a cuppa while we are doing the test.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Chris North Jnr said:

Im just in the middle of doing a crf 250 do i have to insure it then send off the v55 to register and tax or do i just insure once i have all the stuff back

you will probably have to get a MOT as proof of roadworthieness, the days when you turned up at local DVLA office are gone. to give an idea, I lived in Chippenham Wiltshire years ago could take to Swindon or Bristol, join a queue and pay a fee then they would check paperwork and send V5 back a couple of weeks later. in exceptional cases take the bike down for their engineer to look at. then they said offices closed and would have to go to Portishead Bristol. Now its Swansea Wales.

obviously if its a UK spec bike its easier as odd bikes need a certificate of comformity and you may need proof from Honda UK.

have a read through https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations

use V55/5 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-a-used-vehicle-for-the-first-time-v555

if an altered vehicle https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

radically altered could mean wheel and brake changes, lighting and electrical changes or engine swaps. 2stroke motors into 4 stroke frames

adding kits like lighting can come under  https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitconverted-vehicles

they are a bit more lenient on bike conversions, obviously you cant add a numberplate until they tell you what it is , it will firstly be registered and tested on frame number, as for insurance, they will need registration number and need to know if radically altered.  sounds a lot but not really, Ive done Pontiac Firebird imported from Florida, Husky 510 into supermoto and a couple of chops, my son done CR500 motors into CRF450 and KTM 450 4 stroke frames and supermoto CR500 for racing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, I have registered with nova after following the link on the first post of how to do so, But they haven’t emailed any confirmation or asked to see invoice for the bike how do I no if it’s regustered or do I just now send off my v55 with the mot certificate and letter of authenticity? Thanks Luke 

On 3/14/2018 at 8:24 PM, fatpastyhead said:

Hi All.

I have just finished getting my YZ 250 F road legal here in the UK and so I thought I would make a post about it in the hope that it makes someone elses life that little bit easier should they need to do it. There are lots of posts about this on the net but most are outdated already.

I will lay this out in steps for ease. These are the steps in which I did it. At this point I will assume you already have a bike and you want to know what to do next.

1. Contact the bike manufacturer.

- Yamaha

- Kawasaki

- Suzuki

- Honda

- KTM - Give them a call

Contact the above bike manufacturer and tell them you have purchased a bike and would like a 'Certificate of Newness'. Each manufactuer charges different money, foe example Yamaha charged me £45 and it took 3 weeks to arrive and my friend has a Kawasaki and they charged him £42 and it arrived the following week.

2. MOT - You can only do this once you have the above certificate in your hand

Now after ringing around various MOT bays it become quite clear that this is a bit of grey area. Each testing bay had their own idea on how a "daytime MOT" should be done. These are the things you will need to look out for;

- Road legal tyres - They cannot say "not for road use" and should ideallly have an "E" number of some sort on them.

- A Horn - Every single testing bay I called required a horn. You can get a strap on horn from eBay for about £20

- Rear Brake Light - Some testing bays told me I needed a rear brake light. In the end I didn't need 1 for my MOT but I fitted one afterwards using a Total Loss System*.

- Speedo - I did not need on but if you do get asked for one then you can download a speedo on your phone and attach that to your bike.

* For the total loss system I replaced the bango nuts for bango brake switches, added a cheap rear number plate holder with light and added a 10 battery holder pack under the seat then wired it up. If they ask for this then remember it does not have to run off the bike so don't worry about fitting heavy duty stators etc.

Each MOT tester is different so phone around and find the easiest way of doing it.

3. NOVA Declaration

Now at this point you should have an MOT certificate and a certificate of newness. Before you go any further, check your certificate of newness and if it states that the bike has been added to the NOVA database then you can move onto the next step. If not, then your bike has to be added to the NOVA database. You must do thi, I cannot stress that enough. If you do not have a NOVA reference on your certificate then follow the steps below;

- HMRC NOVA - Go to this site. Register or login

- DeeperBlue NOVA Walkthrough - This guy, Deeperblue,  has a step by step guide on YouTube. Follow this and you should have the bike added easily.

It is worth noting that the HMRC will want to see a copy of the reciept for the bike(my friend made me one on a bit of paper as I got it from him) and your certificate of newness.

4. V55/5

At this point you should have been accepted by NOVA, have your valid MOT and your certificate of newness.

- Order your V55/5 form here

- DeeperBlue V55/5 Walkthrough - This guy, Deeperblue,  has a step by step guide on YouTube. Follow this and you should have the form filled in and sent easily.

You will need to send a £55 registration fee and money for 1 years tax. You can check the current tax bracket for your bike at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/other-vehicle-tax-rates

Send off all required documents with the above V55/5 along with your cheque or postal order for your tax and registration.

5. Complete

If all went well you should have all your documents back in the post along with your new motorbike log book. Now all you need to do is get a number plate made up,  get some insurance and have some fun on your bike.

If I can help by answering any questions then I gladly will. Big big thank you to DeeperBlue for his help with the videos.

Mods/Admins, I hope this post is OK in these forums. There is so much stuff on the internet which is not clear so I wanted to help with that.

Hi fatpastyhead, I have registered with nova after following the link on the first post of how to do so, But they haven’t emailed any confirmation or asked to see invoice for the bike how do I no if it’s regustered or do I just now send off my v55 with the mot certificate and letter of authenticity? Thanks Luke 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:59 AM, Chappy25 said:

I have my certificate of newness. How does my MOT station MOT my bike before without any documents ? Do they do it off the frame number ?

Hi Chappy, 

as in my post above, they register and issue the bike after its had an MOT, the MOT is done  on the frame number, a normal mot is carried out with reg number and last 6 digits of the frame number as security to stop people getting an mot using another plate.

you get an mot on the frame number, then get your application form, fill it in and take (if lucky enough and close enough nowadays) or send with mot, payment for road tax and possibly insurance. they keep the NOVA or original USA title. they keep the NOVA/Title so if you want it for history then photocopy before sending. the rest will be returned with new reg number written on the documents and official DVLA stamp on.

22 hours ago, Willard 78 said:

Hi guys, I have registered with nova after following the link on the first post of how to do so, But they haven’t emailed any confirmation or asked to see invoice for the bike how do I no if it’s regustered or do I just now send off my v55 with the mot certificate and letter of authenticity? Thanks Luke 

Willard, the NOVA is only proof that all customs/import duties have been paid. the NOVA should have been sent off with application and payment and other paperwork, as Ive replied to Chappy, I paid the duties at Southampton for my Firebird, the BSA A50 and B40 Im currently working on have NOVA's from the people/dealers who imported the bike and frame. the NOVA;s will be sent with application and if you want a copy, photocopy before you send it away as they keep the originals, any MOT or paperwork domne on frame number may be returned with new reg number written on top.

as for time line, its normally busy two times a year, when new registrations come out but also the start of the riding season is also busy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys after some advice, I brought a 2014 KTM 85 today and it has full log book already and data tag, but I don’t think it’s ever been on the road? So would I just need to get it MOT’d and then send off for the road tax at the post office with the MOT certificate?? TIA