New member, considering '14 350 EXC-F

Hi Folks!

Sorry if there are a bunch of threads already but I used the site's search function and didn't find anything so far...

I just found a decent deal on a '14 350 EXC-F with 11k km (unknown hours). Has a few goodies including skid plate, hand guards and it's for sale for about $2k CAD less than a '16 with 6k km on it.
The bike is in showroom condition (appearance) with no indication it has been offroad at all.

What would be the gotchas that would make this deal realistic? I'm coming from a WR250R where the engine lasts forever, is 11k street kms high for these bikes? 
Are there any big defects in the '14s that I haven't dug up yet?

With no service records what things should be done, checked, etc?

pull the magnet from the oil sump and take a look. mostly whats needed is valve adjust and clutch along with oil and filters. your yammy is a dog compared to the KTM it will make you happy

Thanks for the info! I take it the mileage doesn't raise many concerns? With the manual calling for a rebuild every 170hrs, it feels to me like it may be a bit long in the tooth.

That said, my experience has always been on bikes where the service intervals are measured in distance, not time!

Watch it! I'm keeping my beloved WR ;) 

I would say the the 11k km is very high kilometers. If it was looked after properly it might be o.k but no way of knowing that. There are some good deals on left over 2017 EXC's but not sure what your budget is. The 2017 250 EXC's can be had for 9.5K or less. If that's not in your budget be patient and wait for a low km one. There are quite a few people who buy these, put less than 1K km on them and then sell because they aren't using it enough.

13 minutes ago, jdepp said:

I would say the the 11k km is very high kilometers. If it was looked after properly it might be o.k but no way of knowing that. There are some good deals on left over 2017 EXC's but not sure what your budget is. The 2017 250 EXC's can be had for 9.5K or less. If that's not in your budget be patient and wait for a low km one. There are quite a few people who buy these, put less than 1K km on them and then sell because they aren't using it enough.

For that price you might as well get a 500. 😳

Things are a bit pricier up in the frozen North! A 500 is going to set you back around $15k + taxes in my area. All CAD of course.

I wasn't looking to buy this year, but at first this just seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I'm thinking next year or year after I'll pick up a leftover from the previous year. The EFI 2 strokes are also intriguing...

Here's the ad in case someone is willing to take a bigger risk than I:
http://www.motosillimitees.com/en/powersports/used/ktm-350-exc-f-2014/10135318/

Things are a bit pricier up in the frozen North! A 500 is going to set you back around $15k + taxes in my area. All CAD of course.
I wasn't looking to buy this year, but at first this just seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I'm thinking next year or year after I'll pick up a leftover from the previous year. The EFI 2 strokes are also intriguing...

Here's the ad in case someone is willing to take a bigger risk than I:
http://www.motosillimitees.com/en/powersports/used/ktm-350-exc-f-2014/10135318/

Just my 2 cents worth but having owned a couple dozen KTM-Penton s over the years.You can judge how it was ridden by how much wear is on the clutch cover.When I was racing I rubbed all the paint off cover in 1 season Enduro.Now I’m DS mainly,In 12000 miles (19000 KIl ) my clutch cover looks almost new.My 500 is within 1 thousands valve adjustment even after those miles,Uses no oil even.Good luck on your purchase.

17 hours ago, stevethe said:

For that price you might as well get a 500. 😳

yes I would opt for the new 500

There are a 17 On Cycle Trade used for $9500.Do you know someone in states.Or do you get a break on used.Is 6995 Canadian $.If So Maybe a deal.

10 hours ago, Jackh1466 said:

Just my 2 cents worth but having owned a couple dozen KTM-Penton s over the years.You can judge how it was ridden by how much wear is on the clutch cover.When I was racing I rubbed all the paint off cover in 1 season Enduro.Now I’m DS mainly,In 12000 miles (19000 KIl ) my clutch cover looks almost new.My 500 is within 1 thousands valve adjustment even after those miles,Uses no oil even.Good luck on your purchase.

Cant always tell by the clutch cover but it in general it can tell  you something. I had brand new 14 350 EXC and after only 800 kilometers the clutch cover was scuffed up. I know the newer KTM's they have made the paint on the covers much tougher

3 minutes ago, jdepp said:

Cant always tell by the clutch cover but it in general it can tell  you something. I had brand new 14 350 EXC and after only 800 kilometers the clutch cover was scuffed up.

Yeah, that's true

MX boots are very hard on the covers with steel toe plates, paint has no chance if you touch the cover with them. Only takes a cover rides to look bad, and its all because of the boot type.