CHANGE your clutch hydralic fluid

Next chance I get, next week, I'm going to do it.  

I'm going to hope for better clutch action from my 2017.  It sure can't hurt as like you, Kran, I have never paid much attention to the hydro-clutches in all my other, Jap-streetbikes.  

• 3 weeks later...

I changed out both the clutch and brake fluids.  Replaced them both with Motul DOT4.  Have not ridden, yet. I will be looking forward to a change in the clutch feel, that will be nice.  

I changed the rear brake fluid a week ago and did the oil/filter/trans-oil change today.  All fluids are new for this upcoming spring season. 

The clutch fluid was pretty discolored.  

My x-mission fluid came out a cream color.  I think it was from the cold/condensation from all the riding this past winter.  The motor oil was normal looking as I had used a 0W-40 Mystik snow-machine oil in both sumps and I'll be using it again next winter.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

And maybe also check you slave cylinder. I just decided to go with the 2014 slave cylinder due to what seemed like a hard to pull clutch, this is what I found. It might be hard to see in the pics, the rubber boot is pinched and tearing and out of shape. The new cylinder allegedly has a slightly larger cylinder but it looks the same. It does feel a little lighter now so that's at least an improvement. BTW this 2017 430-rrs only has 6 hours on it.

IMG_1673.JPGIMG_1672.JPG

• Like 1

That's sloppy assy that pinched the boot , my '13 was like that.  That boot, IMO, is there to separate the slave piston oring from the trans oil, as there different material requirements.  From owning a lot of GGs, in the bikes that used DOT4 in the clutch system, the dark looking fluid was from the slave oring breaking down, so perhaps this is a good idea.  I just rebuilt mine this winter.  What I found odd was the Brembo clutch master rubber boot under the cover was very swollen, like it was in contact with oil, but it was not.

I've noticed since new my clutch fluid always has a black murkiness to it in the master cylinder reservoir, even right after changing it and riding a few times.  I have also noticed that clutch master cylinder always seems to have a slight wetness around the outside where the lid bolts down.. Guess it slightly weeps at times there?  The rubber boot is seated properly to.  When I first noticed the murkiness I equated it to the fluid reacting to the matte black paint / coating on the master cyliner.  And or a slight amount of water getting into the master cylinder from washing or rain.  I may be totally wrong on that.  Either way I haven't noticed any effects in the clutch pull or engagement.  Seems to work perfect.  

You can kinda see the darker color around the lid here.  Doesn't look wet at this moment, but does look like it was at one point.  And that was not caused from when I changed the fluid.  I always clean it up well right after a fluid change.

IMG_7096.JPG

Edited by NW_drZ

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice. I'm a believer now.   I never changed brake or clutch fluid before this weekend.  My 16 500rs clutch slave gaskets failed sometime over the winter in storage.  The gasket in the slave fell apart when I pulled it apart to check it.  That was in less than 2 yrs of moderate temps and riding conditions.  I'll be changing brake and clutch fluid every year now.  Never did find a rebuild kit for the slave or the master. Just ended up replacing the slave with the larger 14 model.  

• Like 1