Which fork oil?

Changing out my fork oil on a new to me 650l. What's generally recommended for stock springs and valving? 

Edited by TheLastByte

I'm about 185 lbs. and I like 20 wt. oil in them.

11 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

I'm about 185 lbs. and I like 20 wt. oil in them.

Is your bike stock? The factory fork oil is somewhere around 7.5wt as far as I know, doesn't 20wt feel a bit firm?

.  That's the whole idea. The compression damping is adjustable , rebound is adjusted by the oil weight.  Run the 20 and back off the compression damping a little 

atf is 10w, same idea, less cost

7 hours ago, garthr said:

atf is 10w, same idea, less cost

Which atf? I was looking into that earlier, but was under the impression viscosity varies brand to brand. 

53 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

Which atf? I was looking into that earlier, but was under the impression viscosity varies brand to brand. 

This stuff works well in my otherwise stock forks:

8020023_mxl_vv324_pri_larg.jpg

Edited by ScottRNelson
25 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

This stuff works well in my otherwise stock forks:

8020023_mxl_vv324_pri_larg.jpg

What dedicated fork oil would this be roughly equivalent to?

5 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

What dedicated fork oil would this be roughly equivalent to?

That's something you're going to have to ask Google, my friend.

4 minutes ago, ScottRNelson said:

That's something you're going to have to ask Google, my friend.

Fair enough. How much difference do you feel between this and the stock fluid? Much more or less damping?

14 minutes ago, TheLastByte said:

Fair enough. How much difference do you feel between this and the stock fluid? Much more or less damping?

I would compare it to 10 wt fork oil, but it's cheaper.  Somebody suggested it on here a few years back.  I had decided that my bike had fork oil that was at least ten years old, so maybe time to change it.  My suspension felt pretty much the same after the change.

My suspension works well enough both on the street and off road for the type of riding that I do.  I'm not in the camp that says suspension changes are the first thing you should do to one of these bikes, because it works good enough for my needs.  I have had suspension work done on other bikes, though, because it made a difference for them.

ATF is roughly 7.5 wt. If you like your spongey stock forks the way they are now , use this.