Markl5557

Is it ok to stwitch from normal non synthetic oil to synthetic ?

69 posts in this topic

I am currently running 10w 40 Belray non synthetic and I want to switch to full synthetic amsoil .... is it ok to switch from regular to synthetic? I have read it’s not safe to go from synthetic to regular can someone explain if it’s safe to go from regular to synthetic!? Thanks !

1 person likes this

My guess is that this is left over from long ago when seals were not meant for synthetic oil. Today, as long as you drain first, I do not personally know of any issues this could cause.

FROM  THE FOLKS AT EXXON MOBIL

"In general, oils should be compatible with each other. It is not likely that you would form gel by mixing the two oils. However, we would not recommend mixing oils as a general practice because oils are complex mixtures of additives and base oils that can be destabilized. Also, why reduce the outstanding performance of Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oils by adding “regular oil”? Is it economics? You would be better to run all Mobil 1 and run it longer than mixing it with “regular oil.”"

4 people like this

If your oil is in the manufacturer recommended specs, use it and don't worry about what was used before. 

5 people like this

Thanks guys !

8 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

You can switch back & forth anytime.

Thanks diver appreciate you always answering my questions promptly much appreciated!

3 people like this

I've done it and added non synthetic to synthetic to top off before. Never noticed any I'll effects as long as you change it when it should be changed.

4 people like this

Many synthetics are actually a conventional, mineral base oil that has been hydrocracked.  They are chemically the same as a conventional oil but they behave comparably to a fully synthetic oil. 

Draining and filling with a different oil can't really be considered mixing in any case.  There will be a small amount of oil left in he engine but not enough to worry about.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Its a drz, you can run them on mud and piss for thousands of miles lol

While this may be tempting, it don't work. Guy in high school actually put Pepsi-Cola in the crank to lubricate his 1981 XR200. It didn't work well for him. My advice is to bulk up on 10W40 of any brand (and especially automotive oriented since it meets the API requirements!) when it's on sale. The DRZ don't care if it's synthetic, semi-synthetic, or conventional let alone brand.

Edited by shrubitup
4 people like this

While this may be tempting, it don't work. Guy in high school actually put Pepsi-Cola in the crank to lubricate his 1981 XR200. It didn't work well for him. My advice is to bulk up on 10W40 of any brand when it's on sale. The DRZ don't care if it's synthetic, semi-synthetic, or conventional let alone brand.
I poured water into a Honda 1.5 dx sohc motor and ran it wide open against the limiter for a full ten minutes, i got bored before it siezed.
4 people like this

8 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

What about Rotella

giphy.gif

5 people like this

3 hours ago, LSHD said:

My guess is that this is left over from long ago when seals were not meant for synthetic oil. Today, as long as you drain first, I do not personally know of any issues this could cause.

FROM  THE FOLKS AT EXXON MOBIL

"In general, oils should be compatible with each other. It is not likely that you would form gel by mixing the two oils. However, we would not recommend mixing oils as a general practice because oils are complex mixtures of additives and base oils that can be destabilized. Also, why reduce the outstanding performance of Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oils by adding “regular oil”? Is it economics? You would be better to run all Mobil 1 and run it longer than mixing it with “regular oil.”"

This is right.  I occasionally rebuild 70s hondas, and do not like to use synthetic for that reason.  I don't trust 70s and even 80s seals to hold up to synthetic oil.  If you have a modern engine, you should be fine.  I prefer synthetic as it performs more consistently across a wide temp range, and can last a bit longer between oil changes.  For older Hondas I use Rotella.  Cheap stuff, more frequent oil changes.

4 people like this

I poured water into a Honda 1.5 dx sohc motor and ran it wide open against the limiter for a full ten minutes, i got bored before it siezed.
You must have hated that Honda
5 people like this

Pretty much standard procedure for me. I like to make stuff fail. There is usually a bet and some alcohol involved.

Says a lot about the DRZ !...
4 people like this

Ooh, i don't treat MY stuff that way lol.

Ok when I make my way over to Oregon some day & bring a 'buddy bike' for Wayne, I'll be sure not to bring you one lol...J/K.
3 people like this

Ok when I make my way over to Oregon some day & bring a 'buddy bike' for Wayne, I'll be sure not to bring you one lol...J/K.
Get out here sooner than later man! Oregon is awesome to look at.
3 people like this

3 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Oregon is awesome to look at.

Unless you're from Massachusetts

1 person likes this