Idaho Summer trails - how early?

I am going to head up to Idaho for the summer to live in my truck camper and ride. I plan on getting situated in Ketchum, Stanley & McCall to ride the areas around them through the summer.

So my question is - how early can I head up there? I like the idea of getting up there in time to race the Idaho City 100 but want to make sure there is plenty of riding options still in June.

I will carry a chainsaw for as long as I need to but would rather not have to be figuring out the trail systems while punching snow drifts.

Also any tips on the timing order to visit Ketchum, Stanley & McCall areas as they open up for the summer.

Thanks in advance. (would love tips on riding areas not obvious on the MVUM's in PM as well).

I am going to head up to Idaho for the summer to live in my truck camper and ride. I plan on getting situated in Ketchum, Stanley & McCall to ride the areas around them through the summer.
So my question is - how early can I head up there? I like the idea of getting up there in time to race the Idaho City 100 but want to make sure there is plenty of riding options still in June.
I will carry a chainsaw for as long as I need to but would rather not have to be figuring out the trail systems while punching snow drifts.
Also any tips on the timing order to visit Ketchum, Stanley & McCall areas as they open up for the summer.
Thanks in advance. (would love tips on riding areas not obvious on the MVUM's in PM as well).
There's no good riding in Idaho.@TigerTanker
6 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

There's no good riding in Idaho.@TigerTanker

Totally overratted 

Sounds just like Colorado.

Just now, zzsean said:

Sounds just like Colorado.

Colorado at least has Coors. 

McCall sucks.

I live in Ketchum and the singletrack is snowbound until the first week of June in the high trails. 

Sawtooth’s are still skiing snow lasts a while in Stanley.

Edited by Montanahusky

Call the respective ranger district offices and ask them. They willl have a rough idea of how the current snow pack in their district relates to trails opening. Plus, you may be able to get out sooner if you get on their pre-approved list for trail clearing, though timing for that might not work out if you need to do a chain saw cert class or something first.  Good luck! 

Also, if you haven't seen it already, there is an online trail map from the state of Idaho, shows all single track, ATV, SXS, roads etc. Interactive, really cool.  You can zoom/navigate turn on/off different map layers. The Layer List - upper right 3 stacked squares - is where you can turn on/off map layers.

https://trails.idaho.gov/ 

Not sure how things will shape up this year as the this winter seems light.  Typically you will encounter drifts on or near the peaks into early July in the higher elevations.

Get the bill dart maps and have fun

On 3/29/2018 at 1:59 AM, KaToomTime said:

Call the respective ranger district offices and ask them. They willl have a rough idea of how the current snow pack in their district relates to trails opening. Plus, you may be able to get out sooner if you get on their pre-approved list for trail clearing, though timing for that might not work out if you need to do a chain saw cert class or something first.  Good luck! 

Also, if you haven't seen it already, there is an online trail map from the state of Idaho, shows all single track, ATV, SXS, roads etc. Interactive, really cool.  You can zoom/navigate turn on/off different map layers. The Layer List - upper right 3 stacked squares - is where you can turn on/off map layers.

https://trails.idaho.gov/ 

Does Idaho require chain saw certifications to clear trail early season?

I have been carry a chain saw and clear trails in Colorado for the past few years but have never bother getting a formal certification.

but I will definitely call the ranger districts as well.

Mostly what I am looking for at the moment is how early I can head up that way to start riding and am happy to join local groups to help with trail clearing early in the summer.

20 minutes ago, zzsean said:

Does Idaho require chain saw certifications to clear trail early season?

I have been carry a chain saw and clear trails in Colorado for the past few years but have never bother getting a formal certification.

but I will definitely call the ranger districts as well.

Mostly what I am looking for at the moment is how early I can head up that way to start riding and am happy to join local groups to help with trail clearing early in the summer.

Treasure Valley Trail Machine Association or Boise Ridge Riders would likely be the ones to contact, group wise anyways.

General ride and clearing whats in your way, no cert needed.   A saw cert would be needed if you were clearing with forest service or possibly on a formal club clearing. 

you can, and probably should, carry a saw for the sole purpose of getting back out :)

Dont forget river crossings are an issue until mid to late July too

Started clearing trails yesterday. PM if you want to ride/clear trails.