Thinking (too much?) about jetting

I've read a lot of threads about this but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.  I'm pulling my 2004 DRZ400S out of storage sometime this week and getting it ready for the season.  I live at 9,000 ft, but my first ride of the year is probably going to be at around 5,000 ft.  I was going to pull the 145 main jet I'm running and put in the 150 adjusting the needle from the 2 clip to the 3rd, then re-jet once I got home.  I already have the extended fuel mixture screw in place so I started thinking that I should just run the 150 jet set up and adjust the fuel screw to compensate for the higher elevation where I'll be doing most of my riding.  I will be going down in elevation for rides until late May or June depending on snowfall, but riding on the street when I'm able.  Are there any disadvantages with this?

I'm new to posting on this forum, so please forgive me if I didn't get the right search words in and there is already a post about this.

Bgringo, 2 pieces of advice:

The first is this link to a Google Sheet with all kinds of jetting scenarios:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HNSB3DrqJqHTInjVDKKS4HNSHZPbdK0ElbfNI5HxuZg/edit?hl=en#gid=1172546203

The second is just my experience with a JD Jet kit living in Boulder (5,500ft and typically riding up in the mountains around 9k).  I tried jetting for high altitude with a 145 main jet and red needle on second position from the top.  Riding at 5,500 I felt like the bike was running rather lean.  I adjusted to a 150 main and red needle on third position and now it runs great, at least at 5,500ft.  I did also install an MRD Z-Pro exhaust at the same time as my re-jet, so it's somewhat difficult to compare the two jetting postions.

Perhaps the only good thing about the Mikuni carburetor on our bikes is that it supposedly adjusts itself for altitude changes better than the FCR...

My previous thread on this topic is here:

Good luck.

• Like 1

I am running a 155 main,blue needle clip 3 and 25 pilot at 1753m above sea level with the JD kit,powerbomb header and fmf pipe with a foam filter-runs like a bat out of hell.These settings were according to James Dean by the way.

Thanks RockyMntnMike,

I did read your post about elevation jetting and the spreadsheet of data.  I'm reverse of most of the posts I read about it.  I'm already up high and am looking for the lazy way to change to a lower and then back to higher without having to swap the jets every other ride.  I'm just trying to find out if I go with a richer jetting and then dial off the fuel using the fuel screw will it work?  I haven't seen anything out there mentioning it, so I'm just going to do it and see what happens.

5 hours ago, Bgringo said:

Thanks RockyMntnMike,

I did read your post about elevation jetting and the spreadsheet of data.  I'm reverse of most of the posts I read about it.  I'm already up high and am looking for the lazy way to change to a lower and then back to higher without having to swap the jets every other ride.  I'm just trying to find out if I go with a richer jetting and then dial off the fuel using the fuel screw will it work?  I haven't seen anything out there mentioning it, so I'm just going to do it and see what happens.

Won't have much effect except idle and a bit more.  I'd jet just a bit rich on the mj at 9k and move the clip around until I found an acceptable compromise for the elevation changes, if there is one.

Edited by npm

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By antonyp
      Hey Guys,
      I recently bought a 2003 DRZ400S and thought it would be a good idea to check the valves clearance etc . I timed the engine on TDC with the magneto mark aligned as per the manual but I find the cam timing slightly odd. The arrows pointing upward are on the 1st and 15th pin as they should but with the magneto timing mark aligned they are not perfectly straight. Same goes for the arrows that should be parallel to the cylinder head casing. Is this normal or should they be absolutely perfect ?

• By Ninja pig234
      I recently bought a 2000 Drz400s and cant get the fcr carb adjusted properly.  The bike has 434 big bore kit, fcr39, 3X3 mod, and slip on DG exhaust. Was wondering if anybody else has this set up and what jets they are running or any idea what to fix.  
      Currently the bike keeps breaking up 
    • By Woody Oakson
      I have a 2008 YZ450F with a stock header pipe and Pro Circuit T-4 Slip-On Exhaust. I'm 99% sure the slip on is shot because its loud as hell and when I take it off and shake it it rattles. I would repack it but the screws are all stripped ect.
      Anyways I've gone over the carb multiple times and I've got it running pretty well. The only issue I have with the bike is that it sputters and pops around 1/2 throttle when I hold it there. When I give it full throttle from any RPM it runs great or when I give it about 3/4 throttle it spins up like a top to redline.
      Initially the popping and sputtering was way worse I made the situation better by moving the pilot jet up in a few sizes from a 45 (stock) to a 62. The issue has gotten way better since then but I'm not super sure what to do from here. Should I keep moving my pilot jet up in size because that's a pretty large jump right? I tried changing my needle clip position but that didn't help much if anything it just made starting it worse and little to no impact on the ride.
      Any input on this would be helpful. I don't want to buy other slip on. Also as for the rest of the carb I'm very sure everything else in it is what it needs to be at. I've replaced all the gaskets and O-rings cleaned all the jets, valve holes ect. fixed the accelerator pump timing. I just thinks its strange that my pilot jet size is going so far from the stock 45, but all symptoms point to the bike running lean.
    • By Zach7018
      I've been riding my 2002 400s with stock 15/44 gearing for a while now. Unfortunately I find myself having to do a lot more highway than I would like to, to get to where I want to ride the dirt. I'm building the bike into a light adventure bike and I don't ride any super technical trails (I don't want to completely lose that ability though) but I do like some so-cal mountain trails. I anticipate a lot more highway miles in the future in order to reach the trails I'd like to ride, also meaning I'll be adding a little weight, camping gear etc.( I am a 150lb rider) I saw a 43t rear sprocket available, would 15/43 make any noticeable difference in my highway rpms (65-75) and how much damage would it do to my abilities on the trail. I would also like to know the same for 15/41 and if anyone can let me know what changes in chain would need to be made. This will be my first time experimenting with a gearing change on any bike that I have owned.
      Bike has 3/3 mod done, stock exhaust and a JD Jet Kit.
    • By Southwest ORV
      Hello friends, 
      I have seen some discussion about DRZ400 (DRZ400S, etc) vs whatever other bike, when it comes to power. My riding buddy and I threw down some good old drag races this morning on the way back home after some adventure in the forest. I own/ride a 2002 KLX300R. We ran two heats, one on gravel, then one one asphalt. Who do you think won? See below: