Sign in to follow this  

Acerbis 4.1 gallon (#2140800147) Tank Installation Instructions - '05 450X

Hi all,

I picked up an Acerbis 4.1 gal fuel tank (#2140800147) for my 2005 CRF 450X off craigslist and need some help installing it.  I'm confused on how to run the fuel lines from the wings and where they are supposed to tap in to the main lines.  I know I'm supposed to use some T fitting but just not sure where to tap them into - the main or reserve line between the bottom tank outlet and the petcock?  Or I found some information showing the wing fuel outlets should T in the fuel line between the petcock and the carburetor input?  Can someone please help me and share pictures of your install, the manual, or describe how to install it?  I have everything off my stock tank installed on the Acerbis and it's in place, I just need to figure out how to run the lines.  Thanks!

Hi there,

I've got the same tank on my '13 450x.

Here's a capture from a video.
I've used goodyear fuel hose (thick and reinforced) and brass  Ts.

You can see that there's a brass T that has hoses going to the left wing and the stock petcock and then back towards the carb. Then there's another T before the carb where the hose from the right wing comes in and then a short chunk that goes from that T to the carb.

The hose from the right wing goes up and over the valve cover. The thick goodyear hoses mitigate the danger of the hose chafing through.

Hope that helps. If you're into offroad riding, my buddy Daan and I have created a facebook group called "Wanduro. Enduro Adventuring" and a facebook page called "Wanduro" where you can connect with other like-minded riders.

acerbis hookup.jpg

Thank you so much, this is very helpful!  The thing that confuses me, is why do you T these in after the petcock and before the carb?  Wouldn't you want these to run in before the petcock?  If they T in after the petcock, then you can't control the fuel flow from these sides with the petcock, so do you just control them by opening the sides when you need them and keeping them closed the rest of the time as a sort of reserve?

And thanks I'll check out your Facebook group and join!

Edited by DaxxRuckus
addition at bottom

I usually just leave all the valves open all the time (petcock and two wing valves). So everything drains more or less at the same rate. Having an open connection through the hoses between all three valves keeps the fuel level in all three "chambers" the same as fuel levels will equalize through the hoses. That being said, the center part will keep a pool of reserve fuel as long as you don't switch the main petcock to reserve or tip the bike over and slosh the reserve pool into one of the wings. 

My concern was I like to turn the petcock off after riding when the bike is sitting in the garage.  With those T'ing in between the petcock and carb, then I have to shut them off on the tank in order to drain keep gas from flowing when the bike is sitting?  I just have problems with the carb gumming up when sitting so I like to shut the gas off and run the bike dry (and use fuel stabilizer) when the bike sits for any amount of time.

Thanks!

yes, you'd need to turn off the two wing valves and the petcock valve and then run the bike until the carb's dry if you're going to store it for any length of time. The longest I go between uses is about 3 weeks it hasn't been an issue yet.

If you want to see more about how I've set up my 450, check out the video at http://www.wanduro.com/crf450x-mods-walkaround-and-startup/

This is awesome info, thanks calrider. I've got a 2008 CRF450X that I'm putting an IMS tank on and was wondering this as well. Where do you guys get the T's at?

Instead of running the right wing petcock hose over or behind the valve cover, I prefer to run it in front of the head with a heat protective sleeve on it. Run it to a Tee just before the LEFT wing petcock, and the third leg of the Tee runs to a Tee between the stock petcock and carb. While you're cutting in those Tees add a simple screen type filter before the carb...use the stock clamp that the hose runs through to hold the filter. 

Edited by bajabinder
Disslexia

6 hours ago, fadingfastfc said:

This is awesome info, thanks calrider. I've got a 2008 CRF450X that I'm putting an IMS tank on and was wondering this as well. Where do you guys get the T's at?

Glad I could help. I also have an IMS tank, but the smaller one that doesn't have "wings" and uses the stock shrouds. You'll be happy with the extra range. :)

I run things differently on mine, so just to give another option, I just run fuel from the left hand bottom fuel tap to the carb, the stock fuel tap is connected to the tank, but I don't connect it to my carburetor, just leave the tap turned off, put a rubber cap over the outlet of the tap so dirt doesn't get in it. I do not connect any fuel line to the fuel tap on the right hand side of the tank either, so just a single outlet from the left hand side of the tank going to the carb. This means that if a friend runs out of gas I can put a fuel container under the right hand fuel tap and easily get fuel to put in the other bike. Equally I can run my bike until it dies, with this setup the left hand side of the tank is empty when it dies, but the right hand side still has more than 1/2 gallon of fuel, so once it dies, I just lie the bike on its left hand side, the fuel runs across from the right side to the left and I now know that I need to get fuel in the next 20 miles. this setup also means I have not had to cut the fuel lines and insert T pieces and I still have a reserve fuel supply (just need to put the bike on its side for a few seconds to get access to the reserve fuel)!!

Just another idea..

Gary

• Like 1

Nice, thanks for the idea Gary! I set mine up like the guys talked about above, but I don't love all the tubing everywhere. I may try your setup in a bit.

Thanks for the details Gary, thats a great way to do it.  I already got mine set up the standard way with the T fittings as well, but may switch over to your way at some point in the future as well.  Appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1