Dog for Trail Riding - best breed?

I am planning on getting a dog and wanted to reach out for suggestions on what breed would be best , trail riding wise

Some qualities I envision when thinking of a trail dog: high endurance for running trails, navigation intelligence for not getting lost, protection from crazy people/wild animals that could attack me, etc...

Can dogs be trained to go through trails, and then be able to find the way back? 

I wanted a medium-large sized dog for protection at my house, but would like to consider trail-riding in my breed selection as it could be our favorite activity to do with a dog (so would be great to get a dog more specialized in that)

Thanks

Border Collies are pretty good trail dogs.  My son and I went to Moab with his FJ40 and my Jeep JK back in 2012.  Had Dan Mick show us around for a week.  His dog Sparky pretty much ran everything we did.  He'd lead the way often times, and venture off sometimes, but always stayed very nearby.

Since then, my son now has a lab/border collie mix.  His dog does the same thing.  He taught it to walk off-leash, then started walking trails with it, then started letting it go with him.  

I have a neighbor with a German Shorthaired Pointer.  It's also a very smart dog and does very well off leash on the trails.

I would imagine Australian Shepherds and Blue Healers to also be pretty good trail dogs.  I think it's key for a good trail dog to be good natured to be off leash anywhere, and a "working" type dog with high endurance and smarts.

Just my opinion/experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

Border Collies are pretty good trail dogs.  My son and I went to Moab with his FJ40 and my Jeep JK back in 2012.  Had Dan Mick show us around for a week.  His dog Sparky pretty much ran everything we did.  He'd lead the way often times, and venture off sometimes, but always stayed very nearby.

Since then, my son now has a lab/border collie mix.  His dog does the same thing.  He taught it to walk off-leash, then started walking trails with it, then started letting it go with him.  

I have a neighbor with a German Shorthaired Pointer.  It's also a very smart dog and does very well off leash on the trails.

I would imagine Australian Shepherds and Blue Healers to also be pretty good trail dogs.  I think it's key for a good trail dog to be good natured to be off leash anywhere, and a "working" type dog with high endurance and smarts.

Just my opinion/experience.

Very nice suggestions - thank you

Seems so many great breeds out there - going to be a difficult decision

German Short haired pointer looks interesting, says bread for hunting... I think overall intelligence is most preferred trait

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one that see this as a short sided post?
1. The danger you put your animal in chasing you on remote trails, tearing their pads of the their feet, spraining ankles etc. etc.
2. Getting too close when riding and then riding over them
3. The cardiovascular of any breed would fail in short order on any decent trail.

I’ve owned hunting dogs for over 20 years and have owned at least 12 DS and Enduro bikes, even built my last house on the edge of 500k acres of BLM land just to ride my dirt/DS bikes. My Dogs stay safely at home....

• Like 4

I wouldn't do that. I tried it once with a mountain bike, and what was an easy ride for me came very close to killing a very fit doberman. It took him 2 weeks to recover, and I realized how stupid I had been. I can't imagine doing that with a motorcycle.

19 minutes ago, Mark-us-B said:

1. The danger you put your animal in chasing you on remote trails, tearing their pads of the their feet, spraining ankles etc. etc.
3. The cardiovascular of any breed would fail in short order on any decent trail.

I’ve owned hunting dogs for over 20 years and have owned at least 12 DS and Enduro bikes, even built my last house on the edge of 500k acres of BLM land just to ride my dirt/DS bikes. My Dogs stay safely at home....

I see dogs as much more than caged animals.  I guess you wouldn't take a hunting dog over similar terrain and shoot over them either?

Have to be careful and teach them the ropes, but they make great trail and hunting companions, and they beg to go.  

To each his own . . .

I see dogs as much more than caged animals.  I guess you wouldn't take a hunting dog over similar terrain and shoot over them either?
Have to be careful and teach them the ropes, but they make great trail and hunting companions, and they beg to go.  
To each his own . . .

Caged animals no. I presently have 2 hunting dogs that retrieve ducks/pheasants/geese for me and they hike on a weekly basis and hunt with me during the season. I just elect not to get them caught up in a motorized vehicle. Yes they love to travel in my Jeep rubicon and even back pack in the Sierras.
I’ve had too many of my dogs pads sewn back together, even spent in excess of $5k repairing an elbow from a tall jump off a rock.

So please.....
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kompact said:

Get a Husky, they are used as sled dogs and can run all day with no ill effect.

Depending on climate, heat could be an issue w/ a husky. My old neighbor had an Australian Heeler and she could do about 30 miles without getting hobbled, if she went further than that she'd limp for a day or so. Also, if he got way ahead of her he could keep going and she'd catch up at some point. I've seen her roll back into camp 30 minutes later after blasting really fast stuff or fs roads. Pretty amazing how she navigates.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, schrode said:

Depending on climate, heat could be an issue w/ a husky. My old neighbor had an Australian Heeler and she could do about 30 miles without getting hobbled, if she went further than that she'd limp for a day or so. Also, if he got way ahead of her he could keep going and she'd catch up at some point. I've seen her roll back into camp 30 minutes later after blasting really fast stuff or fs roads. Pretty amazing how she navigates.

That's awesome!!

The navigation intelligence, combined with endurance - like markbfe501 said: "working" type dog with high endurance and smarts

Australian Heeler / Shepherd seems a good one - maybe with a little Husky mixed in would be perfect... I like the Husky mixes

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 0:55 PM, Mark-us-B said:

Short sighted? I think only on your understanding of what a fit dog is capable of. 

Also, the more we baby and "protect" are pets the weaker and more feeble they get. Look at the modern Kennel Club golden.................what a heap of inbreeding shit.

I had a farm dog, a border collie/red setter mix, lived until she was 16. For the first 12 years of her life, you could NOT for the life of you get her to sleep inside. She begged to be outdoors, even in the New Hampshire climate. We had open dog house, more like a Lean-to that we would put hay in the winter. That's it, no coats, no sweaters, no heater. She also use to run herself ragged for days on end in a yard that was 200 x 500. Before we had the fenced yard she had a chain collar, attached to a 20 foot piece of aircraft grade cable, running to a 200 foot air craft cable attached 12 foot in the air. All day, she would run around chase squirrels and "protect the yard. I would go and throw balls and freesbies and she would never tire. The only time she stepped foot in the house was for breakfast and dinner, as we had a massive water bowl outside for her all day. Occasionally in winters she would come in for a quick drink if the snow was to cold and frozen to eat. The muscles on her neck and back were TREMENDOUS. We went from a 4x4 post in dirt, to a 6x6 post in crete, to a DAMN TELEPHONE POLE because she broke the other two. Eventually when we moved and got a house with a fenced yard she no longer needed the runner. She lost some of the muscle but not her endurance.

Finally, when she was 12 and had long been grey in the face she started to lose her eyesight. We got her a dog bed and she split the difference between the house and outside. On special occasions she was allowed in the family room on the rug near the fireplace. Only in her last days did she spend consecutive days and nights inside, and I knew she was frustrated because of it. She covered 1000's of miles of hikes, swam in a 100 lakes and two oceans, and probably caught and ate more chipmunks than I can count. Domesticated my ass. She was a she-wolf through and through.

The bastardization of the modern dog, but the AKC and show dog breeders is the reason you question the sight of the previous gentlemen.

You want a trail dog and must have a puppy from a breeder? Google "border collie farm dog" or "border collie sheep dog". You'll probably come across dogs from the UK, specifically Scotland. These dogs are tough, smart, and top tier athletic. They can learn and are good with people. They don't take shit from sheep or cattle, and certainly wouldn't take shit from a black bear. They are high energy and need stimulation, but they love a good nap on the couch on a Saturday night. 

I also suggest checking out the southern kill shelters and adoption agencies, and try to get a mix with some part being border collie. I have two, a brother and sister, Border Collie/German Shepherd/Great Pyrenees. I lucked out as they are the best dogs I have ever had. Super smart, incredibly athletic, adaptable, and the quietest dogs I have ever had. The only noise is a squeek for the bathroom, an air chomp for dinner, and an alert bark when someone comes to the front door if they are a stranger. Frankie chuffs at other dogs if they get too close to the yard, and Penny growls at the cat for fun. Besides that they make no noise at all. House broken since 6 months, and fantastic on my walks/rucks/hikes. 

Don't doubt the capabilities of this 4 legged friend descended from wolves. Just for Christ sake don't get a bichon frise or some other toy breed. Useless.

Edited by NEGbrap
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, NEGbrap said:

Short sighted? I think only on your understanding of what a fit dog is capable of. 

Also, the more we baby and "protect" are pets the weaker and more feeble they get. Look at the modern Kennel Club golden.................what a heap of inbreeding shit.

I had a farm dog, a border collie/red setter mix, lived until she was 16. For the first 12 years of her life, you could NOT for the life of you get her to sleep inside. She begged to be outdoors, even in the New Hampshire climate. We had open dog house, more like a Lean-to that we would put hay in the winter. That's it, no coats, no sweaters, no heater. She also use to run herself ragged for days on end in a yard that was 200 x 500. Before we had the fenced yard she had a chain collar, attached to a 20 foot piece of aircraft grade cable, running to a 200 foot air craft cable attached 12 foot in the air. All day, she would run around chase squirrels and "protect the yard. I would go and throw balls and freesbies and she would never tire. The only time she stepped foot in the house was for breakfast and dinner, as we had a massive water bowl outside for her all day. Occasionally in winters she would come in for a quick drink if the snow was to cold and frozen to eat. The muscles on her neck and back were TREMENDOUS. We went from a 4x4 post in dirt, to a 6x6 post in crete, to a DAMN TELEPHONE POLE because she broke the other two. Eventually when we moved and got a house with a fenced yard she no longer needed the runner. She lost some of the muscle but not her endurance.

Finally, when she was 12 and had long been grey in the face she started to lose her eyesight. We got her a dog bed and she split the difference between the house and outside. On special occasions she was allowed in the family room on the rug near the fireplace. Only in her last days did she spend consecutive days and nights inside, and I knew she was frustrated because of it. She covered 1000's of miles of hikes, swam in a 100 lakes and two oceans, and probably caught and ate more chipmunks than I can count. Domesticated my ass. She was a she-wolf through and through.

The bastardization of the modern dog, but the AKC and show dog breeders is the reason you question the sight of the previous gentlemen.

You want a trail dog and must have a puppy from a breeder? Google "border collie farm dog" or "border collie sheep dog". You'll probably come across dogs from the UK, specifically Scotland. These dogs are tough, smart, and top tier athletic. They can learn and are good with people. They don't take shit from sheep or cattle, and certainly wouldn't take shit from a black bear. They are high energy and need stimulation, but they love a good nap on the couch on a Saturday night. 

I also suggest checking out the southern kill shelters and adoption agencies, and try to get a mix with some part being border collie. I have two, a brother and sister, Border Collie/German Shepherd/Great Pyrenees. I lucked out as they are the best dogs I have ever had. Super smart, incredibly athletic, adaptable, and the quietest dogs I have ever had. The only noise is a squeek for the bathroom, an air chomp for dinner, and an alert bark when someone comes to the front door if they are a stranger. Frankie chuffs at other dogs if they get too close to the yard, and Penny growls at the cat for fun. Besides that they make no noise at all. House broken since 6 months, and fantastic on my walks/rucks/hikes. 

Don't doubt the capabilities of this 4 legged friend descended from wolves. Just for Christ sake don't get a bichon frise or some other toy breed. Useless.

Thanks a lot for all that great info !!

I agree with your points on not babying the dogs and allowing them to live an adventurous life - but can also appreciate the opposite points from Nobade about almost killing his Doberman.... and the "Short Sighted" guy does have some good points too, but I feel they are too extreme - and I don't want to abandon this mission

Plus anytime I post on here, it could be perceived as short sighted - because I truly do not know enough on the subject to make a good decision - this is purely seeking info from folks with experience 

Whatever dog I choose will be extensively trained from an early age - so running the trails would be more of a daily fun hobby for the dog, and less of a random event where the dog over-exceeds its cardio and drops dead

Some really good breed suggestions from everyone - thanks a lot!!

I would like to pursue something that is Border Collie mixed with Husky/German Shepherd

For some reason my girlfriend and I cannot come to love the look of Australian Heelers. I need to wait about a month, and at that time - whatever puppies are available in my area will be the deciding factor

Keep the good tips and stories coming!

• Like 1

I have a yellow lab/great Dane and a Vizsla that run miles a week with me on the trails! They are so good at it that in tight single track they easily keep up or pass me! The trick is to start them on a lonely dirt road with your truck and let them out but call them so they follow. They will get the hang of it and then just translate it to the bike once they have that down! My dogs freak out when they know they are going running and love it so much! Good luck!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CujoMX said:

I have a yellow lab/great Dane and a Vizsla that run miles a week with me on the trails! They are so good at it that in tight single track they easily keep up or pass me! The trick is to start them on a lonely dirt road with your truck and let them out but call them so they follow. They will get the hang of it and then just translate it to the bike once they have that down! My dogs freak out when they know they are going running and love it so much! Good luck!

Sounds like a really fun mix of breeds - that is awesome, thanks

Vizsla is another cool looking breed I had not heard of prior to this post

Which of those two would you say does better on the trails

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Rhodesian Ridgeback loves a good mountain bike ride through the trails. They'll run forever and look at you like, "that's it?" at the end of it.

Trail riding on a motorcycle though? Roost, speed and quickly varying terrain are all elements of serious risk to the dog. Keep in mind they typically won't slow down as they tire or get sore, they'll keep up until they....can't - Hard to judge when you're in the zone on your dirt bike.

1 hour ago, BigDutch81 said:

My Rhodesian Ridgeback loves a good mountain bike ride through the trails. They'll run forever and look at you like, "that's it?" at the end of it.

Trail riding on a motorcycle though? Roost, speed and quickly varying terrain are all elements of serious risk to the dog. Keep in mind they typically won't slow down as they tire or get sore, they'll keep up until they....can't - Hard to judge when you're in the zone on your dirt bike.

Thanks BigDutch... Rhodesian Ridgebacks look so cool!!

A lot of good points to consider if I am trying to ride motorcycle alongside the dog... with people saying some dogs can run forever, and with all the cool nature spots I regularly visit - I want to experiment with introducing the dog to my riding habits, somehow safely.

I just picked up the Pup about 36 hours ago - his name is Roczen - as soon as he his Parvo-safe I will begin taking him out to the mountains/riding spots

roczen444.JPG

• Like 4

just catching up on this thread and glad to see you got your pup! As i was reading it I was thinking a Border Collie would be perfect so I think you made a wise choice. I grew up with one and she was the best dog.

Hopefully you have a nice sized yard or other area he can run around in when not out on the trails?  My mother in law has one and before she moved to a large horse ranch property her border collie was cooped up in a small 2 bedroom house. Great dog but she was very neurotic and hyper. Once she moved to the ranch Daisy was in heaven and her demeanor and behavior changed dramatically for the better. She spends all day chasing squirrels and ground rodents around the ranch. She comes in every night pooped out and curls up under their feet by 9pm sound asleep. They are a true "working dog" and need an outlet for their energy.

Also...SMART - they are extremely intelligent. Teach and train Roczen from the beginning how you want him to behave (like off leash etc.)  A properly raised BC is a wonderful dog!  

• Like 1