Hey guys, 

I've used this forum as a "guest" for awhile now and I thought I'd share my build now that it's all coming together.  The primary purpose of this project is to help me train for roadracing my 2009 R1 at lower speeds as well as giving me a cheap alternative to racing the big bike. 

Here's what she looked like when I picked it up from a local shop.  Paid $800 cash for the bike as you see it with 17' rims, FMF pipe, EBC 250mm front rotor and clip on handle bars.

Pteuo0n.jpg

Fits PERFECT!

oFxbwTo.jpg

Shake down run at the Herrin Compound last summer:

gzMrkDx.jpg

As she sits today:

9MbDX7d.jpg

Nice.  Those 85's are fun. What size is the "big bike"?

My other asphalt machine is a 2009 Yamaha R1 (998cc if you’re not familiar with them).

11 minutes ago, neonmarine said:

Hey guys, 

I've used this forum as a "guest" for awhile now and I thought I'd share my build now that it's all coming together.  The primary purpose of this project is to help me train for roadracing my 2009 R1 at lower speeds as well as giving me a cheap alternative to racing the big bike. 

Here's what she looked like when I picked it up from a local shop.  Paid $800 cash for the bike as you see it with 17' rims, FMF pipe, EBC 250mm front rotor and clip on handle bars.

Pteuo0n.jpg

Fits PERFECT!

oFxbwTo.jpg

Shake down run at the Herrin Compound last summer:

gzMrkDx.jpg

As she sits today:

9MbDX7d.jpg

Are those 14" wheels on it now? I need a set for my 2012 85 as I want to go a different way now that it's done and I invested too much. so why not invest more? 

Are those 14" wheels on it now? I need a set for my 2012 85 as I want to go a different way now that it's done and I invested too much. so why not invest more? 

D52C4E00-6A56-4733-B2D9-9C6233833682.jpeg.ef78096c248d654d5314c834eb68f6b9.jpegA6FE5F24-5E06-408A-9A13-02231732CA76.jpeg.93d9986f638a92eeb3d0317e74eebbe9.jpeg

Perfect logic lol!

Those are 12” rims to use the best tires available for this type of setup.

www.gatorrimz.com

They also have the appropriate sprocket sets needed for the small rims.

32 minutes ago, ASP1227 said:

Perfect logic lol!

Well, DUH!! :lol:

28 minutes ago, neonmarine said:

www.gatorrimz.com

Sweet, can you give me all the parts needed to convert the wheel set. 

Rims, hubs, rotors, caliper (hanger) etc. etc. ? I have an itch to street legal this thing in AZ to rip up the hood.

9 hours ago, neonmarine said:

www.gatorrimz.com

As seen above ^

Would it not be hilarious if you would end up faster on the YZ than the R1? LOL

nice build

Yeah that would be interesting to see!  I just hope being good on one bike makes me better on the other. The principals of going fast around a track don’t change much due to machinery.  

The biggest difference between these bikes and the riding style is that you can become lazy on a liter bike because you have the power, but on a little bike you need to keep your speed as high as possible for the entire lap to be fast.  So corner speed and technique are critically important for being competitive.

Oh and one last thing: brakes only slow you down.

368.00 for rims and spokes on that web page.

The tires they sale are way to $pendy. Found 12" DOT tires for around 40 each from J&P.

Found front OEM hub for 30 on ebay.

Need to find rear OEM hub, still sourcing.

Then I can get the outlaw wave rotors, and a rear sprocket for quick swaps. :smirk:

550.00-600.00 max.

Looking into lighting coil or run lights off batt on the cheap. This is going to be street leagal hooligan fun. (if I do it).