Sign in to follow this  

Just bought 04 KDX200

Well I just bought into the club. I got an 04 KDX200 for 1700. What should I do first? I test drove it before I bought it and it seemed to run strong. I don't know when the top end was last replaced but I was planning on doing an oil change and changing the coolant in the radiator.

I was also wondering what I should do to get it ready for the mountains. (oil/gas ratio, type of oil, carburetor jets, coolant, ect) I live at about 6500 ft of elevation and ride up into around 8000-10,000.

20180321_145537.jpg

Edited by CalEngland
  • Like 1

Welcome to the ThumperTalk forums.

Check the air filter for proper cleaning and oiling.

Changing the transmission oil sounds good.

In order to change the jetting, you may want to see which jets are in there now, then make sure they are correct for your current altitude, then adjust from there. If it is not perfect now, then there is no need for anyone to mention which changes to be made.

I would order a top end immediately.  My old KDX got Wiseco pistons and they took tremendous abuse.

You can inspect the bottom end while you're in there.

For woods and trail type riding I would suggest Maxima Super M premix oil.  It's an Ester / Synthetic blend that has the right properties for low to mid rpm / moderate engine temps.  Use their full synthetic only if you are racing high rpm and high engine temps.  It burns pretty clean and doesn't foul plugs.  I've used it on KX 100 / KTM 105 / KDX 200 / KTM 200 / KTM 250 / KTM 300 ... all at 50 to 1 ratio.  All bikes had Gnarly or similar pipes

Loctite kickstand bolts and kickstarter nut/bolt ( i forget which it has).  I ran maxima k2 syn premix at 50:1 for singletrack.  I ran mtl 80-90 wt for trans oil, never had to do clutch plates running that.   I ran the 2 stage boyesen reeds, new set under $50.  Check out RB designs website for carb and head mods, this is best $ spent on a kdx.  I see it as less power mod and more to make it run flawlessly.  Amazing results.  Get a spare air filter.  Agree on wiseco top end kit.  Buy some taillight bulbs, mine at them up fast.  Grease linkage for rear suspension.  Put a new clutch cable on, always helps on a kdx every yr or so.  Go oem on that.

enjoy!  Great bike

Oh, and you didnt say how much you weigh, but if fork springs are still stock you will want to go up on spring rate.  .40 kg work well up to 180 lbs or close.  I ran stock rear spring but if you are over 180 you prob wanna stiffen that too.  Most shops will put gold valves in fork.  I went with a heavier fork fluid.  10-15 wt is probably better for you.  Not a great bike in whoops but for tight gnarly stuff the geometry is $$.  And comfy to ride all weekend.  They dont make seats like that anymore.  Its like riding on your favorite recliner.

2004, gnarly woods pipe, turbine core silencer, cut the square out of the air box around the snorkel, pro taper se cr high bars, srt hand guards, Michelin s12xc with a 120 rear= equal to 110 which is one size wider, 50 tooth rear sprocket, moose skid plate, motul 710 @ 32:1, 155 main jet but still a bit rich at 6000 ft, don't remember my pilot but I think its 1 smaller than stock and its still a bit rich, also I have boyesen super stock carbon reeds.

20160409_181621.jpg

• Like 1

What jets do you have in it now? Im at the same elevation with a 40 pilot and 150 main with a JD red needle on second clip. Still need to do a real plug chop on it.

Previous owner had 42/155 with stock needle at the highest clip. If ran a little rich when I bought it.