Hey guys I just bought a bike last night. So the seller said the bike will turn on but then die. We didn't try it because it was really late at night and it was raining (seat was wet). But he said if you bump start it, it will turn on and ride. So what do you think the problem is? I just want to make sure it runs... I probably won't be able to bump start it till Saturday (rain)... It's a four stroke, and I know absolutely nothing about them. Thanks.

Oh boy, you bought a bike without starting it?

What bike and how much did you pay?

If it’s carbed, probably needs a thorough cleaning. If it’s fuel injected, cleaned injectors.

34 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

If it’s carbed, probably needs a thorough cleaning. If it’s fuel injected, cleaned injectors.

2001 Yamaha YZ250F with Pink Slip and Current Green Sticker Registration, $600 flat. Nothing better, couldn't pass it up. I paid $1300 for my 2001 YZ125, and that's still a deal. Spent $500 into cosmetic upgrades. But the new YZ250F is worth the buck.

37 minutes ago, MaybeMe said:

How can I check if it's carbed or fuel injected? I'm new to dirt bikes, especially four strokes.

6 minutes ago, faizakhtar125 said:

How can I check if it's carbed or fuel injected? I'm new to dirt bikes, especially four strokes.

Step one is to download a manual, right now. A 2001 will not be fuel injected. If it really is a four stroke, could be valves, which you should be able to set. But most likely is the carb. Swap out the pilot jet, install a new, clean air filter, change the oil and oil filter (if there is one) and see if it will start. Hard starting is a classic sign of valves needing shimming, as is dirty carb pilot. Do NOT clean the pilot jet, just change it out. The hole is not just a straight cut out and they are really hard to get clean without messing them up.

1 hour ago, LSHD said:

Step one is to download a manual, right now. A 2001 will not be fuel injected. If it really is a four stroke, could be valves, which you should be able to set. But most likely is the carb. Swap out the pilot jet, install a new, clean air filter, change the oil and oil filter (if there is one) and see if it will start. Hard starting is a classic sign of valves needing shimming, as is dirty carb pilot. Do NOT clean the pilot jet, just change it out. The hole is not just a straight cut out and they are really hard to get clean without messing them up.

Yea I gathered a list of things to do before giving it to the mechanic: [fresh gas, new spark plug, clean the air filter (get a new one), change oil and oil filter, check float level, clean carb, clean or replace the petcock, try kicking it without air filter, check valve clearances, clean the pilot jet (or buy a new one), check valves, check to see if gas goes in the float bowl (cr8e, cr9e), adjust the fuel screw.] If none of that works, I am taking it to the mechanic. It would probably be an engine issue. But yea I am going to clean the air filter, check the spark plug, go to Pep Boys and get another can of Carb Cleaner, and clean it up. I am trying to turn it on asap, so for now I'll just clean the pilot jet (unless it's really bad). Then whenever it stops raining (Probably Saturday) I will try bump starting from a slope. 

This is the two stroke section. Please post in the make/model appropriate area. You have been asked many times in the past to do so.

Also, do not 'hashtag' the heck out of a thread, it eliminates the value. Only use 'hastags' that directly apply.