Riding Moto senior, returning after long time....saftey question

46 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

But how much will it raise your body temperature in the summer?  That, to me, has always been the reason that I've never even considered one of those.

Whatever you have on put the Cycle Gear "heat out" undergarment on, they look like under armor but reduce you temp but the side effect is you stinky and the fit sucks. I will not recommend much of the off brand gear they sell but this works on the cheap. 

• Like 1

I quit riding in my late 40s after 30 years of trail riding and competition, and several injuries along the way. When I first started riding it was with logger cork boots and an open face Bell helmet. :banghead:

Nearly 15 years later (at 64) I returned to riding.  Woods riding has a lot of perils and you will have encounters with bad things so you need protection. I have:
Fox V2 helmet, must be a tight fit for protection. A friend had a not tight fitting helmet and failed getting over a log, on the way down the face guard hit the bike and moved up pushing his glasses against his face, which resulted in a bad bleeding wound. 
Wrap around safety glasses for protection and wide field of view. I use bifocal safety glasses, about $5 at Walmart Optical. For dusty conditions I use googles.
Plastic boots (SIDI Xfire w/ enduro soles)
Chest protectors w/ suspended shoulder pads and bicep protectors.
elbow/forearm guards
Knee/shin guards
MX pants w/ hip pads.
Bark Busters on bikes.
Gloves w/ finger/knuckle pads
Jerseys to suit weather
Waterproof shell that fits over chest protectors (for cold temp, wind, and rain)

The plastic boots because they provide more foot protection than leather, Enduro sole for traction, hinged ankles for walking. Anything less is dangerous for trail riding.

• Like 1

Lots of mention of knee pads. What about MX pants? Those suffice? The knee padding is minimal, however. So wear them over? My sense is knee pads over MX pants not super together. 

Lots of mention of knee pads. What about MX pants? Those suffice? The knee padding is minimal, however. So wear them over? My sense is knee pads over MX pants not super together. 

Yeah, no. Knee pads under mx pants. I don't even notice mine. Screenshot_20180324-134457.jpg
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 7:29 AM, rm6keith said:

I am 53 now and came back from a 16 year break from riding. I do pretty much 100% single track on my dirt bike (do track days on my gsxr as well). I agree with TomTopDog regarding boots as one of the most important pieces of gear. Not sure I would even attempt a ride in work boots at this point. If your budget is tight, take a look for good used boots. This is how I started off, found a pair for $10 and this got me back into it and when I fell for the first time I was really glad I had good boots. 

Keith

17 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I quit riding in my late 40s after 30 years of trail riding and competition, and several injuries along the way. When I first started riding it was with logger cork boots and an open face Bell helmet. :banghead:

Nearly 15 years later (at 64) I returned to riding.  Woods riding has a lot of perils and you will have encounters with bad things so you need protection. I have:
Fox V2 helmet, must be a tight fit for protection. A friend had a not tight fitting helmet and failed getting over a log, on the way down the face guard hit the bike and moved up pushing his glasses against his face, which resulted in a bad bleeding wound. 
Wrap around safety glasses for protection and wide field of view. I use bifocal safety glasses, about $5 at Walmart Optical. For dusty conditions I use googles.
Plastic boots (SIDI Xfire w/ enduro soles)
Chest protectors w/ suspended shoulder pads and bicep protectors.
elbow/forearm guards
Knee/shin guards
MX pants w/ hip pads.
Bark Busters on bikes.
Gloves w/ finger/knuckle pads
Jerseys to suit weather
Waterproof shell that fits over chest protectors (for cold temp, wind, and rain)

The plastic boots because they provide more foot protection than leather, Enduro sole for traction, hinged ankles for walking. Anything less is dangerous for trail riding.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

Screenshot_20180324-134457.jpg

Call me naive, but how do knee guards that go down your chin that far work with your boots? Mine (Gaerne SG12, like most boots I believe) come up pretty close to my knee cap. Just a few inches between in fact, per the picture. Do you wear them inside your boot? Over your boot?

70F2ECFF-8041-4060-A60B-E38E67ECE257.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Stuff your pads into you boots under you MX pants, the long shin guard keeps them in place. Your denim pants hit the ground and tear then your skin turns to hamburger as you slide to a stop. MX pants are built to not rip on impact and pads fit under them, they hit the ground and slide your banged up but not opened up. You know how they clean a wound right, white scrub brush and rud the crap out even the bad guys cringe.

• Like 1

Call me naive, but how do knee guards that go down your chin that far work with your boots? Mine (Gaerne SG12, like most boots I believe) come up pretty close to my knee cap. Just a few inches between in fact, per the picture. Do you wear them inside your boot? Over your boot?

70F2ECFF-8041-4060-A60B-E38E67ECE257.thumb.jpeg.9e8640c1462796933ba27c4ba9ab6e97.jpeg

I also wear sg12s, yeah i guess maybe the ends of the guards are in the top of my boot, i dunno, they stay in place and i don't even notice i have them on. They don't rub my shin or affect boot fit or anything.

Now ima have to go put em on to see lol.

37 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

O.K. You're naive, Plenty of room in the majority of boots. even my old Highpoints.

My pads have soft lining, I install them against my skin, then my MX pants and jersey on top. My boots have enough room for the shin pads and although the shin protection is redundant with the pads inside the boot the shin pad above the boot protects the area between the boot top and the knee.  And the boots keep the pads in place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Leave the boots at home, and just wear flip flops. 

• Like 1

Yeah, no. Knee pads under mx pants. I don't even notice mine. Screenshot_20180324-134457.jpg.df756fd2bff5b3fbab9a0202467fe367.jpg

I've had these for 3 years. They've taken many hits, this saving my knees.
Buy 'em!
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KTM_rider_EK_17 said:

Not so fast there bud, have you ever heard of the Cycra Rebounds?

Its kind of an ongoing joke with the full barkbusters.  Are those the flag style.  I'm all for that, I have some and my 3 riding partners all do.

That's  funny Gator,. .... Do some "Speedway"  with 'em.    Ha

Screenshot_20180321-224442.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

😀👍

0360730A-6F32-4784-AAE6-502319C6A42D.jpeg

Harley style !

I started back riding at your age on a CR250

Knee guards or knee surgeries, trees don't give

• Like 1