Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×

Riding Moto senior, returning after long time....saftey question

Posted (edited)

I'm 55,  and haven't ridden Moto bike for  30 yrs,.   But now I'm back, I'm still pretty decent rider.   But right now riding my yz250,  after buying helmet, what would you suggest Next,.... of saftey gear.   Money is limited, but I like to go fast,...I just don't wanna dump it, and be hurt just cause I wasn't wearing something.  And haven't checked prices of gear these days.

Screenshot_20180309-203035.png

Edited by Rixter
  • Like 1

Ok,  I will.  I'm wearing my ,   pull on leather work boots right now,  but I'd like Moto boots.

• Like 1

You can get a set of entry level gear for roughly 800 bucks Canadian here. Most important are a good modern helmet along with good well fitting boots. Knee pads and a chest protector are always helpful to. Get into a habit of these things early on so later in your riding it feels normal to Ride with all your gear. 

• Like 4

You were seriously gonna enter a race wearing work boots? Elbow guards are also good to wear. Nice YZ... good luck!

• Like 2

No, I don't race, ... Just woods rider, casual,.    Thanx everybody for your replies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rixter said:

No, I don't race, ... Just woods rider, casual,.    Thanx everybody for your replies.

By the looks of your bike, I thought you were going racing. Barkbusters are a good investment for the casual woods rider

• Like 2

I am 53 now and came back from a 16 year break from riding. I do pretty much 100% single track on my dirt bike (do track days on my gsxr as well). I agree with TomTopDog regarding boots as one of the most important pieces of gear. Not sure I would even attempt a ride in work boots at this point. If your budget is tight, take a look for good used boots. This is how I started off, found a pair for $10 and this got me back into it and when I fell for the first time I was really glad I had good boots. 

Keith

• Like 2

A good helmet, goggles, gloves, good riding boots, knee/shin pads, upper body protection as a minimum. Everybody wants to go fast and nobody wants to dump it. But we all dump it sooner rather than later. If you can't afford good gear, make sure you can afford all medical bills and lost work time. Even with good gear, no guarantees you won't get injured.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rixter said:

Ok,  I will.  I'm wearing my ,   pull on leather work boots right now,  but I'd like Moto boots.

Sounds like you answered your own question!   Boots for sure.  I would say helmet and googles, then boots at a minimum.  If you like going fast on the trail you need them.   My insurance has a 400 ER co-pay (not to mention time off from work, but I do have plenty of sick leave).  A single trip for an ankle and foot injury will cost as much pretty nice set of boots in just co-pay.  Add in the cost of meds and surgery and I'm on the hook for 1500 in deductible as well as 20% of fees.   Gear is as cheap as insurance gets.  Get the best you can afford.  You can wear out some low end stuff and they can be had pretty inexpensive.    Middle of road is much better.   Goggles are cheap as well.  Pick a pair of those up.   I can't stand to ride without gloves.  Don't know why, but I feel naked without them.   A bunch of my gear is in need of replacement.  I pretty much wear it out before I replace it.   I just kind of grab a piece here and there.  Good to swap out stuff every few years as technology involved also changes and improves.  Especially in regards to helmets (they do have a shelf live).  The effects from brain injury are brutal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dmouse said:

By the looks of your bike, I thought you were going racing. Barkbusters are a good investment for the casual woods rider

Uhoh, you pulled the trigger. :lol:

Barkbusters are great if you like broken wrists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Uhoh, you pulled the trigger

It was early, don't know what I was thinking!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

bark busters are great in the woods. 20180212_183508.jpg just need sturdier bones. emoji38.png

Broken arm.  Smashed fingers.  What a choice!

• Like 1

Good boots.  Formas are reasonably priced, good value.

Knee protection.  Don't have to go full-retard braces, but a good pair of knee pads ($60-100ish) really helps. 

Upper body protection.  Up to you, I like my Tekvests.  Shoulder pads are nice for deflecting tree branches. 

Armored shorts are kind of nice too. 

Depends on how hard core vs cheap you want to me. You need a decent helmet, say a Fox V1, gloves and boots. You can wear work boots for a while, but you will want real enduro boots soon. I used $150 boots for the first two years (I came back after 40 year off and I'm 67 now) then I got some $400 boots because they really do provide a lot more protection. I wear inexpensive knee pads and elbow pads and a "jersey" with shoulder and front/back protection. To me, a big protection is a CamelBak with water. It also protects the spine when you flop over backwards.

I found that Klim riding pants were worth having, a lot longer lasting than blue jeans.

Most important thing is get out and ride and have fun. Depending on how much fun you are having and how much riding you do, you can decide on what gear you need.

I do not agree that a neck ring is required for normal techncial woods riding. But if you want it, go for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The best boots you can get id spend at least $350 or more 

Edited by olddude13

I agree with almost all replies. Don’t cheap out the helmet , buy a good one that fits right. Gloves, even good ones aren’t that expensive. Boots are just as important as the helmet in the woods, the more you spend there the more comfort and protection you will find though there are plenty that won’t leave you broke. After that fill in the gaps, knees , elbows then shoulders and hips. Think of it this way, at our age it’s takes twice as long to heal and we break easier. If you are laying up injured you can’t ride.....what more motivation do you need??

• Like 1

Boots and helmet are number 1, money spent on boots it’s worth it even the high end boots at hefty price tags equal out to $100/year or less usd. Next I’d go glove and knee guards, then chest/back protector

• Like 3