CRF250X - what to look for when buying

I've been running an XR400 and XR280 for a bit now but the kick start can cause issues, especially when my wife borrows it, so i was thinking of a CRF250X, mainly for me but she'll bag it occasionally.

What are the key model updates and what years ?

What are the known issues to look out for ?

Is the electric start OK, or is it like some KTMs for hot start only and then mostly taken off.

How will it compare to the XRs - more maintenance I hear but worth it ?

Are CRFs carb or injection ?

thanks

33 minutes ago, FFMan said:

I've been running an XR400 and XR280 for a bit now but the kick start can cause issues, especially when my wife borrows it, so i was thinking of a CRF250X, mainly for me but she'll bag it occasionally.

What are the key model updates and what years ?

What are the known issues to look out for ?

Is the electric start OK, or is it like some KTMs for hot start only and then mostly taken off.

How will it compare to the XRs - more maintenance I hear but worth it ?

Are CRFs carb or injection ?

thanks

04-06 were prewired for a radiator fan, but I wired mine directly to the battery and if it is on it only runs 10-15 seconds after stopping the engine.

07 supposedly had softer valve seats for better valve life and a change in the carb accel pump.  

electric start seems bullet proof cold or hot. engine has an auto compression release which makes starting quick and easy whether estart, kicker, or bump.  Unlike a XR it is easy bump restart from rear brake lockup.   ?

All are FCR carb, Carb is difficult to remove and care is needed to insure air boot and manifold are installed correctly.

I've owned a bunch of XRs since the early 80s and my X doesn't seem to be higher maintenance, but since the engine is based on a MX engine I suspect top end life won't be as long as a XR. I don't race and seldom get to the rev limiter and my 05 needed a new top end two years ago. Top end rebuilds are easy and cheap because of the Nikasil plated bore, and Honda parts have reasonable prices.

The 250X has more HP than a XR400 and the engine can be tuned to have low speed throttle response like a XR.

I consider the X a worthy next gen XR and IMO is a far superior bike compared to my XR250R. The 250X is also lighter than a XR250R

• Like 1

I look for maintenance records. The one I bought the owner logged everything he did from day 1.  He even kept track of his rides. I paid a little more but it was worth it. I do have a 06 250 CRFX besides the XR650R 

Edited by OTTOMATIK
added ride