Does anyone ride their bike in the snow without studded tires?

It was snowing pretty hard the other day where I live, and it made me miss my quad. I decided that I was gonna go rip the bike around instead since that's all I have. It was pretty fun, but I was definitely nervous that I was gonna wipe out at any second. I had my legs out the whole time amd never wiped out. This was my first ever dirt bike snow ride...I liked it!

Anyone else ride in the snow like this...without the proper tires?

1 hour ago, Irishman301 said:

It was snowing pretty hard the other day where I live, and it made me miss my quad. I decided that I was gonna go rip the bike around instead since that's all I have. It was pretty fun, but I was definitely nervous that I was gonna wipe out at any second. I had my legs out the whole time amd never wiped out. This was my first ever dirt bike snow ride...I liked it!

Mixed bag here. I have ridden quite a few times in the snow and never had studded tires. All times it was difficult but one of these was really kind of epic. There was probably 4-6" on the ground in eastern TN and it filled in all of the rocks, roots, ruts, etc and the snow had a consistency that allowed you to keep enough momentum to climb most everything as long as you were very linear/smooth with throttle. It was kind of like skiing in hero snow where mistakes were non existent. You really just had to keep your throttle controlled and the bike would just keep finding enough traction. There was no ripping for sure but you could just motor over everything, wheels stayed in the ruts with no bouncing. Great day.

I've ridden in snow a ton and it varies so much depending on conditions.  Sometime it's amazing, other times it's stupid.

Even with studded tires it's not always great (slushy melting ice has no grip with studs).

The trouble is ICE!  When ice gets covered up by a thin layer of snow, you can't see it's there and down you go.

Last November I was just putting along with the late afternoon sun in my eyes and hit this puddle that had ice under the water.  I was on my ass before I knew what the hell was going on. Messed up my MCL big time and had to spend 5 weeks in bed.

Edited by Colorado^
  • Like 2

Used to years ago, it's not the best idea. Now use 'Cold Kutter' studs with dedicated set of tires. It's a f***ing riot ! [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Colorado^ said:

I've ridden in snow a ton and it varies so much depending on conditions.  Sometime it's amazing, other times it's stupid.

Even with studded tires it's not always great (slushy melting ice has no grip with studs).

The trouble is ICE!  When ice gets covered up by a thin layer of snow, you can't see it's there and down you go.

Last November I was just putting along with the late afternoon sun in my eyes and hit this puddle that had ice under the water.  I was on my ass before I knew what the hell was going on. Messed up my MCL big time and had to spend 5 weeks in bed.

+1 on snow condition, snow thickness & ice.  This was 1st & 2nd gear most of the day.

B39E84DD-E8CA-4EFC-AEEA-942EC5C1EC8D.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve ridden my YZ250 with normal knobbies in snow. Only enjoyable time is when there isn’t ice underneath and it’s fluffy powder or a little thicker. If the snow sticks, the bike gets stuck and it’s hard to turn. 

In the powder, you pretty much run WOT and steer by leaning. Turning the wheel too much kinda just results in falling.

I've ridden in the snow without studs a bunch of times.

I run studs to deal with the ice under the snow, they don't help in plain snow.

If you know there's no ice hidden under the snow you don't need studs.

If it froze just put studs on way safer and fun. Actually I really enjoy studded riding now. If snow get to deep get out the snowbike that is also a crazy amount of fun. If your riding on ice with no studs it only matter of time till you bite it hard.

IMG_2125.JPG

• Like 2