Should I buy a Beta?

1 hour ago, m0tyrider said:

I have seen this and have the same mentality.

Having a kicker would be nice for peace of mind, but the add on isn't that cheap from memory ($350 AUD or so?), though it wouldn't be on my immediate to do list of mods if i end up purchasing one.

All it takes is your battery dying in the trails to change your mind. Ive been around my Betas and orher guys bikes that have had their batteries die. .. multiple times...It’s better to have a kickers and no estart than only an estart. .. but to each their own.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, m0tyrider said:

True - does the bike still function correctly with a bad battery though? Oil Injection, Ignition timing and lighting all run off the battery?

A couple of months ago I went riding with a friend with a 250 rr and his battery cracked and smoke acid smoke came pluming out from under his seat. We took off the seat. Took out the battery and threw it away and continueed our ride for a few more hours. He has a kicker so we just kept riding and he went and bought another battery later.  That’s why an estart and a kicker is the better way to go.

This guys Beta here is the bike Im talking about. He had a wp battery?? I don’t know it cracked for some reason. Don’t know what he got for a battery now. 

We are just on a mellow cruise this day.

• Like 3

After doing more and more reading - it seems that once you get into 3rd gear on some rougher style terrain the Xtrainer suspension is just too soft - unless your under 150lbs (Which I am not)

So leaning more and more towards the 300 RR, but is it possible to make the 300 RR engine similar to the Xtrainers? I have never ridden a 2 stroke with a adjustable power valve before so I am not sure how much it can change the characteristics of the bike.

1 minute ago, m0tyrider said:

After doing more and more reading - it seems that once you get into 3rd gear on some rougher style terrain the Xtrainer suspension is just too soft - unless your under 150lbs (Which I am not)

So leaning more and more towards the 300 RR, but is it possible to make the 300 RR engine similar to the Xtrainers? I have never ridden a 2 stroke with a adjustable power valve before so I am not sure how much it can change the characteristics of the bike.

Xtrainer is awesome and it’s also just not as versatile as an rr. Still there are stiffer springs available and other mods to set them up to handle bigger guys.  That being said from what I can tell an rr is a better choice for you. Actually Id like an xtrainer too because it’s perfect for lots of Hawaii terrain but overall my 300 rr is better for a variety of riding and my 4 stroke Betas aswell. For me personally my 300rr is the best overall . Street legal Dirtbike would go to 4 stroke to me. You could look up the 4 stroke Betas too. Those have a year warranty!! I got that with my 525rs. With my 300 rr I got a 6 month warranty. That’s if you buy new.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, m0tyrider said:

You could put a Xtrainer pipe on the 300RR but it's not necessary. If you have throttle and clutch control the 300RR is either a X-trainer or YZ250 depending on what you want.

3 hours ago, m0tyrider said:

I have seen this and have the same mentality.

Having a kicker would be nice for peace of mind, but the add on isn't that cheap from memory ($350 AUD or so?), though it wouldn't be on my immediate to do list of mods if i end up purchasing one.

Bought my 300RR in November after riding NW_drZ's 250RR in July 2017. I have NEVER kicked the bike because the Beta starter KICKS &%$#@!ING ASS and always starts. I don't even put it on a tender in the garage. Sits for 3 weeks sometimes in 25F weather and just fires off EASY every time. Came off of a CRF450X which was PLAGUED with electrical problems, weak ass starter, cooked wiring harness from a trail tech high output stator (i hate trail tech BTW :foul::rant: ), massive compression big bore, im-damn-possible to kick let alone wait on the weak ass battery and starter. The Beta is is the opposite. Always starts with the button. Always. ? 

If you're looking for new the 2018 250RR is $7,499. It's a sweet bike with almost the same engine as the 300RR but will only grunt down to say 100 RPM whereas the 300RR goes to 25 RPM lol. There's so much flywheel on both bikes that NW_drZ and I joke about trying to kill the motor at trail breaks. You hafta push and HOLD the kill switch for like 20 seconds before they finally shut off. :crazy:

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, m0tyrider said:

The two strokes now have such nice power curve, it’s not a big deal!! It’s not like a 90’s two stroke mx. The valve switch on the beta changes the charactics on the engine and power with about 4-5%. On the Sherco it’s about 20%, beast and calm ‘n easy! 

Now, the kicker thing! I know from multiple threads that Hawaiianrider has a thing for a kicker. But seriously, the chance that your battery die or you run out of juice on it is next to non! You can likely blow a piston, bearing, wreck your rim and a hundred other things that makes you stuck so I wouldn’t worry about that for a second. But on that end note, Sherco is still a better bike all day long ?

• Like 1

The pv adjustment on the 300rr makes a huge difference. You can basically make the pv not open or turn it out to make the bike rip. Best part is it just takes a couple of seconds to do and you can change it on the trails, just need a 5mm hex.

• Like 3

Now I am doubting myself on if the RR is the right bike for me..the tamer engine of the Xtrainer coupled with the lighter weight and lower seat height sounds so good !! But the limiting suspension does not...and if it's no good ok those 100km rides..then :(

Got 3 riders I ride with who has the X and they use it JUST for Extreme Enduror! It’s a bike made for the super technical stuff and that’s basically it. It’s also a good beginner bike. If you want to choose between the two, go for the Beta 300 factory!! If you have ruled out the better bike, eg Sherco ???

Edited by NORhardenduro

Now I am doubting myself on if the RR is the right bike for me..the tamer engine of the Xtrainer coupled with the lighter weight and lower seat height sounds so good !! But the limiting suspension does not...and if it's no good ok those 100km rides..then :(

Skip the Xtrainer and go with either the 300rr or 250rr.  They are just more versatile bikes and will cover you better for a mixed style of riding.  Here is how it went down for me.  I started riding dirt bikes just after turning 30 (35 now).  My first bike was CRF230, which I quickly sold because of how small it was for my 6'2 frame.  Jumped onto a DRZ400 which at the time I thought had a ton of power.  After my first real taste of single track, that bike was sold the following weekend.  Picked up the 12' WR250F and spent about a year (150 hours) on that bike.  Really liked it as it instilled confidence and was an easy bike to ride.  Had zero issues with her.  Following the WR I picked up a 15' YZ250FX.  First thing I noticed with her was how damn tall she was.  Even at 6'2 I never liked the height of that bike.  Felt very top heavy and despite being the same weight (or maybe slightly lighter) than my WR, it felt heavier and lethargic through the tight stuff to me.  Now when things got to flowing, the FX was on the top of its game.  You could rally that bike hard and it would take it.  Power was very good for a 250F.  Zero problems mechanically with that bike as well.  

So now we fast forward to the Beta 250RR.  My close friend and riding buddy had the 300rr the whole time I went through my bike transitions.  I got a few tastes of his bike during this time.  The eye watering power, and hit of the 2 stroke (which was new to me) was such a change from the small bore thumpers.  Being the noob I was, I thought maybe it was TOO much for me and that maybe I was just a "4-stroke" guy.  Then one day I said f it, and went to look at the new Husky's.  Had a 17' TE250 off the showroom floor and was on the verge of buying it.  The final price tag though I just couldn't stomach.  So I walked out and gave my local Beta dealer a call.  He was able to hook me up at a much lower price with a bunch of goodies thrown in.  So I made my way down and picked up the 250RR.  Honestly, the main reason why I went with the 250 at the time was just to be different.  Since everyone had 300's, I figured id give the 250 a shot.  Total gamble, but I was willing to give it a shot.  Yes, at first there was some growing pains going from the 4 stroke to 2 stroke.  Its a whole different animal that requires more respect.  A much rawer feeling bike.  Sure it vibrates a little, but since day one that hasn't bothered me at all.  I honestly don't even notice it now.  I will mention though that the 250 does vibrate less than the 300.  The 300 isn't bad by any means though.  After about 6 rides, of me swearing, falling, almost killing myself with the 2 stroke power band, it just clicked.  From that day on I saw the 2-stroke light.  It all now made sense what everyone said about them in the woods.  Not only are they super easy to rip through the nasty stuff with, they are sooooo much fun.  I have never had this much fun on a bike in my 5 years of riding.  It allows me to play much more on the trails with confidence.  For a dedicated woods bike, I can't see myself going back to a thumper.  

When making the transition just take it slow.  It does take some adjustment coming from a low powered 250F to a 250/300 stroke.  They have a lot more power.  But just like others mentioned, crank the PV in at first so you are not really getting on the pipe.  And just ride it a gear tall and lug it around to you get familiar with her.  When you feel ready, start slowly dialing that PV back out for a sooner hit.  You can also tune these motors with the Suzuki needles to get even more of a linear transition.  If you have any more questions man feel free to hit me up.  I was in a very similar situation to you, questioning if it was the right decision knowing that this would be a huge transition.  Ill also point out at your height, you will really like the lower seat height of the Beta's.  

• Like 3

NW_drz Sounds like we have gone through similar bikes!

My bikes in order of ownership have been - XR80, KX 125, CRF230, YZ250F, YZ125, 13 WR250F, 15 WR250F and now .... ???

How did you find the suspension from the WR250F/FX compared to the Beta?

I like the suspension on both WR's, the 15 is even better then the 13, but its never bottomed on me and handles my type of riding pretty well.

On 3/26/2018 at 0:56 AM, m0tyrider said:

Even though I'm a newcomer to off-road, if you can sit the height of the Beta 300RR, that's the one you should get and just get a throttle tamer, different pipe, and ride it in wet map mode. The 300RR comes with a better suspension, and higher power output. Everything else, except that one inch seat height differential, is essentially the same. 

If your style is slow and technical, then the Xtrainer is best. After watching other guys get over impossible terrain (for me) on YouTube videos, either bike can deal with it. It's up to the rider.

I always fall back behind the other two guys I ride with when the trail gets more open. But it's almost entirely because I am still not comfortable with the speed. My Xtrainer can easily hit 65 mph on road. I don't think I've been over 35mph on dirt roads. I lack experience riding that kind of terrain.

On the electrical front (starter vs kicker), I understand wet cell batteries. Do NOT let them get below 80% charge level. Always keep them tended when not in use. Check them occasionally and throw them on a tender once a month when not in use. That battery can last YEARS if cared for. 

• Like 2

NW_drz Sounds like we have gone through similar bikes!

My bikes in order of ownership have been - XR80, KX 125, CRF230, YZ250F, YZ125, 13 WR250F, 15 WR250F and now .... ???

How did you find the suspension from the WR250F/FX compared to the Beta?

I like the suspension on both WR's, the 15 is even better then the 13, but its never bottomed on me and handles my type of riding pretty well.

With just the correct springs I’d say my OC Sachs were on par with my 12’ WR, but not on the level of the SSS on my FX. After a full revalve on my Sachs, I like them a lot. Great in the woods. The FX still gets the nod at open speed (which I rarely ride).

I’ll say it again though, I like my Beta a lot more overall than my FX. I have her super dialed in. Such an easy bike to ride.
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 10:15 PM, m0tyrider said:

Here is a shameless video link to my channel with some older riding footage - 

I didn't see anything in that video a Xtrainer or the 300RR couldn't handle with ease. I ride my Xtrainer 30-40+ miles per hour on roads like that all the time. And the rougher stuff the bike would soak it all up.

With your background with the WR/YZ bikes I would suggest the 300RR.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 3:29 AM, m0tyrider said:

The Xtrainer and the 300 rr are the same engine with tiny differences. 300rr is super easy to ride and the motor is mellow or can be made more wild if wanted super easy with an adjustable pv The Xtrainer and the rr have interchangeable parts like pipes for that matter. Ive even ridden a 300 rr with an xtrainer pipe.Its supposed to run with a little lower low end and not as much mid and top hit. It still winds out smooth and nice. rr is the better overall choice . Xtrainer more for tight riding.

I went riding yesterday. Guess what.. the brand new interstate battery I bought died in the trails..but I just used my kicker the rest of the day. I guess I’ll take back my Battery. Murphy’s law rules. It’s better to be aware and prepared 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

The Xtrainer and the 300 rr are the same engine with tiny differences. 300rr is super easy to ride and the motor is mellow or can be made more wild if wanted super easy with an adjustable pv The Xtrainer and the rr have interchangeable parts like pipes for that matter. Ive even ridden a 300 rr with an xtrainer pipe.Its supposed to run with a little lower low end and not as much mid and top hit. It still winds out smooth and nice. rr is the better overall choice . Xtrainer more for tight riding.

I went riding yesterday. Guess what.. the brand new interstate battery I bought died in the trails..but I just used my kicker the rest of the day. I guess I’ll take back my Battery. Murphy’s law rules. It’s better to be aware and prepared 

After what I have read so far and discussed with you in other topics, I think you just need to stay away from batteries. It seems like you have some special abilities on breaking batteries, either your own or the ones in near vicinity hahaha