WP Xplor fork solutions

I’m sure this has been mentioned in 13 pages(that I sorta skimmed) but Protune Suspension in Ohio is the supreme Xplor fix. Super linear feeling and soaks up anything you have. He basically guts the whole fork and replaces it with real valving and shims. All at a price that almost anyone can afford. Can’t say enough good things about his work. 

As you say, Corey at Protune does great work at a very reasonable price [emoji106][emoji106]

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, CdnX said:

Bought a '19 300 xcw early this riding season specifically to go hare scramble racing. I've put some time on the bike, re-sprung for my weight and find the suspension ok, which is being kind. Like many its ok for very low speed or moderate pace on flowing tracks. Pick up the pace over rocks and roots or banging into rough hare scramble tracks and I find the suspension beats me up. Rebound isn't controlled enough and compression becomes harsh at speed...so no different than the complaints documented here.  The shock is tolerable but doesn't do a good job tracking the ground and you loose traction on rougher tracks at speed. I've gotten it dialed in as well as I can to at least keep it pointing mostly straight but need to upgrade.

Not wanting to drop big bucks as weekend warrior but also not wanting to send a little several times to get to a workable solution I'm fence sitting on the XP-1 or Lucky set up.  I thought about simple revalve but thought that fits squarely into the spend a little then a little more category. Local shop recommended Ohlins inserts at about $2k (Cdn) which is much more than I want to spend.

Looking for feed back from those with the DS XP-1 installed. This is my economical solution with the Lucky being the top of my budget plans. I ride intermediate (albeit in the bottom of the class right now having only 2 races under my belt) and would like to not be beat up by the bike when I try to pull third or get bounced into a tree when I do.

My situation is very similar to yours.  I just today finished a race for the first time, out of four total.  I want my suspension to be appropriate for someone at the top of "B" class, because that is how I'm pushing myself to ride, currently.

Today's race was all sand, of varying nature.  Plenty of whoops, and I couldn't get my 150xcw to track straight.  Obviously, I'm not a great rider, but I'm good enough to know that the suspension was seriously limiting me.  I'm only 175 pounds on the trail, supposedly correct for the stock springs, but the bike would just bounce off the trail in response to any even slightly aggressive line.  Sort of pisses me off, really. I don't think it's responsible to sell a bike that can run over 60 miles per hour along with a suspension that probably shouldn't be over 30.

I usually get 1-3 hours on my trials bike during the workweek.  IMO the XPLOR is a trials bike suspension.  I've been shopping the alternatives for a while now, and the N10Z is really getting my attention.

9 hours ago, Jesse Haifley said:

My situation is very similar to yours.  I just today finished a race for the first time, out of four total.  I want my suspension to be appropriate for someone at the top of "B" class, because that is how I'm pushing myself to ride, currently.

Today's race was all sand, of varying nature.  Plenty of whoops, and I couldn't get my 150xcw to track straight.  Obviously, I'm not a great rider, but I'm good enough to know that the suspension was seriously limiting me.  I'm only 175 pounds on the trail, supposedly correct for the stock springs, but the bike would just bounce off the trail in response to any even slightly aggressive line.  Sort of pisses me off, really. I don't think it's responsible to sell a bike that can run over 60 miles per hour along with a suspension that probably shouldn't be over 30.

I usually get 1-3 hours on my trials bike during the workweek.  IMO the XPLOR is a trials bike suspension.  I've been shopping the alternatives for a while now, and the N10Z is really getting my attention.

Hey Jeese, an old post of mine but I still have the 300xcw and still race.  My understanding is the xcw line is an enduro bike with the suspension designed to be happier in slower technical terrain, but I agree it needs a little something more. My 2019 xcw was disappointing for the first 20-30 hours then the forks seemed to start working better, not deflecting off of small roots and rocks but still coming up a bit weak on breaking bumps as you come in hot from a straight line diving into a corner under braking load. The issue I'm told is the initial compression of the fork is very soft so you blow through the first half of the stroke very easily, then the second half it is very stiff so you get a fork that is both to soft and to firm lol.  Add to this the clickers seem to make no change in the how the fork responds. 

I was out of country last year and bought a bike where I was, a 2020 te250, never had and issue with the stock fork so clearly ktm/husky changed the valving a bit.  Anyway back to the 300xcw - I serviced the forks at about 75 hours and added the Dal Saggio XP-One kit and left a bit more of an air gap, (less fork oil) based on some internet advice,  then I reset the sag on the rear shock and began dialling in the forks and shocks starting with the KTM medium settings then going from there. It didn't take long to get them feeling really good. Really liking the set up now.

I don't have a lot of sand to ride here but as an all around set up for trail, enduro its working for me. For sand I think reducing rebound not he fork and dealing out a bit of preload on the rear shock helps....maybe get a second opinion on that lol....

I didn't have the xp-one kit in during this year's race season but have had several ride now and it feels good, bike holds the line, which I think has a lot to do with the rear shock setting, and it doesn't beat me up on the trail. 

I talk about the forks in the video below at around 5:30

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennyMc said:

I have since gone to the MXT Lucky’s on both my 300 and 500.  Very pleased with them 👍👍

Buddy of mine has the Lucky’s and likes them. Riding mint bike and his they feel pretty similar. I suspect the range in which the lucky performs is broader and the ability to fine tune with the clickers is better.  Didn’t try his at speed. Maybe we’ll do a video lol