KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

Im looking for a new bike. I  have a few ideas in mind a ktm 300 XC-W, a Beta 300rr  or a gas gas enduroGp 300. I ride a crf250r in the woods and getting my license soon so i want a 300cc dirt bike that is easy to get plated in NJ and great for woods riding.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mckee522 said:

Im looking for a new bike. I  have a few ideas in mind a ktm 300 XC-W, a Beta 300rr  or a gas gas enduroGp 300. I ride a crf250r in the woods and getting my license soon so i want a 300cc dirt bike that is easy to get plated in NJ and great for woods riding.

Ask @Ud_Luz, I think he's owned all 3 at different times.  In fact I think Ud was around before the internal combustion engine was invented, so he could probably tell you about steam engines too. ? 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Ask @Ud_Luz, I think he's owned all 3 at different times.  In fact I think Ud was around before the internal combustion engine was invented, so he could probably tell you about steam engines too. ? 

They cahnge so often you would have to have owned all the latest models, really riding them is the best most of us can do back to back is preferable.

MM

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Hey now. :bonk: 

27 minutes ago, MartyMOOSE said:

They cahnge so often you would have to have owned all the latest models, really riding them is the best most of us can do back to back is preferable.

MM

Absolutely correct. The Beta has a bit smaller frame and cockpit wise while traditionally GasGas tends to have the most bottom end torque. In all honesty right now I'd take any of the three with possibly the new GasGas being the ticket because of exceptional suspension and probably very good bottom end torque, probably even better than the Beta.

Frankly I think one could be quite happy with any of the three. For low end power they likely rank as GG the best, Beta 2nd followed by the KTM. Beta's starter actually works well. KTM and GG have improved theirs but it's still a bit of a kludge. GG now runs KYB suspension while Beta has a couple of options. I'm not a fan of the new cheapo Xplor forks KTM uses now on the 300xcw (I think they're a POS).

Usually Beta and GG have small dealers that seem much more attentive to their customers too. With the internet parts aren't an issue for any of them.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Ud_Luz said:

Absolutely correct. The Beta has a bit smaller frame and cockpit wise while traditionally GasGas tends to have the most bottom end torque. In all honesty right now I'd take any of the three with possibly the new GasGas being the ticket because of exceptional suspension and probably very good bottom end torque, probably even better than the Beta.

Frankly I think one could be quite happy with any of the three. For low end power they likely rank as GG the best, Beta 2nd followed by the KTM. Beta's starter actually works well. KTM and GG have improved theirs but it's still a bit of a kludge. GG now runs KYB suspension while Beta has a couple of options. I'm not a fan of the new cheapo Xplor forks KTM uses now on the 300xcw (I think they're a POS).

Usually Beta and GG have small dealers that seem much more attentive to their customers too. With the internet parts aren't an issue for any of them.

When I was doing research for my new bike my dealer helped me along through the process and answered all my questions. I have a ktm dealer 6 miles from my house, while they are a good dealer I was looking for a great dealer and great bike which I found in GG. My GG dealer is about 50 minutes from me and took the time to answer all my questions. I think your dealer input and support is very much a part of the buying process. 

I came from a 4 stroke ktm and still have the bike that now sits and is currently up for sale. I have resolved(for the most part) the GG starting issue, which isn't/wasn't a big deal to me. Time will tell on longevity and durability over time and as the hours start racking up. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Workerbee33 said:

When I was doing research for my new bike my dealer helped me along through the process and answered all my questions. I have a ktm dealer 6 miles from my house, while they are a good dealer I was looking for a great dealer and great bike which I found in GG. My GG dealer is about 50 minutes from me and took the time to answer all my questions. I think your dealer input and support is very much a part of the buying process. 

I came from a 4 stroke ktm and still have the bike that now sits and is currently up for sale. I have resolved(for the most part) the GG starting issue, which isn't/wasn't a big deal to me. Time will tell on longevity and durability over time and as the hours start racking up. 

I don't know about the new ones but my '07 EC300 has been brutalized and been stone cold reliable. Although a touch heavy, it's one of the best tight woods bikes I've ever owned. I have new bikes but still ride the GG when I ride at Chadwick, Missouri, a rocky technical nightmare. ? 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

Have to agree the Gas Gas right off the bottom is hard to beat and the suspension is a winner. I feel the Beta engine is smoother through the range though but the std rr suspension is not in the same league as the Gasser. I don't like the Xpolr either but the engine once jetted is pretty sweet and the lack of vibes is noticeable glad its not me making the choice. Very narrow window but the Gasser and the Beta(factory) get the nod from me. Now if we are talking 350's :):)

MM 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lennie said:

My mates got a new gas gas his ridden it 4 times and the starter motor is already broken, bike great apart from that but no way I would buy a bike with a shit starter.

Pretty much leaves out the KTM too.

Anyway, I'm old and it doesn't bother me to kick a 2 stroke. I'll quit riding if I can't. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

Pretty much leaves out the KTM too.

Anyway, I'm old and it doesn't bother me to kick a 2 stroke. I'll quit riding if I can't. 

Depends on what your riding. Standard enduro going no big deal to kick but if your doing extreme then you want a decent starter. I've done romanaics and am riding erzberg this year no way I'm buying a bike with an unreliable starter for events like that.

I like gas gas I had a ec before my beta but things have moved on and unreliable side mount starters have no place on bikes now.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 7

My experience  is the beta still needs a kicker . Starter is real good but battery issues can crop up regularly . Once the bikes over a season or two old it’s also hard to justify replacing a “good” battery until the sting of it leaving you stranded  makes you replace it. 

• Like 3

On 3/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, mckee522 said:

Whatever anyone on this forum tells you, you really need to ride all 3.  all 3 are so different.  Most important things for me are suspension and handling.  I could blindly tell you what bike I am riding based on the handling characteristics.  Especially KTM vs. Beta, they are so different.  If riding all 3 is not an option for you, I would pick on past experience and suspension.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lennie said:

My mates got a new gas gas his ridden it 4 times and the starter motor is already broken, bike great apart from that but no way I would buy a bike with a shit starter.

I do not know why GG did that.  Seems like they plopped the starter on like it is an afterthought.  They got everything else right.  Seems like the starter would have been a no brainer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpbova said:

I do not know why GG did that.  Seems like they plopped the starter on like it is an afterthought.  They got everything else right.  Seems like the starter would have been a no brainer 

I believe KTM had a Patent on the Starter being Horizontally mounted that is why the GG has it the way it does. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetfuel said:

I believe KTM had a Patent on the Starter being Horizontally mounted that is why the GG has it the way it does. 

why didn't they put it in the case like Beta did is my question

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jpbova said:

why didn't they put it in the case like Beta did is my question

Because they are using the old engine. 

They are designing a new one but obviously time was not enough. For comparison, Beta started drafting the 125 motor in 2013....

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Andrew Graham said:

My experience  is the beta still needs a kicker . Starter is real good but battery issues can crop up regularly . Once the bikes over a season or two old it’s also hard to justify replacing a “good” battery until the sting of it leaving you stranded  makes you replace it. 

Only had my 300RR for five months now and been trying to start it during the coldest months too. No battery tender, standard lead acid battery, NO problems ever. It's pretty fantastic if I do say so myself! :banana: I also have a kicker since it's a '15. Used it once to verify that it works. Who'd of thought that convenient engine starting could be so hard? :busted: 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1