KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

i have a 17 husky 300 (basicly a 300 xcw) and really like it. i found the suspension was fine and the E start was fixed on the 17 and i haven't kicked mine in 60 hours of riding. lack if vibration due to the counterbalance was the biggest plus. much nicer on the road. gasgas is lacking in aftermarket support compared to ktm and beta. i found the husky felt better than the beta but thats personal preference. hard to go wrong with any of them. try them all first if you can as no amount of reading will tell you if you will like it

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Carman said:

i have a 17 husky 300 (basicly a 300 xcw) and really like it. i found the suspension was fine and the E start was fixed on the 17 and i haven't kicked mine in 60 hours of riding. lack if vibration due to the counterbalance was the biggest plus. much nicer on the road. gasgas is lacking in aftermarket support compared to ktm and beta. i found the husky felt better than the beta but thats personal preference. hard to go wrong with any of them. try them all first if you can as no amount of reading will tell you if you will like it

He wants to be able to plate his bike (2 stroke), many areas do not allow you to plate a KTM anymore. Believe that's why he later dropped KTM as an option. Was similar for me also found a good Beta dealer less than an hour away, this makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Did they mention anything about estart?

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23032

I have one of the early 18's that had the e-start problem and it has been resolved free of charge. It now starts just as well as my Beta. I'm sure that's not what a fanboy wants to hear but it's just the way it is.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hammer41 said:

I have one of the early 18's that had the e-start problem and it has been resolved free of charge. It now starts just as well as my Beta. I'm sure that's not what a fanboy wants to hear but it's just the way it is.  

It’s the same faulty design as what KTM had for 8 years and changed.  Gasgas doesn’t have the design of ktm 4 strokes and now current 2 strokes and Sherco and Beta . It’s not fanboy. It’s just looking at what works and what doesn’t. Expect more problems. That’s just the way it is. There’s a reason I didn’t buy KTM and gasgas. That design estart is one of them. Why would I buy a new bike that has a long history of estart problems with the same old design that has failed before? Would you buy a new 2016 ktm 300? Same thing right? All the 16’ ktm 300 estart worked fine till they broke. That’s just how it is.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

Can you share technical details regarding the problem and its fixes because I have an orange deja vu situation.... 

Try scrolling through here... got a variety of estart ktm vids. Plus there’s that link I posted from the gasgasriders thread earlier here.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

5 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Am I reading wonderful things or what? 

From what I am reading in the sticky, problem is not exactly solved. 

Another fact is that until now the problem is current drainage. Still the starters on the bikes have not worked enough to see if new problems related to the bend will surface. 

This bike's design and reliability, it's just cannot be compared to Beta original design. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, weantright said:

In short the starter engages but no spin, disengages or not engages from ground not making a good circuit. Replace with larger gauge or add in another ground to the system fixes this. Again this is a short explanation.

The bikes turn over fine they just won't start. I put my spark tester on and no spark when cranking on E start. New rotor and pcm and it works fine.

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

It’s the same faulty design as what KTM had for 8 years and changed.  Gasgas doesn’t have the design of ktm 4 strokes and now current 2 strokes and Sherco and Beta . It’s not fanboy. It’s just looking at what works and what doesn’t. Expect more problems. That’s just the way it is. There’s a reason I didn’t buy KTM and gasgas. That design estart is one of them. Why would I buy a new bike that has a long history of estart problems with the same old design that has failed before? Would you buy a new 2016 ktm 300? Same thing right? All the 16’ ktm 300 estart worked fine till they broke. That’s just how it is.

I have a 2011 EC 250 estart. I would bet it has more hours on it than you have on all the bikes you have owned together and it has never not started on the e start. You really are the BRO science of dirt bikes. 

• Like 3