KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

3 hours ago, dirtbird said:

Am I reading wonderful things or what? 

From what I am reading in the sticky, problem is not exactly solved. 

Another fact is that until now the problem is current drainage. Still the starters on the bikes have not worked enough to see if new problems related to the bend will surface. 

This bike's design and reliability, it's just cannot be compared to Beta original design. 

The bummer is the thread got shut down before the problem was resolved. To me   No sense. There was progress toward resolving the issue but it wasn’t enough.. so you just go on. But I guess TT threads get shut down too . But trollers are in large quantities here. This estart issue is nothing new. It’s sounding like the tons of ktm and gasgas threads for years. There is one thread from balisticchris for 498 Beta to put a thick ground wire from the starter to the frame to help improve starting but thats about it. .. and that’s to enhance operation not fix what is broken. Beta estart is great like ktm 4 stroke estart is great. Ikept thinking in 2009 and on.. Why does my ktm powered rfs motored Beta 525 work great when ktms 2 strokes keep &%$#@!ing up and costing big bucks to fix only to break again later. Gasgas has the same system and when I went to gasgasriders there was all this talk of shimming and some same stuff as ktm. Well since they didn’t change the general design from 2011? Gonna have the same lame results. I bet Gasgas changes this in the next year or more. They are phasing out this motor.

The bummer is the guy starting that gasgas thread didn’t get his estart issue fixed.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hammer41 said:

I have a 2011 EC 250 estart. I would bet it has more hours on it than you have on all the bikes you have owned together and it has never not started on the e start. You really are the BRO science of dirt bikes. 

My friend was the gasgas dealer for many years. It’s who I was going to for about 15 years for my cr 250 honda parts and work and my 300 ec. It’s also where Id hang out . I have a gasgas 300 for many years and before my  Beta 2 strokes . Ive seen a bunch of ktm, gasgas, Beta in the shops to fix. I have been lucky enough to see some of what breaks and what doesn’t when seeing broken bikes in the shop. Id say Gasgas is better than ktm but thats not saying much. I was going to get gasgas estart as its a better choice than ktm.. but compared to Beta??? No comparison and you know it. Ive spent enough time in gasgasriders searching up to put estart on my 300 ec. You know what kind of feedback I got there??   Basically.. Don’t put gasgas estart on your bike. You can read gasgasrider archives to read it . So the brand goes under and comes back but with the same design years later? Duh

This is an afterthought design of an estart and Im betting the new gasgas motors will have estart like ktm, beta and Sherco soon. These will be like the 2016 and earlier ktm 2 strokes. They work until they break or maybe some will last longer than others. And where is resell? There’s a bunch of husky ktm 2 t pre 17’ on Craigslist and for not alot. Guys just rather buy new 17 and up ktm with the better starter.

Come on.. This new gasgas may ride well but everyone knows the estart is the huge weak point of this transitional bike. It's not a secret .It's the same shit for years. If guys don't care and are willing to buy it anyway no big deal..Enjoy ... but no way would I buy this bike because of this junk design estart and because next year this bike will be probably hugely different again. It's in transition. The biggest draw is the kyb suspension. The other lame part is a taller seat height.. to me that's lame for enduro bikes. It's following KTM in design and look.. then adding kyb.. maybe  a nice recipe for some.. not me. I'd buy a ktm or husky before getting Gasgas.. and all the top 300 2 strokes are awesome bikes.. Sherco,Beta, Husky KTM.. only TM drops behind with a 5 speed and no estart.. still great running bikes that look pretty.

1 minute ago, hammer41 said:

-5 C in my garage right now bike had not been started in a week.   Not sure how it could start any better.

well hope you don't have problems.. I'd bet you'd be concerned if you had spent as many hours looking on threads on gasgasrider and TT and other places researching what works and what doesn't as I have.. but good luck to you and hope you never have issues.

• Like 1

I have a 2018 Xtrainer without the kick start. I'll go with it until it fails. Since I am almost never alone on the trail, and I've rescued my buddies many times, I'll get out. 

How difficult is the install if I just buy the kit from Beta?

1 hour ago, nocturnal said:

I have a 2018 Xtrainer without the kick start. I'll go with it until it fails. Since I am almost never alone on the trail, and I've rescued my buddies many times, I'll get out. 

How difficult is the install if I just buy the kit from Beta?

I didn’t do it. There’s a vid of it somewhere. Just google lit and threads and vid should come up. Haven’t heard it’s that hard. 

Wait here. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 5:33 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

well hope you don't have problems.. I'd bet you'd be concerned if you had spent as many hours looking on threads on gasgasrider and TT and other places researching what works and what doesn't as I have.. but good luck to you and hope you never have issues.

Sounds like some of the very first 18s were having e start issues when the bike was cold. After it was warm the estart worked fine. GG fixed all of these issues for free for everybody that wanted it and for the remainder of the bikes being sent out. I bought mine in August with the updates and it works flawalessly. They are amazing bikes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Was that a starter issue or a battery issue?

There’s alot more at betarider on starter issues. (Restarted thread? )Supposedly there’s a transition to current ktm and beta and sherco type design starters for gasgas. Gasgas didn’t get to do it this year so maybe next year or the year after. 

Here’s one thread.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23150

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There’s alot more at GASGASRIDER on starter issues. (Restarted thread? )Supposedly there’s a transition to current ktm and beta and sherco type design starters for gasgas. Gasgas didn’t get to do it this year so maybe next year or the year after. 

Here’s one thread.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23150

Fixed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

Was that a starter issue or a battery issue?

I think a mixture of both. With the original battery it was not strong enough to start it cold. You would have to use the kick for the first start of the ride which is never a problem. The bike starts in one kick every time. Once warm, the stock battery is strong enough to restart the bike. I bought a shorai 210 CCA battery and now the bike starts every time warm or cold. The starter on the betas is no doubt better, but the one on the gas gas works just fine now. It may have been an issue when the 18s first came out, but it is a non issue now. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

I think a mixture of both. With the original battery it was not strong enough to start it cold. You would have to use the kick for the first start of the ride which is never a problem. The bike starts in one kick every time. Once warm, the stock battery is strong enough to restart the bike. I bought a shorai 210 CCA battery and now the bike starts every time warm or cold. The starter on the betas is no doubt better, but the one on the gas gas works just fine now. It may have been an issue when the 18s first came out, but it is a non issue now. 

My buddy has a 2014 ktm 300 all maxed out with mods. Trick bike and it’s setup well . He had to fix his estart when he got it but it works great now. The estart design isn’t as good as the latest ktm 300 or Beta etc but it works fine. If it breaks just gotta fix again. Betas I think have a better estart and are more reliable but whatever. Every bike can break sometimes. You just pick what you like and ride. 

Actually... for this thread there ought to be all the bikes in the 2 stroke 300 enduro class to compare. It shouldn’t be 3 bikes. So include Sherco and Husky and TM and any other bike one can think of. I’d still choose Beta 300 race personally but since were comparing why not all?  If I didn’t ride Beta I think I’d get a Husky 300 TE probably. That’s my second pick..then mod accordingly to what guys are doing to get the bike working right.. Some of this and guarding up? Plus suspension etc etc.. but Beta eliminates alot of this and I like the lower seat height than all the other bikes. . And the better warranty... and how the bike looks.. and...and andand.. I keep looking at all the newest bikes over and over and still like Beta best considering what is available. I’m not even feeling to need to upgrade from my 2015 rr yet. 

• Like 1

I keep looking at all the latest 2 stroke 300 enduro  bikes available over and over again just to see the latest greatest goodies that we can buy. . I have looked at this a bunch of times and compared . It’s another repeat link .. again.. Still it’s pretty amazing what anyone can get stock. 

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/3089-my-ride-steve-holcombe-s-beta-rr-300-racing

I know. I keep throwing this link up. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, Sierra_rider said:

If I was buying a new 300 right now, it'd be a toss up between the GasGas or another Beta race edition. I'd like the GasGas purely because of the Kayaba suspension...downside is that they don't have nearly the aftermarket support of the Beta. Having owned 2 Beta's, I really like the handling...definitely can ride either bike better than the yz250 I came off of. It's just that the Marzocchi anodizing issues on my '15 300 have left a bitter taste in my mouth and I don't have a ton of confidence in the CC Sachs not having the same issue. 

Beta really isn't an exotic bike anymore, yet they still choose to outfit their bikes with boutique suspension...time to move on to quality,proven suspension.

curious of what you think of the 2019 beta suspension?  ZF