KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

33 minutes ago, newk75 said:

I have the 390 rr-s big brother and the 300 rr and they are both great and plated for the road. It's a personal choice 2t or 4t buy I, personally, have not sat on the 4t since the 300 arrived. So the 500 is for sale. 

wow that post says a lot... thank you... im 90% sure the 300 rr it is

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

I’m a bike whore. Lots of bikes passed through the garage. Beta is going on 13 months now. That’s a while folks. 

Same here. I'm usually a different bike every 18 months. Usually multiple in the garage with dedicated dirt bike, dualsport, sport touring all available. Predominantly 2-strokes for the past 15 years. 

The Beta 390 is staying put! She's a keeper!  Shockingly it's held together through a year and a half of NW woods abuse including a week in Moab, even with that electrical system engineered and put together by Italian drunk mental health patients and the forks have survived despite the Chinese reject coating.

It's a Christmas miracle Timmy!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just keep in mind that until you separate the forks, you can't tell if the anodizing has wear. Even with the upper in the hand, it's still quite difficult..... 

And all of them wear out at some point, even KYBs and WPs. Still depends on use and maintenance. 

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, dirtbird said:

Just keep in mind that until you separate the forks, you can't tell if the anodizing has wear. Even with the upper in the hand, it's still quite difficult..... 

And all of them wear out at some point, even KYBs and WPs. Still depends on use and maintenance. 

Yes, and cartridges/rods wear as well, just from hrs. of use.  There are NO production forks with T3 hard coated parts, none.  Just different quality of lesser coatings on different alloys with different finishing processes.  '19 Sachs is a little vague and remains to be seen as they imply something but do not state this specifically.   Other variables as well as coating have a significant impact on the end result.

2oysqw.jpg

It's almost Christmas and this thread is the gift that keeps on giving!

flapping gums for 20 pages and then all of a sudden guys get bent out of shape and try to get all serious!

I love exaggerated things knowing full well some guys are going to get easily get triggered! Reminds me of the college SJW"s?

There's guys who understand that all dirt bikes have quirks, known points of weakness, and items to keep track of. 

Ride the damn bike, following each ride go over the bike and ensure everything is in proper working order just like every good rider should be doing, at all times, on any brand.

Take special notice of the areas that you know there may be a possible problem. Address those areas if necessary or reinforce them.

Most importantly service your bike on a regular basis to avoid excessive wear! This always has been and always will be the key to keep your bike performing optimally. 

It's not rocket sciences, anyone who's been around dirt bikes for any length of time understands this is part of the ridng experience no matter what brand of bike you own. 

Some beta owners unfortunately, exaggerated some of the known weak points and blow them out of proportion. It's very entertaining watching how they get so emotional, sensitive, and upset when you challenge them. Kinda revealing really. 

Hopefully this thread keeps going, it's got to, it's just too good to good. 

btw, I've had my forks apart twice for fresh fluid and inspection, check my wiring points of wear after each ride, zip tie and use aircraft protective coatings on exposed connections. Zero issues with my year and a half old Beta. 

Common sense cannot be taught, and will not be tolerated! 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

10 hours ago, shrubitup said:

I’m a bike whore. Lots of bikes passed through the garage. Beta is going on 13 months now. That’s a while folks. 

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, it seems that most of my bikes have been replaced on the five year plan. In fact I most likely could list every one I've owned since 1969, the exception to the 5 year ownership was my RMX. The RMX had been ported for the previous owner and lacked good low and mid power but had a top-end that was scary. Also, my IT175 and now the Beta have been the only new bikes purchased. Yes I squeak when I walk!?

• Like 1

Really, this TT forum is an extremely poor place to come get solid, trustworthy, or reliable information. It's a fun distraction and had some passionate guys, but it's full of more BS than any forum I've been on for the past 15 years. The reality it is anonymous and guys can create persona and lie easily, ask me how I know!

I enjoy the participation and dialogue, but it's not my go to as a real reliable source. There's far superior insights and expertise to find elsewhere. 

When it comes to bikes I always fall back on the advice from the firefighter veterans that trained me almost 20 years ago. 

1) Know your tool. Study it and know it intimately! 

2) Practice with your tool. Become proficient in using your tool!

3) Take care of your tool. Maintain it and keep it in perfect working order!

4) Don't be a tool! No one wants to work with, or be around a tool! 

BTW, the 1st 3 apply to more than your dirt bike ?

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

I'm at the other end of the spectrum, it seems that most of my bikes have been replaced on the five year plan. In fact I most likely could list every one I've owned since 1969, the exception to the 5 year ownership was my RMX. The RMX had been ported for the previous owner and lacked good low and mid power but had a top-end that was scary. Also, my IT175 and now the Beta have been the only new bikes purchased. Yes I squeak when I walk!?

I do it half as often and buy new. :p

Tested the beta 300 and power and suspension was fantastic. Best motor in town and suspension was like driving on clouds but it vibrated so much that it felt in my hands days after. I have got carpal tunnel so the ktm:s from 17 is my only choice here. My friends that do not suffer from this disease also complained about the vibs.

• Like 1

Assuming this was a new tight bike, it has to be deviations in crank alignment/balance.  Mine has always been exceptional, but others I've ridden vibrated more.  Get the CTS release surgery if you can there, my buddy had it and is a new man on the bike.

23 minutes ago, Petter Ivarsson said:

Tested the beta 300 and power and suspension was fantastic. Best motor in town and suspension was like driving on clouds but it vibrated so much that it felt in my hands days after. I have got carpal tunnel so the ktm:s from 17 is my only choice here. My friends that do not suffer from this disease also complained about the vibs.

Gpx moto tse250r also counter balanced. 

10 minutes ago, GP said:

Assuming this was a new tight bike, it has to be deviations in crank alignment/balance.  Mine has always been exceptional, but others I've ridden vibrated more.  Get the CTS release surgery if you can there, my buddy had it and is a new man on the bike.

That is something I miss about my first GasGas, the counterbalanced crank. Both my newer GG and the Beta are pretty buzzy. I'm used to it and it doesn't really bother me but my kid dislikes my 300rr. Kind of strange since he rides an older KTM 200. He claims it's "different" and drives his feet crazy. ? 

• Like 1

Got the WP's back from endurospec! Now just waiting on the Sachs. FWIW Warren said my oil was pretty bad in my sachs. He said it was about 50/50 on which ones wore poorly. He wanted to send them off to Japan but I didn't want to be without them that long. Looks like I will have to send them out next winter. 

He actually asked me if I had ever changed it, and they only had about 30 hours on them with AMS oil Shock therapy.... no bueno. 

20181214_125320.jpg

Edited by Raging Petunia

2 hours ago, Petter Ivarsson said:

I have ProGrip gel grips and ProTaper EVO handlebars on mine. I have to watch impact to my hands but so far no problems. You don't smoke, do you?