mckee522

KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

The 300xc is a badass rig. Check out the sherco 300 as well if your just shopping

• Like 2

If you find a place to ride all three, let me know! :ride: I will pretend to be your adviser. I can't imagine that you could make a mistake. I LOVE the 300 RR but I could get with the GG from what I have read. 

• Like 1

Especially that gasgas GP version or whatever they called it. 

• Like 1

If I was buying a new 300 right now, it'd be a toss up between the GasGas or another Beta race edition. I'd like the GasGas purely because of the Kayaba suspension...downside is that they don't have nearly the aftermarket support of the Beta. Having owned 2 Beta's, I really like the handling...definitely can ride either bike better than the yz250 I came off of. It's just that the Marzocchi anodizing issues on my '15 300 have left a bitter taste in my mouth and I don't have a ton of confidence in the CC Sachs not having the same issue. 

Beta really isn't an exotic bike anymore, yet they still choose to outfit their bikes with boutique suspension...time to move on to quality,proven suspension.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, jpbova said:

I do not know why GG did that.  Seems like they plopped the starter on like it is an afterthought.  They got everything else right.  Seems like the starter would have been a no brainer 

Supposedly the starter issues has a bulletin out that will fix it. I will get my back in the shop in the next 2 weeks and report back if it is fixed. 

11 hours ago, Andrew Graham said:

My experience  is the beta still needs a kicker . Starter is real good but battery issues can crop up regularly . Once the bikes over a season or two old it’s also hard to justify replacing a “good” battery until the sting of it leaving you stranded  makes you replace it. 

Yea I agree. I think all bikes need one so if getting a new Beta the kickstarter kit should be on the list unless picking up a new leftover 17. The estart on Beta works well.. sometimes batteries don’t work.. go dead on all brands. My brand new interstate battery died yesterday in the trails. It was brand new so I thought it was fully charged.. maybe it wasn’t? We were doing some extreme type get the rad fan going slip the clutch no air flow riding up muddy hills with bikes smoking stuff. It’s easier to drain the battery in those situations. Whatever. It’s no issue when you have a kicker. To me every bike should have a kicker and an estart... but at the very least a kicker.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

The other part depends on what kind of “ woods riding “ is done. If doing more extreme enduro type riding the lower seat height of the Beta is a simple but huge benefit. All the new bikes are great but tall bikes suck for hard enduro. If you are taller and or riding open trails or just in between trees a taller bike isn’t that big a deal. I’m 6’1” and I can ride all the different taller bikes but it sucks in hard stuff.. It’s as simple as how easy is it to touch the ground...steep off camber hills going straight down super steep downhills or stream crossing or rock gardens the lower seat height is a no brainer. I had a taller seat for my Beta 300 rr and it’s great for lots of riding but in sketchy super steep downhills I was eating it going over at times crashing or close to it. I went back to my stock lower height seat and problem solved. I don’t get the taller and taller seat for enduro bikes. Just one element that may or not apply for some but applies for me. Buying lowering kits is another option but that seems lame too for most.

• Like 3

I would not buy a GG just because of resale value. I sold my 16 300 rr quick without advertising and bought a new one. Most people need springs and a revalve anyway.
All three bikes are awesome it’s great to have these options

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

The other part depends on what kind of “ woods riding “ is done. If doing more extreme enduro type riding the lower seat height of the Beta is a simple but huge benefit. All the new bikes are great but tall bikes suck for hard enduro. If you are taller and or riding open trails or just in between trees a taller bike isn’t that big a deal. I’m 6’1” and I can ride all the different taller bikes but it sucks in hard stuff.. It’s as simple as how easy is it to touch the ground...steep off camber hills going straight down super steep downhills or stream crossing or rock gardens the lower seat height is a no brainer. I had a taller seat for my Beta 300 rr and it’s great for lots of riding but in sketchy super steep downhills I was eating it going over at times crashing or close to it. I went back to my stock lower height seat and problem solved. I don’t get the taller and taller seat for enduro bikes. Just one element that may or not apply for some but applies for me. Buying lowering kits is another option but that seems lame too for most.

We have some xTrainers. While the suspension is a bit soft, killer bikes on nasty trails. :banana: 

• Like 5

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Lennie said:

My mates got a new gas gas his ridden it 4 times and the starter motor is already broken, bike great apart from that but no way I would buy a bike with a shit starter.

There's a fix for this. My dealer does this fix at set-up and done this prior to Gas Gas issuing the bulletin. He has yet to have one come back.

16 hours ago, newk75 said:

If you find a place to ride all three, let me know! :ride: I will pretend to be your adviser. I can't imagine that you could make a mistake. I LOVE the 300 RR but I could get with the GG from what I have read. 

We are in the market for a 250. My dealer has all three (TE250, EC300, 300RR) in the shop however not all can be ridden. At least we can throw a leg over them.

15 hours ago, OscarFox said:

Especially that gasgas GP version or whatever they called it. 

GP model doesn't really have much, but expensive items. Fork anodizing, triple clamps, seat cover and graphics. Frame, motor exhaust and suspension is the same.

13 hours ago, Workerbee33 said:

Supposedly the starter issues has a bulletin out that will fix it. I will get my back in the shop in the next 2 weeks and report back if it is fixed. 

My dealer does this fix at set-up and done this prior to Gas Gas issuing the bulletin. He has yet to have one come back. Late build bikes are fixed from factory.

10 minutes ago, weantright said:

GP model doesn't really have much, but expensive items. Fork anodizing, triple clamps, seat cover and graphics. Frame, motor exhaust and suspension is the same.

True, but they are parts I wouldn't have to buy down the road. What's the price bump on the GP model?

4 minutes ago, OscarFox said:

True, but they are parts I wouldn't have to buy down the road. What's the price bump on the GP model?

Not saying it's bad, just putting it out there. No price given, was told it should be similar to a Beta RR RE increase.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OscarFox said:

$700 more. And it comes with more than just annodizing, clamps, graphics and seat cover 

A Rekluse clutch cover and housing, exclusive to Enduro GP models, that is claimed to provide increased efficiency and cooling
=A cylinder head with a new combustion chamber for greater torque and more precise response
-A complete FMF exhaust system
-Renthal 997 handlebar and Renthal grips
-X-Trig machined red anodized triple clamps
-New machined handlebar clamps designed to add strength to the handlebar mounting system
-Kayaba “Factory Racing” Enduro GP forks incorporating a new black anti-friction treatment (DLC coating) for more supple suspension action
-A floating front brake disc for increased for improved front brake feel
-Black spokes
-An Enduro GP=specific seat, in factory racing team colors, for extra grip
-Exclusive Enduro GP plastic covers and graphics
-A black-anodized aluminum rear sprocket

Edited by Workerbee33

12 minutes ago, Workerbee33 said:

$700 more. And it comes with more than just annodizing, clamps, graphics and seat cover 

A Rekluse clutch cover and housing, exclusive to Enduro GP models, that is claimed to provide increased efficiency and cooling
=A cylinder head with a new combustion chamber for greater torque and more precise response
-New machined handlebar clamps designed to add strength to the handlebar mounting system
-Kayaba “Factory Racing” Enduro GP forks incorporating a new black anti-friction treatment (DLC coating) for more supple suspension action
-Black spokes

Good luck getting your hands on one, pretty sure there were just a few and all sold the 1st 10 days.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Workerbee33 said:

-Black spokes

Well there you go. Was told the exhaust is the same as the XC and the recluse is just a cover with more oil volume. How do you like the 997 handlebars?

1 minute ago, Johnny Depp said:

Good luck getting your hands on one, pretty sure there were just a few and all sold the 1st 10 days.

He has one or it appears as posted above.

Edited by weantright

1 minute ago, weantright said:

Well there you go. How do you like the 997 handlebars?

He has one or it appears as posted above.

Yes, I meant the OP

Just now, Johnny Depp said:

Yes, I meant the OP

The GP is still available not sure how many. The recluse includes the clutch not just a cover. I run flexx bars so no clue on the 997

Posted (edited)

I hated the 999 bend and the weight was 2x as much.

Edited by weantright