mckee522

KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

16 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yea I agree. I think all bikes need one so if getting a new Beta the kickstarter kit should be on the list unless picking up a new leftover 17. The estart on Beta works well.. sometimes batteries don’t work.. go dead on all brands. My brand new interstate battery died yesterday in the trails. It was brand new so I thought it was fully charged.. maybe it wasn’t? We were doing some extreme type get the rad fan going slip the clutch no air flow riding up muddy hills with bikes smoking stuff. It’s easier to drain the battery in those situations. Whatever. It’s no issue when you have a kicker. To me every bike should have a kicker and an estart... but at the very least a kicker.

I'm surprised I still have my original battery from September '14 on my '15 300rr. The only thing that ever went wrong with the starter was the main wire rubbed and shorted out on the float bowl, easy fix once I found it. I use the starter everytime, I think I just want to see how long it will go until it fails. Yes, every bike needs a kicker, I have a Rekluse and it saved me when I had that short. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Baxter67 said:

I'm surprised I still have my original battery from September '14 on my '15 300rr. The only thing that ever went wrong with the starter was the main wire rubbed and shorted out on the float bowl, easy fix once I found it. I use the starter everytime, I think I just want to see how long it will go until it fails. Yes, every bike needs a kicker, I have a Rekluse and it saved me when I had that short. 

Actually my original battery from my 15 300 rr has worked great and super long. Was working on My 350 rr had a relatively new 220ca Shorai battery that wasn’t holding its charge well. I put my 0ld 300rr battery in my 350 and took out the shorai which is supposed to be great but hasn’t shown it’s worth the extra money yet. It’s rubbish for what I paid. I have another shorai for my 525 that seems good.That old stock battery from my 300 rr works great for the 350 too. For the hell of it I just bought this plain old generic interstate battery . It died in some harder tech trails with some overheating and lots of throttle and clutch work. Just have to recharge and or check whats up. Maybe need to take back to interstate idk. Or get another battery. Or just recharge and test.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

You mentioned you wanted to plate it. Not sure how things are there but in Wisconsin, can't plate KTMs anymore (Except the intended dual sports of course). Not an issue really for the smaller companies but once KTM got big they got noticed by the DMV and we couldn't get away with it anymore.

Both my 2017 Beta 300s are plated.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2018 at 0:34 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Actually my original battery from my 15 300 rr has worked great and super long. Was working on My 350 rr had a relatively new 220ca Shorai battery that wasn’t holding its charge well. I put my 0ld 300rr battery in my 350 and took out the shorai which is supposed to be great but hasn’t shown it’s worth the extra money yet. It’s rubbish for what I paid. I have another shorai for my 525 that seems good.That old stock battery from my 300 rr works great for the 350 too. For the hell of it I just bought this plain old generic interstate battery . It died in some harder tech trails with some overheating and lots of throttle and clutch work. Just have to recharge and or check whats up. Maybe need to take back to interstate idk. Or get another battery. Or just recharge and test.

The new interstate battery failed ithe load test. It’s going back to interstate on Monday.  Brand new battery can be defective. Kickers are still an awesome backup.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 11:25 AM, mckee522 said:

Im looking for a new bike. I  have a few ideas in mind a ktm 300 XC-W, a Beta 300rr  or a gas gas enduroGp 300. I ride a crf250r in the woods and getting my license soon so i want a 300cc dirt bike that is easy to get plated in NJ and great for woods riding.

I have lived in NJ my entire life, and ridden dirt bikes here since 1976. You cannot get a new KTM 2T tagged here anymore. That is why I have a brand new Beta 300... left the dealer with a tag. I do not know about Gas Gas, but I'd make sure before you buy one. 

• Like 3

I believe KTM had a Patent on the Starter being Horizontally mounted that is why the GG has it the way it does. 
Ktm got a patent on a turd that never worked for 8 years? What a joke!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2018 at 11:09 PM, Workerbee33 said:

I have the 300 GP and it's amazing. 

20180309_160837.jpg

This is my favorite bike out of 3 being mentioned in here.. Certainly one of the best looking, great suspension package and comes with nice add-ons . i like Orange but this GP has everything. It's basically a Six-days without the graphics.  The resale will hopefully come up on these as they keep making sweet bikes like this. And now Sherco is also a good forth option for a 300 2 stroke.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motocrotts said:
On 3/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, jetfuel said:
I believe KTM had a Patent on the Starter being Horizontally mounted that is why the GG has it the way it does. 

Ktm got a patent on a turd that never worked for 8 years? What a joke!

Well to be fair everything with moving parts can and will break for all brands. It’s just some break alot more and cost alot more than others and there’s a big difference in frequency. It’s just that ktm knew it was a half ass design from the first year. through to the 8th! But maybe it’s not done. My buddy just made a youtube vid of fixing his 17 ktm starter. Holy crap what a crazy pain in the ass. And it’s not only the starter that can go south and it can cost alot in parts. Beta still has the best starter system from what I can tell but maybe Sherco is good too? Better? Idk. But sherco almost  has to be with no kicker option. That’s where gasgas is good. The plain old kicker ! No one seems to talk about gasgas old style estarter that is the same Basic design as the crap older design ktm. What’s with that? It’ seems weird .why the blind eye? Gasgas got some good and bad.

Im moving towards a new GG xc 300 and dropping my ktm 300xc.

• Like 3

Ive done all the research and how i ride seems this bike is the right choice. Are the headlights and electronics plug and play? Im in Nh and id love to take one for a spin.
My bike was all plug and play. I'm in Oregon, catch a flight. I have spare bikes
  • Like 1

Lol hows the riding out there? My wife and i have been talking about making the move to Bend.

Lol hows the riding out there? My wife and i have been talking about making the move to Bend.
Oregon is great.
Bend is high desert with a few slower technical sections but mostly fast single track.
Western Oregon is all slow technical and you can ride the dunes at the coast. I live in eugene and I'm about 1.5 hours to bend, 1hr to the coast and 15minutes-2hr drive to all the technical single track you could ever want.
  • Like 1

Eugenes nice as well. I spent some time out there in my younger years. Its a big move tho. I appreciate the info.

This is my favorite bike out of 3 being mentioned in here.. Certainly one of the best looking, great suspension package and comes with nice add-ons . i like Orange but this GP has everything. It's basically a Six-days without the graphics.  The resale will hopefully come up on these as they keep making sweet bikes like this. And now Sherco is also a good forth option for a 300 2 stroke.   

Ok, how much otd? Sure looks good.

1 hour ago, motocrotts said:
8 hours ago, jetfuel said:

Read more  

Ok, how much otd? Sure looks good.

Good ?    I have not seen any for sale around here yet .. any by you ? 

Good ?    I have not seen any for sale around here yet .. any by you ? 
There are a couple over at the gg dealer. About 40 miles from me. Havent been over to look at them. May have to.
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 5:25 AM, mckee522 said:

Im looking for a new bike. I  have a few ideas in mind a ktm 300 XC-W, a Beta 300rr  or a gas gas enduroGp 300. I ride a crf250r in the woods and getting my license soon so i want a 300cc dirt bike that is easy to get plated in NJ and great for woods riding.

I think lots of reading of multiple threads on multiple sites of gasgas Beta and KTM will do you well. It’s free and you can get feedback  from owners plus hopefully you can get some local real world feedback aswell. I wanted to upgrade from my honda cr 250 to a 300 2 stroke estart bike. My first intent was to get a 2009 KTM 300 exc in 2009 . Bikes known to boil and didn’t turn well.  I read and saw local issues with estart and it’s very expensive to fix. Next I wanted a 2011 gasgas 300 ec estart. I rode a friends bike and loved how it rode but gasgas had issues with the factory for years. It also had the same not so great design estart. Next I sheard about the Beta 300 coming out in 2013. I continued reading about all the brands and still just enjoyed riding my cr 250 honda. Ktm continued producing 300s for 8 years before making a better design. Gasgas went out of business and before it did changed it’s design to be taller seat height bikes like mx bikes instead of enduro bikes. Betas 300 2 stroke won bike of the year but what was best was that I continued watching local riders with the Beta 300 for about a year. The bike was solid and was lower seat height. No estart failures..Guys liked them alot. The company was solid. Gasgas goes under. I had bought a used gasgas 300 and thought maybe I could adapt estart to it. You couldn’t and had heard that it was a pain and gasgas guys had issues with them. As gasgas went under guys left gasgas to go to Beta and ktm and Husky. Ktm and husky still had estart issues that were running around $500 a pop to fix. After a year after Beta was out. 2014 .. and me reading threads on all bikes and learning what was good and not so good and seeing and riding all 3 top 300 estart bikes ...I bought a year old 2013 300 rr Beta. I loved that bike. I researched the hell out of the 300 enduro estart 2 stroke class. .. for years. What maybe 5 years? I was still loving my cr 250 and riding that the whole time. 

Now its 2018. Finally ktm has improved their bike with a better estart and a counterbalancer. Gasgas is back with an upgraded bike but a highr bike. It’s got the same starter. This is also a transition bike. The design is on it’s first design change in the 2 or 3 years of being  in business .  

I think just read all the brand threads and see whats going on locally with the bikes in question. Id wait. Study up and analyze. Just that gasgas for 18 has the shitty old style estart is a huge no way to me. Especially if next year gasgas decides to have a whole new motor with a good estart like they plan. Just hang out with all the ktm husky husaberg guys that were sick and sold them because they were sick of broken estart that took $500 a pop to fix. Guys just fixed their ktm estart and sold them or just left their estart broken and kicked to start. 

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23032&page=8

To me read up .. I think you’ll learn what’s the best bike for you.  

• Like 2