Jump to content
mckee522

KTM 300 or Beta 300rr or Gas Gas 300

Recommended Posts

Buddy with a pristine 14 KTM 300XC is kicking his and glad to have the option. E-start just will not last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ring ding ding said:

Buddy with a pristine 14 KTM 300XC is kicking his and glad to have the option. E-start just will not last.

This is a ktm problem not an e start problem.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a 17 husky 300 (basicly a 300 xcw) and really like it. i found the suspension was fine and the E start was fixed on the 17 and i haven't kicked mine in 60 hours of riding. lack if vibration due to the counterbalance was the biggest plus. much nicer on the road. gasgas is lacking in aftermarket support compared to ktm and beta. i found the husky felt better than the beta but thats personal preference. hard to go wrong with any of them. try them all first if you can as no amount of reading will tell you if you will like it

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Carman said:

i have a 17 husky 300 (basicly a 300 xcw) and really like it. i found the suspension was fine and the E start was fixed on the 17 and i haven't kicked mine in 60 hours of riding. lack if vibration due to the counterbalance was the biggest plus. much nicer on the road. gasgas is lacking in aftermarket support compared to ktm and beta. i found the husky felt better than the beta but thats personal preference. hard to go wrong with any of them. try them all first if you can as no amount of reading will tell you if you will like it

He wants to be able to plate his bike (2 stroke), many areas do not allow you to plate a KTM anymore. Believe that's why he later dropped KTM as an option. Was similar for me also found a good Beta dealer less than an hour away, this makes a huge difference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Australasian Dirt Bike magazine picked the EC300 king of the 300's. Just throwing that out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Did they mention anything about estart?

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23032

I have one of the early 18's that had the e-start problem and it has been resolved free of charge. It now starts just as well as my Beta. I'm sure that's not what a fanboy wants to hear but it's just the way it is.  

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1, first couple of shipments last year had issues and Gas Gas fixed them for current stock. Gas Gas issued a service bulletin regarding this fix and should be done at prep. Now IF your dealer isn't good you may have starter issues with old stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you share technical details regarding the problem and its fixes because I have an orange deja vu situation.... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In short the starter engages but no spin, disengages or not engages from ground not making a good circuit. Replace with larger gauge or add in another ground to the system fixes this. Again this is a short explanation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hammer41 said:

I have one of the early 18's that had the e-start problem and it has been resolved free of charge. It now starts just as well as my Beta. I'm sure that's not what a fanboy wants to hear but it's just the way it is.  

 

 

 

 

 

It’s the same faulty design as what KTM had for 8 years and changed.  Gasgas doesn’t have the design of ktm 4 strokes and now current 2 strokes and Sherco and Beta . It’s not fanboy. It’s just looking at what works and what doesn’t. Expect more problems. That’s just the way it is. There’s a reason I didn’t buy KTM and gasgas. That design estart is one of them. Why would I buy a new bike that has a long history of estart problems with the same old design that has failed before? Would you buy a new 2016 ktm 300? Same thing right? All the 16’ ktm 300 estart worked fine till they broke. That’s just how it is.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

Can you share technical details regarding the problem and its fixes because I have an orange deja vu situation.... 

Try scrolling through here... got a variety of estart ktm vids. Plus there’s that link I posted from the gasgasriders thread earlier here.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Am I reading wonderful things or what? 

From what I am reading in the sticky, problem is not exactly solved. 

Another fact is that until now the problem is current drainage. Still the starters on the bikes have not worked enough to see if new problems related to the bend will surface. 

This bike's design and reliability, it's just cannot be compared to Beta original design. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weantright said:

In short the starter engages but no spin, disengages or not engages from ground not making a good circuit. Replace with larger gauge or add in another ground to the system fixes this. Again this is a short explanation.

The bikes turn over fine they just won't start. I put my spark tester on and no spark when cranking on E start. New rotor and pcm and it works fine.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

It’s the same faulty design as what KTM had for 8 years and changed.  Gasgas doesn’t have the design of ktm 4 strokes and now current 2 strokes and Sherco and Beta . It’s not fanboy. It’s just looking at what works and what doesn’t. Expect more problems. That’s just the way it is. There’s a reason I didn’t buy KTM and gasgas. That design estart is one of them. Why would I buy a new bike that has a long history of estart problems with the same old design that has failed before? Would you buy a new 2016 ktm 300? Same thing right? All the 16’ ktm 300 estart worked fine till they broke. That’s just how it is.

I have a 2011 EC 250 estart. I would bet it has more hours on it than you have on all the bikes you have owned together and it has never not started on the e start. You really are the BRO science of dirt bikes. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dirtbird said:

Can you share technical details regarding the problem and its fixes because I have an orange deja vu situation.... 

 

Pic of new vs old rotor. 

30051760_2167097486853616_1282204231614490983_o.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×