Posted (edited)

Currently, I have a crf150f and I like it but I am looking for more power and more of a race bike. I am deciding on either getting a crf150r or cr250r. I am 15, 180 pounds, and 5 ft 10. I am wanting a 4 stroke- used bike.  please leave your feedback on what bike I should get, greatly appreciated. 

Edited by dawson14

Posted (edited)

At 180lbs and 5'10", you are already too big & tall for a big wheeled 'mini' (CRF150RB, KX100) with 19"/16" wheels.

Edited by mlatour

1 minute ago, mlatour said:

At 5'10", you are already too tall for a big wheeled 'mini' (CRF150RB, KX100) with 19"/16" wheels.

Okay so your saying go with the 250? Thanks for the feedback

Posted (edited)

It would depend on your skill level and riding experience, going from 12HP or so to 35+HP is a big step.

But physically, your size makes you fit a full-sized bike.

Maybe a 2-stroke 125 could also be an option, especially if buying used and/or with a limited budget.

Apart from your trail riding, what type of racing to you plan on trying?

If some form of off-road/enduro, perhaps consider other options than an MX race bike.

Edited by mlatour

2 minutes ago, mlatour said:

It would depend on your skill level and riding experience, going from 12HP or so to 35+HP is a big step.

Maybe a 2-stroke 125 could also be an option, especially if buying used and/or with a limited budget.

If some form of off-road/enduro, perhaps consider other options than an MX race bike.

I am going to be doing off road/ cross county racing, what other bike would you suggest for me?

3 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Posted (edited)

Guessing you are on a limited budget (not buying new)

if you prefer 4-strokes : Honda CRF250X, Yamaha WR250F 

2-strokes : KTM150, KTM200, Kawasaki KDX

2-stroke bikes preferable due to lower repair cost and mechanical simplicity.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Just now, mlatour said:

Guessing you are on a limited budget (not buying new)

if you prefer 4-strokes : Honda CRF250X, Yamaha WR250F 

2-strokes : KTM150, KTM200, Kawasaki KDX

Okay thanks, ya I’m looking for 4 stroke and wanting something used 

Posted (edited)

You have to be careful with any used bike purchase but a used performance oriented 250 4-stroke even more so,

luckily most CRF-X and WR-F never see hard use or, any hard charging MX style riding but,

their engines are still based on high strung MX race bikes.

Maintenance wise, they are not in the same league as your pretty much bulletproof CRF150F trail bike but

unfortunately some owners treat them like so by neglecting regular oil/filter, air filter, valve adjustments etc. 

(apart from a piston and rings, refurbishing a top end also includes cam chain, tensionner, new valves, machine work etc.) 

it all end up quite costly when pushed too far whereas a mild trail bike could run forever with minimal care.

Not saying every used 4T is a ticking time bomb but it is certainly a bigger gamble than buying a 2-stroke

but with a limited budget (initial purchase + eventual repairs) it should be your main consideration.

Edited by mlatour

5 hours ago, dawson14 said:

Okay thanks, ya I’m looking for 4 stroke and wanting something used 

Did you want electric start as well ?

44 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Did you want electric start as well ?

I was actually looking for kickstart because I have electric start now and I am tired of having to find a hill and bump staring it when the battery goes empty 

Posted (edited)

E-start is really handy to have when you stall in an off-camber situations, on hills etc.

Sounds like your CRF150F needed a new battery or it's charging system tested.

Only once in 2 seasons of riding did my CRF-X ever run down the battery, very specific conditions of

a super gnarly slow paced trail ride where the engine never ran long enough to recharge it in between stalls and re-starts.

Battery is still going strong at 3 years old but is always plugged into a smart charger when the bike is not in use.

Edited by mlatour