Buying suggestions for non-titled Craigslist bike

Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance on buying untitled bikes off of CL. I live in AZ and apparently the state requires OHV decals for trail riding which requires a title. I would like to buy a vintage bike that'd be a semi project bike, and it looks like in most cases the titles are nowhere to be found. Is there a safe way to go about buying a bike with no title to ensure it's not hot and then subsequently get it titled? I was reading somewhere Vermont has easy title laws to the point where you can get a VT title through the mail, and then use that as a means of getting it title locally. 

That really gets interesting if it doesn't have a 17 digit. VIN number. Here in NM I can get a mail order sticker from Texas that satisfies the law. But if the VIN isn't right there's no way to get a title, since the mvd system won't let them issue one.

On 4/7/2018 at 7:05 PM, targetdrone said:

Arizona offer a a bonded title option. Expensive and a PITA. Easier to title it in California with a Bill of Sale and a Statement of Facts.  I've used this option at least 4 times since Nevada has no such mechanism in place.

How does the California deal work if you live in Nevada?  I'm in the same boat, living in Las Vegas. Looking at a good deal on a dirt bike, but no title, and I want to eventually plate it.

5 hours ago, ftl900 said:

How does the California deal work if you live in Nevada?  I'm in the same boat, living in Las Vegas. Looking at a good deal on a dirt bike, but no title, and I want to eventually plate it.

I was born and raised in Riverside, and still have family there. My brother uses my address for some of his watercraft and I've used his for a couple of bikes. 

CA DMV will probably require a hand written statement of Facts from you AND the person you got the bike from. E.g.. I Joe Blow bought X bike and never titled it in my name as Nevada does not require it for off-road vehicles. I cannot find the title I received at time of purchase. I sold the bike to John Smith with only a Bill of Sale. 

They may have to send a certified letter to the last owner on file. FWIW, the Needles DMV is not busy but Barstow's is a nightmare.  The CHP office is down the street from DMV in Needles in case you need a VIN inspection (and you probably will).

Edited by targetdrone
Autocorrect sucks

• 2 weeks later...