cjjeepercreeper

newmexico To Farmington, NM area dirt bikers re The Glade

The Glade Run Recreation Area, aka Chokecherry Canyon is a popular network of trails for dirt bikes and mountain bikes.   There is a bunch of world class single track that is mostly designated for both kinds of 2 wheel vehicles.  We ride there fairly often, but hadn't been there in probably about 5 or 6 weeks.  My son and I went for a nice 25 mile loop this past Sunday and we were appalled at the condition of some of the trails.  Trails that are signed mountain bike or dirt bike, not gated, have been blown out by SxSs and quads to the point that in some parts they are like a highway, these were formerly, that is recently, single track.  It is becoming a mess.

The next day I called the BLM and talked to one of the BLM Rangers.  He said he is well aware of the problem, in fact a friend of mine that was out there the same day ran into him and he was trying to chase down a couple of SxSs that had been tearing single track up.  But here's where I want your attention.  He also said the real big problem he is having is dirt bikers cutting new illegal single track.:banghead:  If we want to keep our access to this wonderful area we better start not only policing the idiots on 4 wheel vehicles, we need to police ourselves.  If anyone here knows anyone that is tearing single track up on a SxS or quad, please report them.  AND, if you know any dirt bikers that are illegally cutting trails, please report them also.  We are going to lose a lot of that area if we don't start acting responsibly.  Administration has been historically very sympathetic to the mountain bike crowd, not us.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

Well, that meeting that TGP and I went to last night presented a few interesting things.  It is a joint effort with the county, city of Farmington and the BLM among others.  Sounds like the bottom line here is attracting tourism, the economy here has sort of sucked since gas and oil aren't booming like they used to.  They are trying to use Moab as sort of a model.  Something that they presented right off the bat is they want to start mapping every trail in the county using a free app they want you to download.  TGP and I at that point looked at each other with the same thought in mind, and afterwards we also discussed it with Allen Christy, the President of San Juan Trail Riders club.  We have hundreds of miles of unmapped single track, a lot of it in the hills and canyons south of the old MX track.  We all have been riding that stuff a long time, and it is kind of on a need to know basis.  If we map it, then probably they will come.  Do we want that?  Consensus was probably not, with an emphasis on the not part.  They want to eventually sign everything and put out maps and brochures.  Probably not a good thing from our perspective.  They cautioned everyone to not mislabel trails, like labeling a single track an ATV trail.  And a sign of things to come was the owner of a local bicycle shop pretty much talking about how he hates motorized, because it scares the kids blah blah.  The one thing that pretty much everyone had a consensus on is something I brought up, the need for education.  But, we have more than our share of yahoo rednecks here who will down some beers, get in their truck or SxS and tear crap up no matter what you tell them.

We have our work cut out for us.  Next meeting 4/26.

• Helpful 1

Folks, this is the sort of organizing we are up against in the radical anti ohv crowd. We better get our shit together.

FullSizeR.thumb.jpg.67fcc1d584183b3c1aa8f28229eb8b5a.jpg

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1

We recently went through some meetings with the BLM. They were all real nice and asked us to draw any trails they didn't know about on their maps so they could be properly signed etc.. When the final map came out they plan to close every trail that was drawn in plus most of the others.. Be careful what you give them. Hard to trust them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ehall said:

We recently went through some meetings with the BLM. They were all real nice and asked us to draw any trails they didn't know about on their maps so they could be properly signed etc.. When the final map came out they plan to close every trail that was drawn in plus most of the others.. Be careful what you give them. Hard to trust them.

My bunch has already decided they aren't getting anything from us.  Hundreds of miles of st would be endangered.  I spend at least one day every weekend on those trails.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, ehall said:

Whoa! They coaxed people into documenting all the trails in your area only to close them? That's &%$#@!ed up.

• Like 1

20-25yrs ago most people in this country didn’t have access to legal MTBing and they had to travel, but there’s awesome trails and parks everywhere these day. Who’s going travel to go bike in heat that resembles the surface of sun in a methane bubble that NASA claims to have photographed from space? My guess would be broke dicks living out of there wagon on beans, rice, and PBR. Total scam!! I used to Jeep down at ChokeCherry in the 90s and it was an amazing area but the litter of bullets glass mattresses refrigerators and cars was equal to none I’ve ever seen, went back last year and it was ALL GONE. I’m guessing it was not the MTB crowd that cleaned the place up.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, uncle.gibbons said:

Whoa! They coaxed people into documenting all the trails in your area only to close them? That's &%$#@!ed up.

That is exactly what they did.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, cjjeepercreeper said:

My bunch has already decided they aren't getting anything from us.  Hundreds of miles of st would be endangered.  I spend at least one day every weekend on those trails.

I just came across this post, and realize it is a little old.. but i'm from the farmington area as well, and i am interested in this topic. Are there any more meetings happening in the near future that you are aware of? Any other anti-moto BS that you have seen? i have a few contacts at the local BLM office that could be helpful in pleading our case to if need be.. We need to make a case for Motocross, Desert riding, and all other motorized sports or we will be left out of the development plans..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, honda34 said:

I just came across this post, and realize it is a little old.. but i'm from the farmington area as well, and i am interested in this topic. Are there any more meetings happening in the near future that you are aware of? Any other anti-moto BS that you have seen? i have a few contacts at the local BLM office that could be helpful in pleading our case to if need be.. We need to make a case for Motocross, Desert riding, and all other motorized sports or we will be left out of the development plans..

Well... the Aztec MX track has reopened, 1st race is coming up.  The Dunes (while feared by some people) is still being utilized for Hare Scrambles by Some organizations and tends to be where they want to bottle up the off-road racing... I’m personally okay with that as I grew up riding there. I’m all for keeping racing off some of the other areas west of Town, leave that for trail-riding/pure recreation. 

They had a Farmington meeting a few weeks ago but I was out of town, @cjjeepercreeper Had mentioned going. They had2 seperate meetings planned...non-motorized and motorized users....the County Manager and Farmington City mayor that are spearheading this thing are complete idiots when it comes to anything that doesn't deal with stick & ball or earth nugget past times. The only thing they are focused on are getting gross reciepts taxes up and charging user fees at Farmingyon lake....to access trails that join BLM and fon’t require user fees.

• Like 1

Update on the situation in the Glade.

There is a new wrinkle now. The rancher that has grazing rights seems to think it's his private ranch. He has been fencing off trailheads with barbed wire and is harassing oil field workers screaming at them telling them to get off "his" ranch. It's not his ranch, he just has grazing rights. Be careful, I wouldn't put it past him to start setting booby traps at this point.

Montoya Sheep and Cattle Company. Stella had been a pain in the ass for 50 years, her son Anthony has continued the family tradition of harassing anyone and everyone in La Plata, now that San juan county is making noise about increasing access they’re staring another  round.  I’ve been threatened by her and her boys before and she was at war with the rest of the familes that lived anywhere in La Plata, I wouldn’t expect a lot of backup from bLm or SJC SO, other than a “please don’t do that” warning...their cuz is the poster girl supervisor at SO 🙄 

11 minutes ago, TeamGreenPilot said:

Montoya Sheep and Cattle Company. Stella had been a pain in the ass for 50 years, her son Anthony has continued the family tradition of harassing anyone and everyone in La Plata, now that San juan county is making noise about increasing access they’re staring another  round.  I’ve been threatened by her and her boys before and she was at war with the rest of the familes that lived anywhere in La Plata, I wouldn’t expect a lot of backup from bLm or SJC SO, other than a “please don’t do that” warning...their cuz is the poster girl supervisor at SO 🙄 

:facepalm:  I didn't make the connection there.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1