Stubborn vintage yz250 , help me!

,95. Yz250,  has always been little bit hard to start. But sometimes first kick.  It won't idle much, and I've only had it for little while, so I adjusted pilot a little to help the idle, 1/2 turn in, and it smoked too much soon as I rode it, so I put it back the other way, and it ran fine, but still have to gun it. 3 days later, put my normal stuff on, choke etc.   Long story short, I spent 2 hrs trying everything, today, and it still won't start. Plug is not fouled.  I really didn't make much adjustments to pilot that day.  1/2 turn IN,   then put it back.    But  now never been this...hard, to start.   This bike needs the carb pulled, but any advice ,  on what might be going on?  Thanx

IMG_20180305_111731663.jpg

Could be any one of several things, most likely a clogged pilot jet. Is it getting gas? After kicking it for that long, the plug should be wet (which is all it takes for them to not fire sometimes). Have you tried a new plug? Always something you want to do before going any further. If no help there, take the carburetor apart (and all the jets out), spray everything out thoroughly with spray carb cleaner (don't soak it in Chem Dip or such), making sure the pilot jet has a completely round, correct size hole when you hold it up to the light (D shaped or a tiny pin hole won't work). Check/set your float height before putting it back together. Set that air screw 1.5 turns out to start with, and it should start providing there's not something else wrong.

6 hours ago, Rixter said:

Yeah I'm afraid of that,,,,

First, make sure your air filter is clean and properly oiled. If a carb cleaning is all you need to do, consider yourself lucky. It's not a big deal, especially on your YZ. Make sure all your jets are clear, and set your float level to spec. Lots of youtube videos on how to do this.

5abe414dcefb1_ImageYZ.gif.73f4c0703d11207545586b715080c4a7.gif