Adding a Reciever to an Camping Trailer

Posted (edited)

Hey guys thought I'd ask this question here after just about getting laughed out of an RV forum for posting the same question. I just put down a deposit on a 24 foot Tracer Bumper pull trailer. I'd like to add a reciever to the rear of the trailer and be able to use a hitch hauler to haul my dirt bike.

Like I said, I was just about laughed out of the RV forum, they said I'd be bending the frame and causing all kinds of issues. That doesn't really seem to make sense to me as I've seen lots of people add recievers and put all kinds of cargo on them to these things. Have any of you done this?  I

Of course I'd want to attach directly to the frame and not the bumper. Pic to show you what trailer I'm talking about. 

https://www.americanriverrv.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3923562&p=1&s=Year&d=D&brand=tracer&fr=xnewinventory#unit-speifications-heading

Edited by KTMRider4Life

Wouldn’t the receiver be on the tow vehicle, not the trailer? :excuseme: 

The frames on those type of trailers are pretty minimal. Expect to weld on some reinforcement before adding the receiver hitch. And even then, your tongue weight will drop significantly depending on where your axles are located and may make pulling at speed a mess. It can be done, but it’s probably not just a quick bolt on procedure to be done right

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Watch the tongue weight. 

Edited by greenguy500
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Hey guys thought I'd ask this question here after just about getting laughed out of an RV forum for posting the same question. I just put down a deposit on a 24 foot Tracer Bumper pull trailer. I'd like to add a reciever to the rear of the trailer and be able to use a hitch hauler to haul my dirt bike.

Like I said, I was just about laughed out of the RV forum, they said I'd be bending the frame and causing all kinds of issues. That doesn't really seem to make sense to me as I've seen lots of people add recievers and put all kinds of cargo on them to these things. Have any of you done this?  I

Of course I'd want to attach directly to the frame and not the bumper. Pic to show you what trailer I'm talking about. 

https://www.americanriverrv.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=3923562&p=1&s=Year&d=D&brand=tracer&fr=xnewinventory#unit-speifications-heading

I've seen it done a lot also. I see 2 issues, having a negative tongue weight on the tow vehicle, and the strength of the trailer frame. I'd suggest talking to the trailer's seller or manufacturer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rascal420 said:

Wouldn’t the receiver be on the tow vehicle, not the trailer? :excuseme: 

Yes the trailer would be recieving the hitch for the dirt bike hauler 

Heck they triple haul trailers in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah.

Pretty sure your rig can handle 250lbs in the back if you attach to the frame, and load accordingly. It's pretty good size rig. Kinda like having a lot of beer in the back :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

Heck they triple haul trailers in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah.

Pretty sure your rig can handle 250lbs in the back if you attach to the frame, and load accordingly. It's pretty good size rig. Kinda like having a lot of beer in the back :)

I can triple haul in Ca too, amazing that's not illegal here, libs must not have a clue it's legal... Maybe that's what I should do to be on the safe side. Attach onto the frame and then just tow the dirt bike trailer. 

Edited by KTMRider4Life
  • Like 1

In Michigan the TT must be a fifth wheel. Operator needs a special "R" endorsement on license. And total over all lenght is restricted.
There are some states that you can't pass through with this set up.

Have a buddy that did this. He added steel to the frame to stiffen things up, then changed the idea of the single receiver to two of them, spread out so the bike did not rock. Works well, and not a light bike either, 450XC-W.

With weight to the rear of his camper though, it wanted to sway, he went with two sway controls, cranked down then backed off 1/2 turn.
  • Like 2

Have a buddy that did this. He added steel to the frame to stiffen things up, then changed the idea of the single receiver to two of them, spread out so the bike did not rock. Works well, and not a light bike either, 450XC-W.

With weight to the rear of his camper though, it wanted to sway, he went with two sway controls, cranked down then backed off 1/2 turn.
I missed OP wanted to use hitch hauler not tow a second trailer.. Got caught up with other replies.

I own a trailer and hitch shop and we install quite a few of these.  Curt makes adjustable RV hitches that can be bolted or welded on the frame and they're plenty strong to carry a bike.  http://curtmfg.com/part/13703

When I was using a fifth wheel I made my own though with two receivers bolted to the frame and extending out to the bumper and then took a ramp and bolted two 2 x 2 square tubes to it to go into the receivers.  This way there was no rock and it was super solid.

haywardride016.jpg

• Like 7

I own a trailer and hitch shop and we install quite a few of these.  Curt makes adjustable RV hitches that can be bolted or welded on the frame and they're plenty strong to carry a bike.  http://curtmfg.com/part/13703
When I was using a fifth wheel I made my own though with two receivers bolted to the frame and extending out to the bumper and then took a ramp and bolted two 2 x 2 square tubes to it to go into the receivers.  This way there was no rock and it was super solid.
haywardride016.jpg

Exactly

You have quite a bit of overhang and you will definitely get tail-wag with the bike on the back. Too much leverage.

A fifth wheel has A LOT more pin weight and it is very doable on most of them.

You will change the hitch weight too much most likely.

I tried it with my small hybrid trailer- way too much wag even when shifting the storage weight forward.

I had a long enough tongue so I moved the spare tire to the rear, slid the propane bottles forward and added a rail to the front. I used the rear receivers I installed for a hitch rack to counterbalance the weight and get just the amount of tongue weight I was going for- about 430. (trailer was about 3500 loaded).

Now my trailer had a box frame for the full length or I would not have even attempted it.

If you have a long enough tongue put it on the front.

IMG_9196.JPG

IMG_9198.JPG

rzr-25.JPG

• Like 8

I add a 2" receiver to the frames i build for the little teardrop trailers i have built. Meant more for pedal bikes as opposed to motored. Like Dezracer pointed out, be aware of the weight transfer loading something heavy to the rear of your trailer.

DSCN3603.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Make sure you have enough frame back there, then take it to the scales empty, weigh the tandems and the tongue at the ball socket and figure out what hanging a bike back there is actually going to do.

Edited by Studhaeuser
  • Like 1

Squidward, I have one on my '04 Carson toyhauler.  It was factory installed by them.  I don't think they even listed it as one of their options, but I asked about it and they put it in when we bought the trailer.  It was welded on and is plenty sturdy.  I have not put a motorcycle on it, the purpose for us was to have a running generator on the back to power a deep freezer while we traveled in baja.  Not sure if you can find a bolt on kit that would fit, but a competent welder can hook you up.

• Like 1

We went to extreme ... added a deck to the front that holds 4 bikes.  Added storage boxes to the back ... and a 2 bike hauler behind that.  We added a truss to the existing frame.  In the far back we added a receiver tube on each side so we could slide 2" rails in and out to hold the custom bike rack.  Sides on front deck come off as ramps.  Hauls 6 bikes and sleeps 6.

Modifying the frame will void any warranty but if you beef up the frame a bit it shouldn't be a problem to add a bike.  You certainly need to consider your hitch weight though so plan on weighing that and make sure you'll end up with enough on the front to prevent swaying.  We only had a bout 100 pounds hitch weight unloaded which is risky.  But with bikes on the front deck and 2 on the back we had more over 300 ... and it towed nicely. 

CIMG1549.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

• Like 4

We pull a 19 foot boat behind are 27 foot fifth wheel. Make sure you've added enough bracing the frame on the rear of the trailer and that you account for the loss of tongue weight in the front by moving some weight up front and send it.
  • Like 2