74xl

1974 honda XL 350 running lights

Hey guys, been a frustrating day here and i do apologize if I'm posting in the wrong area. I'm more of a lurker to the point that i had to make a new account to even post here at all.

My 74 honda xl350 blinkers and running lights don't work. Got a new battery and had it charged, checked all bulbs to be not blown and correct 6 volts, checked the one fuse this bike has and cleaned all the grounds i can find, can't find the frame ground anywhere, took apart and cleaned the blinker switch (also getting no power) verified that no blinkers/running lights are getting any power, and I'm losing my damn mind trying to figure this out. The only function I DO have is the high beam (indicator also not working, low beam burnt out) and the brake/aft running light. 

Any suggestions? I have a manual and I've been staring at a wiring diagram all day and I'm more confused than ever. 

20180331_154510.jpg

Got my blinkers to work, had to find a generic 6v flasher unit from my local parts store and it worked! I still don't have any constant running lights besides the taillight, are the side markers supposed to stay lit up when not functioning as a turn signal on a bike this old?

Really? Does no one know or did i break some rule and piss everyone off?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 4:34 AM, 74xl said:

are the side markers supposed to stay lit up when not functioning as a turn signal on a bike this old?

no - did you check all your earth / ground connections ?

No running lights on a 74,if you have h/l,t/l,brake ant tail and blinkers..a few instrument Iights that's about it

• Like 1

Oh cool, sounds like I got it all good then! Thank you both for clearing that up for me. 

On 4/5/2018 at 10:40 PM, 74xl said:

Oh cool, sounds like I got it all good then! Thank you both for clearing that up for me. 

Im having trouble as well, I have neutral light and all turn signals working. The low beam and and tail light does not work, I dont understand. The bulbs and battery is new.  

High beam works though....

??

Have you checked for power to you low beam and tail light connector? If there's power to the connectors, check bulbs. If there isn't power, work backwards until you find power.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:36 PM, delormea397 said:

Have you checked for power to you low beam and tail light connector? If there's power to the connectors, check bulbs. If there isn't power, work backwards until you find power.

I fixed the tail light by adding foil to the bulb, creating a ground. But I need to have it switch off and on. The brake switch has current and works at 5.6v. The brake light is on high when high beams are on. Also the front brake lever will not activate the brake light as well. 

I appreciate all the responses and help!

GBTXl350;  You did not list the year of your XL350.  I'll assume it's a '74-'75.  The horn, brake light, taillight, instrument lights and turn signals work off the battery. The head light beams work off the stator only when the engine is running.  The head light is turned on and beams switched with the switch on the throttle side (right side) of the handle bars.

If the head light hi beam and brake light work without the engine, then the wires are connected incorrectly in the headlight bucket.  The high beam and the high beam indicator light are connected to blue wires.  The low beam is a white wire and also connects to a large cylindrical resistor mounted just outside of the headlight bucket. The brake light wires are green with a yellow stripe.  There should be a wire of this color coming from the right handlebar switch and it is coupled with the same colored wire from the main wiring harness in the headlight bucket.  The same wire color comes from the rear brake light switch (above the rear brake pedal ) and connects to wires of the same colors ( the other wire is black and is hot when the key is turned on) that come out of the wiring harness  above the wiring coupler that connects the wires from the motor to the harness. This is just above the rear of the motor strapped to the large diameter frame tube.

Do both brake light switches work (simply check for continuity when activated)?  They both can have problems with corrosion but can be carefully taken apart and have their contacts cleaned.

Are all the bulbs good? The fuse must be OK or some of your lights wouldn't work.  If you get time and have the skill; change the fuse holder to a water proof blade type with a10 amp fuse.

74xl

These machine did not have running lights.  If they did you would find that the signal bulbs would be dual element bulbs and there would be an additional wire going to these lights.

All of the above information is shown hidden in the Honda shop manual wiring diagram.