AXP Skid Plate install on 2018 TX300

13 hours ago, Dave A said:

I installed one on my 2018 TX300. It was a bit of a pain but I flexed the linkage piece a few times to try and loosen it up a bit before trying to hook the plate to the frame. I was able to get it on but it took a lot of muscle to get it to go. It will go on but you just have to use a lot of force. The good thing is that you won't have to worry about it falling off. It works extremely well and I'm very happy with it.

Regards,

Dave

I'm glad you got it on, but dang it shouldn't take so much "muscle" to get these on.  That's what fasteners and tools are for.....  Design could have been better as far as installation goes IMO....

Edited by Fullthrottle1st

few tips for those fitting this skid plate (especially the ones with the linkage guard)

use a superbike style paddock stand or even borrow some one for 5 minutes to sit on the bike. this changes the position of the linkage and makes life way easier.

slacken all the underside bolts to only 1 thread on the 4 front underside ones.

rear 2 i used some counter sunk bolts that were 5mm longer than standard. 

i also used some thin rubber where the plate rubs against the frame. i glued these in place first.

before tightening the rear ones, fit the front bolts. tighten each side a bit at a time.

18 hours ago, sandking11 said:

few tips for those fitting this skid plate (especially the ones with the linkage guard)

use a superbike style paddock stand or even borrow some one for 5 minutes to sit on the bike. this changes the position of the linkage and makes life way easier.

slacken all the underside bolts to only 1 thread on the 4 front underside ones.

rear 2 i used some counter sunk bolts that were 5mm longer than standard. 

i also used some thin rubber where the plate rubs against the frame. i glued these in place first.

before tightening the rear ones, fit the front bolts. tighten each side a bit at a time.

Thanks for the info.  Will use if I ever decide to mess with it again.

On 5/19/2018 at 3:37 PM, Leo Vereen said:

Was looking at this for a te 250 but dont know now if its that bad.

I had no problem installing this, not sure what all the hype is about but I just don’t recall it being that difficult. It protects really well too.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I see alot of these skid plates being purchased and I just did the install on my 2018 TE300. It is a bit of a wrestle but the trick is to leave the rear bolts of the frame hook pieces loose. Then pre-bend the linkage guard a bit using your foot against the floor. Tip the plate at an angle and push the frame hooks onto the frame (helps to have someone hold the bike)

After they click on, install the front bolts, then tighten the two rear frame hook bolts. Easy to do on the left side, but on the right side you need a small open end 10mm and come at the nylock from the back of the bike. 

Hope this helps, good luck.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, Dave A said:

I installed one on my 2018 TX300. It was a bit of a pain but I flexed the linkage piece a few times to try and loosen it up a bit before trying to hook the plate to the frame. I was able to get it on but it took a lot of muscle to get it to go. It will go on but you just have to use a lot of force. The good thing is that you won't have to worry about it falling off. It works extremely well and I'm very happy with it.

Regards,

Dave

I have a 2018 tx with an extreme Skid with the beaver tail, Its actually pretty easy once the the linkage retracts upward. Get someone to sit on the bike and you're clear to slide the frame hook up and over the frame. You can do it by yourself by leaning on the back of the bike till the link retracts and snug up a tie strap under the swingarm and over the seat. Slide Skid on and go grind! 

Edited by 2dirt
Spelling

Very easy if you remove the extra block that protects the linkage. loosen the 6 bolts that hold the rear hooks on and slip it over the frame.  After mounting the front two bolts reinstall the extra block and tighten the six bolts with an open end wrench.  They can easily be reached from the side of the engine.  Takes me 5 minutes to reinstall now using this method.