Suspension (if it were your money..)

Bike:

2006 WR250F

Problem:

Soft Suspension

Question:

Would you buy a set of SSS forks (2006-2008 YZ250/450/F) and rebuild them to spec OR would you just re-spring and ride it?  If you would re-spring where would you get your springs from (race tech?).  I am a big guy but like a plush initial stroke with good bottoming characteristics.  My thought was to get the better forks, rebuild and install.  My fork legs do have some scratches but for now it isn't an issue and isn't wearing out my fork seals too fast. 

How I ride:

Woods, some racing, X training, etc.  This bike will be a keeper and be used as a buddy bike.  It is super minty and in great condition. 

I would vote to keep your current components and build to spec with internals + heavier springs rather than SSS.  I had installed a Phase 4 kit from Smart Performance in my 07 and the results were really good. 

Springs-  Race Tech, Factory Connection, etc all make good components.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, BazookaJoe said:

I would vote to keep your current components and build to spec with internals + heavier springs rather than SSS.  I had installed a Phase 4 kit from Smart Performance in my 07 and the results were really good. 

Springs-  Race Tech, Factory Connection, etc all make good components.

What was the cost of the Phase 4 kit? 

Thanks!

Money no object the SSS is a superior fork.  But it would still need to be valved and sprung for your riding style.  It is not a bolt on and go mod if you want to get the best results.

A set of progressive springs, and a shop revalve your existing suspension for your weight and riding style. Not buying another whole unit. 

I’d just forget about those forks. I’ll help you out and give you $100 to get them out of the way 😄. I’m another vote for the Phase 4 from SPI. Between myself and friends we have done 6 sets of forks from Dave so far. Pretty much the gamut of styles too. KYB 46 oc, 2 sets of KYB 48 oc that you have, SSS and AER. I can’t remember cost for Phase 4. I’ll look tomorrow and see if I can find an invoice. One piece of advice is don’t tear yours apart until you have the parts from him. I’ve had stuff in a week and I’ve had stuff take a few weeks. This is a well known issue but not really a show stopper for me. Just plan ahead a little. He has always been very nice and easy to talk to and we’ve all been very happy with his setups. I’ve only made a valving change to one of his setups so he seems to hit it pretty good. You’ll need springs too but that base valve is a big contributor to the excessive dive / soft feel so you need to fix that too. Clay

Likely not experimented much but in the YZ125 service manual (2010)

Yamaha lists optional straight rate Titanium and steel shock springs (referred to a equal pitch)

and also 'un-equal' pitch (progessive rate) steel springs.

I think the Race Tech Suspension Bible mentions progressive forks springs are sometimes uses in street bikes. (heavy customs)

Edited by mlatour

Other than PDS I think the consensus is that progressive springs are generally a fail in the dirt bike arena. I like the Smart Performance/Race Tech do it yourself idea with straight rate springs. 

Edited by ring ding ding
  • Like 1