Recommended AER fork parts service intervals?

1 hour ago, karlace said:

I use products that I feel are best, not always genuine

That's exactly my point, and I'm sure every pro tuner feels exactly the same way. The difference is, they have actually used and tested Slickoleum where you are not familiar with the substance. I mean this with no disrespect as you seem to be a reputable tuner yourself, but without having tested Slickoleum you are not in a position to conclude whether the WP recommended grease is better than Slickoleum or not.

With that said, I certainly make no claim it's better than Centoplex. All I know is I have one set of forks with 25-30 hours on Slickoleum and the forks were stored in my garage here in Park City where temps in the winter get below -20 degrees and the fork seal survived as is working well. The quad seal failed twice after being exposed to below freezing temps.

Sorry I'm a little confused ,you say the fork is working well but then state the quad ring has failed twice ?

3 minutes ago, mog said:

Sorry I'm a little confused ,you say the fork is working well but then state the quad ring has failed twice ?

Negative, I had two AER failures with the old quad seals using with OEM grease. Since moving to the 2018 lip seal and Slickoleum I've had no issues. The 2018 seal certainly seems to be superior and withstood very cold temps. On one of the previous failures with the quad seal, it was a never used brand new set that was stored in cold temps. The seal failed before it was ever ridden.

I doubt you'll catch me contradicting myself ;-) Truth to power

2 hours ago, tk2stroke said:

That's exactly my point, and I'm sure every pro tuner feels exactly the same way. The difference is, they have actually used and tested Slickoleum where you are not familiar with the substance. I mean this with no disrespect as you seem to be a reputable tuner yourself, but without having tested Slickoleum you are not in a position to conclude whether the WP recommended grease is better than Slickoleum or not.

With that said, I certainly make no claim it's better than Centoplex. All I know is I have one set of forks with 25-30 hours on Slickoleum and the forks were stored in my garage here in Park City where temps in the winter get below -20 degrees and the fork seal survived as is working well. The quad seal failed twice after being exposed to below freezing temps.

What I'm saying is, I don't know if your grease has the right property's for the job, not that it's shit, I know what u need from a grease to work, and I was saying, because ur grease is slippery to the feel, it doesn't mean it's a good lubricant in all situations. 

• Like 1

I'm with you now , interesting stuff ,the 18 does seem better but like all forks ,some failures will happen no matter what

I took my 17 apart at 40 hours and the grease was nice and hardly discoloured ,if I was to do that again I would go to 50 hours for my type of riding

Ideally I agree, why take any additional risk. However, I could envision many DYI hacks that will be just as safe
Yes absolutely,I think anything soft that protects the seal is a good idea
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mog said:

I'm with you now , interesting stuff ,the 18 does seem better but like all forks ,some failures will happen no matter what

I took my 17 apart at 40 hours and the grease was nice and hardly discoloured ,if I was to do that again I would go to 50 hours for my type of riding

Have you heard of any 18 lip seal failures yet?

I haven't seen any in real life yet, nor have I heard of any online.

When I disassembled my air chamber last week, I cleaned the inner chamber before remembering doing a "feel test" to see if the walls of the chamber still felt slick or dry. It probably would be somewhat telling if you could do the same test with Centoplex versus Slickoleum to see if there is any difference in feel. It's a very unscientific test, but it could be informative. After 25-20 hours the Slickoleum wasn't discolored either, but I wouldn't say it looked like a fresh application.

I've heard of rumours of seal head failures at 20 hours ,but not any more than rumours

13 hours ago, tk2stroke said:

707 suspension shows a Motorex grease in one of their videos, but when they are lubricating the air seal they are using the smaller container, does anyone know what it is?

I can just make out the part number on the Motorex grease.  It is 300743, which is their old grease.  This is good for most applications, but not the air seal.

The new lithium EP grease is 300734.  This grease has only just been released, so wouldnt have been available when 707 produced their video.  I have no idea what grease they used for the air piston seal in their video.

8 hours ago, dwb79 said:

I can just make out the part number on the Motorex grease.  It is 300743, which is their old grease.  This is good for most applications, but not the air seal.

The new lithium EP grease is 300734.  This grease has only just been released, so wouldnt have been available when 707 produced their video.  I have no idea what grease they used for the air piston seal in their video.

Do you know where it can be purchased? I tried finding it online, but nothing exact comes up with this 300734 number.

You're right about the old grease too, it did not appear that 707 was using Motorex grease on the air seal

1 minute ago, tk2stroke said:

Do you know where it can be purchased? I tried finding it online, but nothing exact comes up with this 300734 number.

My Motorex rep told me about it on his last visit.  I ordered it and have it in front of me now, but am yet to use it.

Any motorbike shop that deals in Motorex should be able to supply it, although it wont be in their catalogue, so you'll need to get your local guy to call their Motorex distributor.

Edit: Now that I look into it, it might only be new to the motorcycle division, as it apprears it may have come from the automotive side of the company. Its also called FETT 190 EP.

https://www.motorex.com/en-us/car-line/grease/fett-190-ep/

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, dwb79 said:

My Motorex rep told me about it on his last visit.  I ordered it and have it in front of me now, but am yet to use it.

Any motorbike shop that deals in Motorex should be able to supply it, although it wont be in their catalogue, so you'll need to get your local guy to call their Motorex distributor.

Edit: Now that I look into it, it might only be new to the motorcycle division, as it apprears it may have come from the automotive side of the company. Its also called FETT 190 EP.

https://www.motorex.com/en-us/car-line/grease/fett-190-ep/

Thanks for the info. This thread has made me wonder whether Slickoleum is the right grease to use, or more importantly my desire to understand why so many tuners are using Slickoleum instead of Centoplex as recommended by WP. It'll be interesting to hear if anyone will try this new Motorex grease, I know I wont be the first person to try ;-)

If it's a ep2 lithium grease I would be surprised if anything bad happened ?

I once mistakenly ran a 2stroke 125 on gearbox oil ,it didn't seize, it ran normally but just smelt horrible

I think its true that the actual WP OEM Grease is not the best. I have heard that the 19 Models will get a different OEM Grease, much more slippery and less friction.

55 minutes ago, Gustl said:

I think its true that the actual WP OEM Grease is not the best. I have heard that the 19 Models will get a different OEM Grease, much more slippery and less friction.

I've heard rumors from tuners with the same concerns about Centoplex and my assumption is many concluded Slickoleum was a step forward.

The 18 bikes not using centoplex, there's another grease manufacturer now, as I emailed one of u on this, already 

It's not to do with the brand being a problem, the new grease has other properties, it's also about price with manufacturers. I have both greased, both are fine to use.

• Like 1

IMG_1256.thumb.JPG.94a095d767ef77256c290d3ac214224d.JPGThat's what I've been using lately, I can give u a wp part number aswell if needed

• Like 3

On 4/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, mog said:

What type of riding do you do? Just trying to get a baseline. FC recommended service at 15 hrs but I think that would probably a little over zealous for a full service. I'm thinking 25-30 hrs is a little more appropriate for my application.