What should i use to clean my air filter

27 views no replies. I’ll help you out dude. 

In the past I usually used a specific air filleted cleaner and oil combo. I have 3 air filters. After a ride I spray and degrease the used filter, wash and rinse it. Once it’s dry I spray it with the air filter oil and keep it in a large zip lock bag. That way I just rotate filters always have a fresh one ready to go. Lots of good companies out there that make the proper degreasing spray and oils. Again this is what I do. I recently bought a big twin air cleaner kit. Comes in a large bucket. Looking forward to trying that out. 

Hope this helps you out. 

• Like 5

Yeah, filter specific cleaners are the best to use. I used to use diesel or kerosene. Those clean extremely well, but they also eat the glue that hold the filter seams together so after a few washes, you end up with an extremely clean filter with gaping holes at the seams.

• Like 1

hmm....if I try washing my filter in just soap n water or just a Simple Green type product, it still feels a little sticky when it dries...so I give it a quick rinse with mineral spirits too. Maybe, I need to use hot water?
I've been using the Maxima and PJ1 filter sprays.
I also have two filters for every bike...pull the dirty one out...spray a clean one and install it and then clean the dirty filter during my leisure hours.

I have been cleaning my filters for the last 40+ years in gasoline.  Pour some in a pan, clean the filter, then leave the pan outside. By the next day, the gas will have evaporated and you can wipe out the leftover oil and dirt.  I have never had gas eat up a filter or affect the glue.  I usually wait and clean 4 or 5 filters at a time.

• Like 10

Mineral spirit rinse to break down the oil and grease, then I wash with dawn until the water is clear when I squeeze the filter. Never had any problem with it breaking down the adhesives in the air filter. I usually replace the filter outright once or twice a year regardless. 

• Like 3

Purple power degreaser sprayed inside and out, leave to soak for 15 mins, take it to your kitchen skink, put the water hot as you can stand, rinse only from the inside out try using a zig zag pattern to get every part of the filter rinsed.   Then grab some dish soap and drizzle it all over your filter inside and our then with one clean hand inside your filter and one hand on the outside go around and around the filter working the soap in, then rinse with the same technique previously mentioned.

With any signs of deterioration order new filter and throw away the old one

Any method that uses submersion is stupid as duck because dirt and debris will float around and get inside the filter.  End of that story.

I know my method works because I am on the original factory shims on my 09 Honda, and the lash still measures good.

Edited by EnglertRacing
  • Like 2

Get the matching cleaner to go with the oil you want to use (same brand for best results). After cleaning I always put some dish soap In a container and clean again, this gets the remainder of small particles out of the filter. Rinse clean and let dry. I recently started using the no toil red spray oil and cleaner, by far the easiest system to use. The cleaner melts the oil off and there's no harsh chemicals, good protection as well

Something else that works amazingly well and is dirt cheap and environmentally friendly is this stuff:

152664.jpg

I bought some a while back when I was looking for something that would cut grease and not harm aluminum, I was cleaning my swingarm and linkage parts.  I was actually amazed at how well the stuff works, and the spray bottle of it cost me a whole dollar a the dollar store.  And it works great for cleaning about anything, I found my wife cleaning the kitchen with it.

• Like 5