Who else rivets their master link(s)?

I have always used clipped master links and never really had a problem.  

I had ordered a riveted master link by accident for the OEM DID 520 VF o-ring chain that came with my bike as it was hard to find another clipped master link for the chain, (go ahead and try), so I just bought a Motion Pro riveter, cuttter, press-tool and am going to start riveting my chains now that I'll have the tool.  

Anyone else prefer riveted over clipped master link(s)?  

• Like 1

On road bikes / race bikes always. On, dirt bikes no, though I've replaced some damn sketchy looking masters

• Like 2

I rivet all my chains. Even on the kids bikes.

• Like 1

For a dirt bike, I would not consider it.

• Like 3

I now have a couple of spare rivet master links and last night I had ordered a Motion Pro riveter/cutter/press and got myself a set of digital calipers at Harbor Freight so I'm committed now.  

• Like 2

I had no issues with a clip link until i did. Failure on my part for not catching it (was young and dumb at the time). Now I wouldn’t consider running a non rivet style unless it was necessary until i got a replacement. Just my .02.

I have never had, nor seen a master-link fail in 20+ years of off-road riding. I have seen chains break, but not at the master.

I rivet street & dirt chains, carry a regular master link in the pack.  I figure better to never need it & have it on hand, than face the alternative.

Rivets for a street bike. Clips for a dirtbike. I have seen them fail on the street. Not on the dirt. I guess it depends on how often you change your gears and chain lengths if you want to rivet a dirtbike one or not.

They now have these screw type rivet links that are nifty.

28 minutes ago, ferraiolo1 said:

They now have these screw type rivet links that are nifty.

Yes, I have considered those myself. Very neat.

I use the DID VX2, and have always riveted them.  I broke the clip link on my first XR650R about halfway through the first year with it in a XC race.  I keep the regular clip link in my tool pack.

• Like 1

I use the DID VX2, and have always riveted them.  I broke the clip link on my first XR650R about halfway through the first year with it in a XC race.  I keep the regular clip link in my tool pack.
racing xc on a 650R? Respect.

Never had a need to do it. I waited till the absolute latest to replace the chain on my Yamaha. It snapped on me 3 times. Every time I just put on another master link. None of the breaks were at the master link. Just don’t install them backwards

I had a master link fail from rubbing on the chain guide. It was uphill about a mile from the truck.
That chain probably had 300 hours on it.
Now I always ride with one in my pack.

• Like 1

I got the new, rivet master link installed.  The Motion Pro tool is really nice and makes the job easy.  I got a composite caliper from Harbor Freight for like $10 and that helped to know when the flare for the rivet was sufficient.  I ordered another rivet master link for the 520 VF DID chain that came stock on the bike for just in case as I'll ride with a spare clipped master link in my ride-pack.  

At least I learned a new skill today and have a nice set of new tools.  Since this past winter I bought a new Motion Pro master link clip pliers.  A chain breaker.  A chain plate press and now the Motion Pro riveter, chain press, pin remover-all in one.  I'll see if I can return the chain breaker as I now have a spare.  

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I got the new, rivet master link installed.  The Motion Pro tool is really nice and makes the job easy.  I got a composite caliper from Harbor Freight for like $10 and that helped to know when the flare for the rivet was sufficient.  I ordered another rivet master link for the 520 VF DID chain that came stock on the bike for just in case as I'll ride with a spare clipped master link in my ride-pack.  

At least I learned a new skill today and have a nice set of new tools.  Since this past winter I bought a new Motion Pro master link clip pliers.  A chain breaker.  A chain plate press and now the Motion Pro riveter, chain press, pin remover-all in one.  I'll see if I can return the chain breaker as I now have a spare.  

Yeap, have same Motion Pro tool.  It’s not a very quick process but has proved very reliable.  I think I’ve done about 6 chains since getting the right tools.

I peen mine over with a ball peen hammer and a dolly old school.
  • Like 1

I'm happy to report that my first self-riveted master link worked and did not come loose or move at all.  Tested in a nasty rock/baby headed trail system.  

It is definitely a bit more work but I'm ok with it as I don't need to change chain and sprockets all that often.  I'm now at about 120 hours and 2,200 miles and my chain and sprockets still have a good amount of life left.  I think I can go at least another 2,000 miles and get to this winter with the stock setup. 

I have another new chain and sprocket set ready to go.