chuck12345

need a kick start kit

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Been shopping around for a kick start kit for a  07 Suzuki DR200se dual sport.   It has only electric start.  
I get it and all for shaving weight and cut manufacturing costs but it's a good idea to have a kick start on any off-road bike.  I tried bump starting with the clutch to see if it will start.                Didn't work so well. Too much compression even in a higher gear like 3rd.  Pop the clutch the rear tire will lock up and drag in the dirt.    
1.  Anybody have any ideas or know where to get the kick start kit for this bike?
2,  I think the DRZ400 has a kit available.  Do you think the crankcase and the kit might the same for the 400 to the 200? 

Edited by chuck12345

I have installed a kickstart on mine. I have a few pics of the process and what is needed in a thread on here. It is not for the faint of heart. I have installed a kickstart on both the dr200 and drz400 and the drz is much easier as it only requires removing the clutch but on the 200 you have split the cases. I started making a few documents of what can be used from a drz125 but havent got around to finishing, but basically you need all the parts from 80's dr200 and it will all be plug and play. I believe you can still order all the parts new as they are still used on the trojan in Austrailia 

Posted (edited)

dont need to split the case if i use the 80's dr200 kit but will need to split the case if i use anything else?

cant find anything here in the US.  you know more about this.  could you give me an email so i can contact the trojan in Australia you mentioned and anymore you have that might work?  Is there anything here in the US that might work?    thanks......

Edited by chuck12345

You have split the case no matter what. 

As for ordering parts I think the US dealers can get parts because they are the same as the trojan. Just look up the 80s dr200 parts and some places will have them in stock. Easiest is to just wait and find a used complete kickstart set on ebay. 

Here is the thread I started on this and added a few pics yesterday. hopefully this helps a little

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, mr.skywalker said:

You have split the case no matter what. 

As for ordering parts I think the US dealers can get parts because they are the same as the trojan. Just look up the 80s dr200 parts and some places will have them in stock. Easiest is to just wait and find a used complete kickstart set on ebay. 

Here is the thread I started on this and added a few pics yesterday. hopefully this helps a little

>>>>>You have split the case no matter what.<<<<<<well that's no good.  was hoping to do the basics of remove the clutch side cover, remove the clutch and basket then maybe a few tweaks then reassemble.   ok, thanks for your time.  i guess ill close this and leave it alone. 

anybody else want to add to this?

Edited by chuck12345

Yea, its not a difficult job but for most people its not really worth the effort. The riding I do i need to have it as I often times am in situations where if my battery dies the only way I get out is a 4 wheeler towing me. It has saved me twice already after dropping the bike and it flooded and battery died before I could get it going again.

Glad to help, sorry to be the bearer of bad news

On 4/6/2018 at 4:24 PM, mr.skywalker said:

Yea, its not a difficult job but for most people its not really worth the effort. The riding I do i need to have it as I often times am in situations where if my battery dies the only way I get out is a 4 wheeler towing me. It has saved me twice already after dropping the bike and it flooded and battery died before I could get it going again.

Glad to help, sorry to be the bearer of bad news

it's a little more than i expected.  How much more do you think a kick start on the factory assembly line might have pushed the price up?  I don't think anybody would complain.