MX at 50

Hello I'm 49 and just getting back into the sport....just a quick question to some of you 50 class riders...are all of the 50 class guys mostly old A riders..lol....what I'm getting at is it poss that a guy become competitive after a year or two in the 50 and over class....just wondering

I'll be in the 40 plus class next year. I have only been back in it for a year and have found if you are in shape and halfway fast you can beat half the class. There are still really fast guys in every class but I'm looking forward to getting away from 30 year old kids. Some of them still ride like it's for all the money. I think if your in shape and get a good start you can podium.

• Like 1

53 here, took a 20 yr break and been back riding / racing for 10 yrs. Regardless of how you rode when you were young, dont assume you can still ride like that.  I've seen a lot of guys start riding after a 20 yr break hit the track wide open and were fast.... which equates to, a faster soil sample and  broken bones, most of these guys never returned after a major crash. (Prolly cuz the wife sold their stuff while they were in surgery ? ) Maintaining a decent level of fitness has been my success to minimal injuries. Try to workout, cardio and weight train 3-4 days a week if possible.... having said all of that, yes you can be competitive. In my area there are some OLD guys that were A riders, we called them Expert back in the day, but a lot of guys started riding in their 30,40 and 50s that are very good safe and fast riders. Enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

I hit 50 last year, and got back into riding around 18 months ago after a good 25+ year rest on roadies. I was fast when younger ( I guess mid 'a' class) but lack of fitness and just lack of riding (I struggle with some of the stuff I was good at) and the way tracks have changed have really taken their toll. I'm S_L_O_W_L_Y getting back up to speed, but honestly I don't ever think I will get to the level that the guys that I used to race against that haven't stopped riding are at. I still crash a fair bit though so I guess some things are still the same.

BUT, You are not Me, if you have the drive, and the time to put in the hours, I don't see why you can't. Wear LOTS of gear, We don't heal like we once did.

Gduck24, I think you're in for a shock, most of the vets go harder than the young 'uns around here. ?

• Like 1

I like to think I go hard, but if I have to make a sketchy pass I think we weigh the risks a little better than the young guys. We hold lines and can control our rear wheels. I enjoy the fact most of us have to go to work Monday. I'm mainly racing for my little guy. I don't want to just sit and watch him.

• Like 2

RM9802  I'm 56 this year, If you were competitive years ago no reason to think once you are in bike shape & back ridding well that you shouldn't be up at the front.

If your local track only has a 50+ class with no ,A,B,C it may be loaded with old fast guys. I'm almost always lined up with guys who raced LL , 1 guy has a +35 LL title

from back in the day so you never know. 

However Be prepared to be a bit surprised with  the pace & competitiveness ..No joke I'm riding around 100hrs a year with practice & racing.I put 35 hours on my 1st 17- 350, 65 on my 2nd & now have 44

on my 18. By the time the 19 is available I will be pushing 80hrs on this bike.  Disclaimer I do have unlimited access to a great private track...

I advise  to remember you are older & ride in your comfort zone . If  a situation arises that makes you uncomfortable [ sketchy jumps ] play it safe.

It's a long season & you cant get better by nursing an injury. 

• Like 2

I’m only 28 but it’s very area, track and event specific. I know I can range from back of the pack novice to front of pack intermediate. Seems like as I’ve gotten older people’s general attitudes have gotten better. Guys are out there for fun, and a battle is still a battle even if it’s just to not get last haha. 

Lots of guys who have been racing their whole lives along with guys just getting into it. Do some practice days you can get a good idea of where you stand.

Edited by temporarily_locked
  • Like 1

Well i wasn't the fastest back in the day a c rider on a good day....but of course raising a family came first....so now with work scheadule changing kids older...i have time to get some riding in....one thing was being young I thought I had to have the biggest fastest bike that wss out there....no matter what my ability was. I just bought me the 250fx....even though I'm a big guy I love this bike so far...not being scared of the power I think is the first step to becoming a better rider. I honestly think being older and smarter will make a better rider than I was when I was younger....if I don't get hurt first..lol

• Like 1

At 54 was the first time I threw a leg over a dirt bike. Any dirt bike. Really nil experience riding any motorcycle. A year later I move from beginner to novice. Haven't raced over the winter so not sure how I progressed to this point. Then again I race in OTHG (Over The Hill Gang, starts at30 yo) which is a kinder, gentler version of racing. But it's still very much racing. Don't want to kill you for the $7 trophy but banging bars in the corners is cool...

Anyways, what I try to keep in mind is the only person I'm really competing against on the track is myself. In other words, keep the excitement in check and you'll be happier (less time rehabbing injuries, minor as they can be, or not) with more riding time.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN
  • Like 5

In Florida the 50+ crowd at my track are pretty fast - even the guys in their 60's and 70's. That's right - 70's! Some retired pros and some with big names. They don't ride hard most of the time and are mostly out for fun and trading war stories in the pit. Most can just about walk. If they get passed on the track they will usually just pass you right back and call it a day - just so you know who's boss. 

I suggest going to a local race and checking out the pace for the old timers in your area.  There are very few novice 50+ riders. I'm one of them. 

• Like 3

On 2018-04-05 at 5:02 PM, rm9802 said:

Hello I'm 49 and just getting back into the sport....just a quick question to some of you 50 class riders...are all of the 50 class guys mostly old A riders..lol....what I'm getting at is it poss that a guy become competitive after a year or two in the 50 and over class....just wondering

PM Sent

Anyways, what I try to keep in mind is the only person I'm really competing against on the track is myself.

I like this way of thinking. One friend put it really well. He stated that Motocross is an individual sport and the other riders are only there to let you know how you’re doing.

I also have to plug Vintage MX as a fun alternative/additional form of racing. We race interesting bikes on old school (less jumpy) tracks. Always a good time.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Jumping into this thread as a 50 year old first timer. Literally first timer on dirt. Long time street rider though.

I’ve run about 60-70 minutes at the local track first on a CRF150F then a CRF230F. I loved the experience so was hooked.
I just took possession of a 2000 YZ125 that I need to go through front to back.

Then I’m going to find some flat area I can ride for a bit before I venture on the track.

I’d be very grateful for any advice, links to vids for the new 2t rider.

• Like 1

^ Practice the right techniques. Gary Semi's has great vids. It boils down to controls and body position.

Jumps: Always stand and never decel just before launch (endo).

Hold your line on the track if a faster rider is behind you.

In most cases, the bike handles better when you're on the throttle.

4t's are easier to ride then 2t's

Edited by gatorfan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
After 30yrs of street riding, I bought an old XR400 and started riding MX at age 54. I just bought a new YZ250f. I think the trick to be an 'old beginner' is know your limits and stay in shape. I've seriously lost interest in street bikes since getting into dirt.

Interesting choice of bike for the track. How are you making out?

The XR left a lot to be desired on the track, but it allowed me to learn the basics of dirt riding for very little $.  I wasn't worried about dropping or damaging it.  I have not had the YZ to the track yet, but it should be a LOT nicer, particularly being only 204lbs to the XR's 270!

Edited by Celtic Curmudgeon
  • Like 1

At 54 was the first time I threw a leg over a dirt bike. Any dirt bike. Really nil experience riding any motorcycle. A year later I move from beginner to novice. Haven't raced over the winter so not sure how I progressed to this point. Then again I race in OTHG (Over The Hill Gang, starts at30 yo) which is a kinder, gentler version of racing. But it's still very much racing. Don't want to kill you for the $7 trophy but banging bars in the corners is cool...
Anyways, what I try to keep in mind is the only person I'm really competing against on the track is myself. In other words, keep the excitement in check and you'll be happier (less time rehabbing injuries, minor as they can be, or not) with more riding time.

This is exactly my situation. Turning 52 in a week or so and 6 weeks ago was the first time I turned a wheel in the dirt on a rental CRF230F. Many many thousands of street miles though.
I’m in the process of rebuilding a 2000 YZ125 which will be my first mx bike.
  • Like 1