Little Jeff

Fatty Shinko or Goldentyre front tires

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, Hans Schmid said:

For the cost of shipping I'll send someone a 2hr used POS Shinko front... What a giant waste of money!

Is this a 90/90 size!  I like the Shinko 100/90 but shed knobs off at 200 miles. I tried a 90/90 since it had extra reinforcing molded into the side knobs. The tire was tough but did not work well at all.I did adjust my bike for the different diameter of the tire.  I took it off quickly. I then though maybe I had something else wrong with my set up so I remounted it and ran it a various pressures and set ups . Did not like it at all. I noticed the crown shape mounted was very different than the 100/90. Width similar but very different shape.   Because of this thread I looked at the 90/90 Golden Tyre.  It is not the same as the Shinko 90/90.  

On 7/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, Hans Schmid said:

So losing 7-10% of your tires performance with the side knobs falling off is worth the $52? A GT216AA will well outlast a Shinko but still hold its knobs on... 

The biggest lie on TT is that the Shinko is the same as the GoldenTyre, it's not and never has been... 

The old gen 3 GT 216 is the same as the current Shinko 216. Made in the same mold with the same rubber at the same factory in South Korea  

GTs current offering is lighter, has a different rubber compound, many say it’s more durable and like its performance better than the GT gen 3 216 and is made in China. 

4 hours ago, MotoXImage said:

The old gen 3 GT 216 is the same as the current Shinko 216. Made in the same mold with the same rubber at the same factory in South Korea  

GTs current offering is lighter, has a different rubber compound, many say it’s more durable and like its performance better than the GT gen 3 216 and is made in China. 

I absolutely believe that on the 100/90.  I saw a Golden Tyre 90/90 18 months ago and it was very different than the 90/90 Shinko I had at that time.  The 90/90 GT did  not have all the knob reinforcements. Neither does the 100/90 Shinko or GT.  Not a real big deal.  Maybe the 90/90 GT was already the new one. It is good to know the new GT's have some good improvements that are worthy of a try. Thanks for the information. What I do know is I wont be using a 90/90 Shinko with the reinforced knobs.

1 hour ago, celler said:

I absolutely believe that on the 100/90.  I saw a Golden Tyre 90/90 18 months ago and it was very different than the 90/90 Shinko I had at that time.  The 90/90 GT did  not have all the knob reinforcements. Neither does the 100/90 Shinko or GT.  Not a real big deal.  Maybe the 90/90 GT was already the new one. It is good to know the new GT's have some good improvements that are worthy of a try. Thanks for the information. What I do know is I wont be using a 90/90 Shinko with the reinforced knobs.

What's wrong with the 90/90 Shinko?

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Muffintop said:

IMO, it’s a great compromise between the slower steering of the Fatty and the Skinny which isn’t a strong tire anywhere. I’m on my second Chubby. The strong point of them is durability, traction, flat resistance and good rim protection. The downside is it wears quickly and apparently when compared to the GT Chubby, it weighs more. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:19 PM, Muffintop said:

My experience is the tire was vague at turn in and did not absorb trail trash well. I was not expecting to absorb trash as well as the 100/90 but it was not as good as an M59.  When I compared the crown of the 90/90 to the 90/100 it was a lot more curved. The only reason I noticed this is because I was looking for a reason it worked so differently than a 90/100, an M59, or an x30 .  On the plus side the reinforced side knobs definitely made the knobs much more resilient to cracking. I really wanted this tire to work as I was loosing side knobs at 200 miles on a 90/100.  All my riding is Decomposed Granite with a lot of loose rock.  The 90/90 may work well in real dirt or sand. I use a lot of Shinko tires and am not a hater of the brand.

Edited by celler

On 12/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, MotoXImage said:

GTs current tire is not made in China. Most tires are made in Korea. The process & compound is where the difference is. Shinko rubber is scrap recycled rubber, GTs is a specific compound. 

Classic example of you get what you pay for. 

On 12/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, Freemotion said:

GTs current tire is not made in China. Most tires are made in Korea. The process & compound is where the difference is. Shinko rubber is scrap recycled rubber, GTs is a specific compound. 

Interesting. I wonder why my GT tires have "Made in China" molded into them :excuseme:

• Haha 1

I have run the old version of the Golden in the narrow size and the Shinko version of the fatty. I could tell little difference in the grip, thought they both were better than any other front tire I have used. But.... both shed the side knobs bad. The Shinko has little wear showing but half the side knows are torn loose. 

I won't buy another Shinko Fatty. Have a narrow version of the new Golden for the next front. 

On 12/20/2018 at 9:03 AM, Freemotion said:

GTs are indeed made in China. 

Shinko owns rubber plantations so it’s hard to believe that they would buy scrap rubber when they’re in the business of producing their own fresh, high quality rubber.

Their factory is in South Korea 

Just now, MotoXImage said:

GTs are indeed made in China. 

Shinko owns rubber plantations so it’s hard to believe that they would buy scrap rubber when they’re in the business of producing their own fresh, high quality rubber.

Their factory is in South Korea 

Ahh that's where I got it mixed up. Thanks mate. I w ass thinking the factory made em 👍🏻

• Like 1

Not news to many but Goldentyre's Fatty changed in recent times. 
Old Golden fatty  90/100x21    =   10.32 lbs
New  "                           "     =   8.86 lbs
My favorite rear changed in recent times also:
Old IRC M5B  130/80x18   =  12.72  lbs
New IRC EVO M5B "      "   =  12.96 lbs
No comparisons yet I just mounted them.  The originals are a wicked good combo though in the PNW so I hope nothing is lost.  I'm concerned some of the damping qualities of the fatty will be lost.  Anyone?   

Good day everyone,

Just weighed my gt216aa using my Lyman digital. 8lbs 12 ounces. So real close to what is posted. I look forward to see if the IRC EVO M5B will be as good. Where is the best place to get the IRC’s???
Anyone.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Smoken 2 Stroker said:

Good day everyone,

Just weighed my gt216aa using my Lyman digital. 8lbs 12 ounces. So real close to what is posted. I look forward to see if the IRC EVO M5B will be as good. Where is the best place to get the IRC’s???
Anyone.

Thanks

My Shinko Chubby, a slightly smaller tire weighs 9 lbs 2 ounces. Your post reaffirmed that the new GTs are lighter. IMO that’s a very important consideration. I’m sure that the GT Chubby would show a significant weight reduction to the GT Fatty. 

Edited by MotoXImage
clarify the point

My Shinko Chubby, a slightly smaller tire weighs 9 lbs 2 ounces. Your post reaffirmed that the new GTs are lighter. IMO that’s a very important consideration. I’m sure that the GT Chubby would show a significant reduction to the GT Fatty. 

Thanks.

Just got three new tires plus front and rear tubliss system. I tried to weigh the AT81 EX I have for the rear but it pegged my scale at 12 lbs. I’ll have to locate my other scale to see what it actually weighs. If I can find it, I’ll post it here. At a cost of 95 per tire, I’m looking at something that might be good for the PNW terrain for a lot less doe.

3 hours ago, Smoken 2 Stroker said:

Thanks.

Just got three new tires plus front and rear tubliss system. I tried to weigh the AT81 EX I have for the rear but it pegged my scale at 12 lbs. I’ll have to locate my other scale to see what it actually weighs. If I can find it, I’ll post it here. At a cost of 95 per tire, I’m looking at something that might be good for the PNW terrain for a lot less doe.

Weighed my Shinko Cheater 120/100/18 at 15 pd 3 oz. As soon as I saw that I knew I was going to hate it and figured I would just wear it out as fast as I could and go back to the MotoZ Arena Gummy. That all changed on my first ride on the it. Riding on a trail that gave my Arena a challenge but not a fail as did the Kenda DT Parker, the cheater blew my mind. Normally when lifting over rollers on this trail, the rear would not offer enough traction to wheelie over the next obstacle. It's also tracked much straighter exiting turns. If that heavy beast holds up decently, I don't mind cheating and I'll keep it. Great tire unless your doing Moto on a prepped track. 

• Like 1

so... the shinko 505 cheater or m5b are the best rears you can get?

and the best front is either the shinko 216 or the GT 216??

good to know... I got a m5b evo right now and love it.   got a 505 cheater waiting to get thrown on as well as the shinko for a a front waiting to get thrown on.

have an IRC ve33 front and am not a huge fan of it.  too much resistance when turning. almost like the lugs are too tall and soft.

2 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

so... the shinko 505 cheater or m5b are the best rears you can get?

and the best front is either the shinko 216 or the GT 216??

good to know... I got a m5b evo right now and love it.   got a 505 cheater waiting to get thrown on as well as the shinko for a a front waiting to get thrown on.

have an IRC ve33 front and am not a huge fan of it.  too much resistance when turning. almost like the lugs are too tall and soft.

Either brand of the Fatty's are not known for being quick turners. They're known for traction in various terrains and their ability to run lower psi and absorb rock impacts. 

If quick turning is your priority, I'd look for something else because like anything else, there is a tradeoff between their strengths and weakness's. 

• Like 1