Little Jeff

Fatty Shinko or Goldentyre front tires

its not a priority, just something that annoyed me once in a while.   Ill run it and give it a try and go from there I guess.

thanks!

Just weighed the AT81EX.
12.09 lb.

I also got a D803 Dunlap

It checked in at 12.68 lbs.
using a digital back pack style scale.

160 mile on Shinko 216 21/90/90 and Shinko 505 18/120  

100 miles off road mountain trails hard pack and rocks including a tire ripping rock garden.  70 miles paved mountain highway with lots of braking  

E706EDFE-E1AC-4A8F-8124-F3E83C1FB475.jpeg

E6FE379D-162A-454F-84BA-48377981FA07.jpeg

Edited by MotoXImage
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 4:46 PM, MotoXImage said:

Weighed my Shinko Cheater 120/100/18 at 15 pd 3 oz. As soon as I saw that I knew I was going to hate it and figured I would just wear it out as fast as I could and go back to the MotoZ Arena Gummy. That all changed on my first ride on the it. Riding on a trail that gave my Arena a challenge but not a fail as did the Kenda DT Parker, the cheater blew my mind. Normally when lifting over rollers on this trail, the rear would not offer enough traction to wheelie over the next obstacle. It's also tracked much straighter exiting turns. If that heavy beast holds up decently, I don't mind cheating and I'll keep it. Great tire unless your doing Moto on a prepped track. 

Are you running tubliss front and back? I've run two cheaters and on a second motoz arena gummy 120/100 and the gummy is def better for everything.  That said, I run the cheater at 6-7 psi and the motoz at 4-5 psi. In both cases I run the lowest psi I can without getting any of the squish feeling on turns. 

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, flesh said:

Are you running tubliss front and back? I've run two cheaters and on a second motoz arena gummy 120/100 and the gummy is def better for everything.  That said, I run the cheater at 6-7 psi and the motoz at 4-5 psi. In both cases I run the lowest psi I can without getting any of the squish feeling on turns. 

Yeah, I’m Tubliss on both ends. I really liked the Arena but the Cheater was hooking up on low traction hard stuff better. Had to run a couple of miles recently on packed snow ice and some mud. Seemed good but the Arena never got tested in those conditions. So far the Cheaters wearing ok but I can see the flex area where the knobs meet the carcass is beginning to possibly show pre knob tearing. Still, the tire did great crossing a rocky boulder style creek. 

Also the shop and others online report the large rear doesn’t tear knobs like the smaller one because for some reason the smaller tire has wider spaced knobs. 

So I’ll give my cheap two cents. 

I ride desert, about all hard rocks, or soft sand. Southern Nevada single track, double wide open desert and flood washes. I was using a 80/100-21 Kenda Trackmaster and wanted to replace it with the highly recommended Shinko Fat Tyre in the 90/100-21. 

In riding a crf450x setup for desert riding and I’m a big boy pushing 250 with gear. 

I installed the Shinko Fat Tyre, 15 PSI with a  bridgestone Hd tube and went for a ride. Noticed that the front end was very washy and was grabbing every rut or line it could see. I chalked it up to new tire, wide profile and new knobbies. So I kept riding but began to notice that any time I would go to turn or cut lines it was very unpredictable. I kept on it for the day and notices that in the big rock gardens it was nice and floated over them but as soon as any soft sand or pebbles it would get so squirmy. 

I kept thinking it was something I had to get used to so I rode the day out. I dropped the PSI to 12 to test and the next ride just a day or two after I went out to some newly made flash flood washes and some newly groomed single track that crosses across the Nevada desert. The front end would just not stay inline or keep from getting squirmy and after 4 low speed wash outs and countless higher speed wobbles I couldn’t try to make the Shinko Fat Tyre work.

I was severely disappointed in how unpredictable and sketchy the Fat Tyre was. Even at super slow low speed (both from a stop or a slow turn around) it would just push itself through the turn and I’d have to put a foot down or nail the throttle and pull out of the sharp turn. Knowing that I still had my old Trackmaster at home I threw it back on just to see how it would react. 

Instantly it was back to normal. No washing out, no unpredictable turning or sketchy nees. I even began to push a little harder in slow corners to see what it would do and yes, it would wash but it was predictable and I could just lean against it and I would continue the turn. 

So, in the end the Shinko Fat Tyre didn’t live up to the hype. I don’t know what I’m going to do for my next tire as I’d like to test others but the amount of issues the last $70 front tire experience I had has pushed me away.  

24 minutes ago, grenade19 said:

So I’ll give my cheap two cents. 

I ride desert, about all hard rocks, or soft sand. Southern Nevada single track, double wide open desert and flood washes. I was using a 80/100-21 Kenda Trackmaster and wanted to replace it with the highly recommended Shinko Fat Tyre in the 90/100-21. 

In riding a crf450x setup for desert riding and I’m a big boy pushing 250 with gear. 

I installed the Shinko Fat Tyre, 15 PSI with a  bridgestone Hd tube and went for a ride. Noticed that the front end was very washy and was grabbing every rut or line it could see. I chalked it up to new tire, wide profile and new knobbies. So I kept riding but began to notice that any time I would go to turn or cut lines it was very unpredictable. I kept on it for the day and notices that in the big rock gardens it was nice and floated over them but as soon as any soft sand or pebbles it would get so squirmy. 

I kept thinking it was something I had to get used to so I rode the day out. I dropped the PSI to 12 to test and the next ride just a day or two after I went out to some newly made flash flood washes and some newly groomed single track that crosses across the Nevada desert. The front end would just not stay inline or keep from getting squirmy and after 4 low speed wash outs and countless higher speed wobbles I couldn’t try to make the Shinko Fat Tyre work.

I was severely disappointed in how unpredictable and sketchy the Fat Tyre was. Even at super slow low speed (both from a stop or a slow turn around) it would just push itself through the turn and I’d have to put a foot down or nail the throttle and pull out of the sharp turn. Knowing that I still had my old Trackmaster at home I threw it back on just to see how it would react. 

Instantly it was back to normal. No washing out, no unpredictable turning or sketchy nees. I even began to push a little harder in slow corners to see what it would do and yes, it would wash but it was predictable and I could just lean against it and I would continue the turn. 

So, in the end the Shinko Fat Tyre didn’t live up to the hype. I don’t know what I’m going to do for my next tire as I’d like to test others but the amount of issues the last $70 front tire experience I had has pushed me away.  

How much did you push up your forks when you put on the Shinko? From reading your description it sounds like your bike was raked out with the Shinko. It is a big tire and if you do not change your fork height the geometry will be way off and you bike will handle poorly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, celler said:

How much did you push up your forks when you put on the Shinko? From reading your description it sounds like your bike was raked out with the Shinko. It is a big tire and if you do not change your fork height the geometry will be way off and you bike will handle poorly.

Didn’t move them as I installed a new Kenda Parker DT in the rear and adjusted my SAG accordingly. Forks are already 12mm up in the clamp, from my Kenda Setup. The 12mm is to the top of the fork total, about 5mm front the top of the tube. 

Even prior to this swap I had a Kouba lowering link with some major rake going on and I had no issues washing out. So I’m sure there’s ideas out there in what caused it but as soon as I put the Trackmaster back on it went all away. 

• Like 1

With the Fat front tire, I have to raise the fork tubes in the clamps 5-10mm to get it to feel right again.

14 hours ago, Knightly said:

With the Fat front tire, I have to raise the fork tubes in the clamps 5-10mm to get it to feel right again.

Your experience is the same as mine. When I used a fatty I would raise my forks 10mm from the setting with a M59.  From a 90/100 X30 forks would be moved 5mm.  

3 hours ago, celler said:

Your experience is the same as mine. When I used a fatty I would raise my forks 10mm from the setting with a M59.  From a 90/100 X30 forks would be moved 5mm.  

Ok so I just remounted the Fat Tyre and dropped my forks 5mm more for a total of 15mm into the clamp. I will report back after a ride or two to see if anything changed. I’m going to go ride the exact same area I rode last time so I am comparing the same terrain  

Im also starting with 15 psi and will adjust from there. 

Michelin hp4 still my favorite 90/100.   gt vs shinko fatty, the gt has held up better , If you want shinko 90/100 the 546 worked better for me than the 216.  just my 02. I really should stay out of these tire threads, LOL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Of course not, the Shinko is a POS... 

A horrible POS. 

Over half the side knobs had popped off in less then 15hrs on mine.  It's the first front tire I have ran that I changed BEFORE the rear. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bkoz said:

A horrible POS. 

Over half the side knobs had popped off in less then 15hrs on mine.  It's the first front tire I have ran that I changed BEFORE the rear. 

I don't know if they fixed it or if I just got lucky but mine held up pretty good. Only replaced it cause it wasn't working for me in softer stuff and went with a mx33 

Was running it at 7-8psi and worked great in the slow rocky stuff

8 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I don't know if they fixed it or if I just got lucky but mine held up pretty good. Only replaced it cause it wasn't working for me in softer stuff and went with a mx33 

Was running it at 7-8psi and worked great in the slow rocky stuff

My tire had a build date of April 2019,  it was a pretty recent tire...

Posted (edited)

I dont like mine, it feels weird in everything but slow rocky terrain. It feels like there is a rubber band connected between my top and lower triple clamps. I am running Tubliss and have tried different pressures. I can only run it at 12psi or higher and the feeling is somewhat eliminated. My oem tire with tube felt much better, less plush but better. I only have 10 hours on the Shinko it and its wearing well. Would not buy again unless its all rocky terrain, it took alot of feel out of the bike for me. I am sure the internet warriors will have something to say/add/criticize .

Edited by 240ZDAN

I run the Shinko Fatty on all of my bikes. No complaints. I never run them lower than 14psi. My FE250 has a Shinko Fatty/525 combo on it that's 30 hours old. They're worn out but not thrashed. I agree that they aren't the best in the soft stuff but its really rocky out here. They're necessary. I find the 525 Cheater rear to be the most mediocre tire ever. Its not bad, its not really good, its just there. If you want a softer than average rear tire that will wear well and work adequately pretty much anywhere then its your tire. I prefer the Geomax AT81 w/ the reinforced carcass better. 

Road with a ride buddy yesterday. He had mounted a new Shinko 216 90/100 fatty and was comparing it to the golden tyre 216aa fatty 90/100 he had on prior to that.  

he said it grabs and drifts unpredictably. We both mentioned it might need braking in, but it hasn’t got any better. The price sucked him in. Had to try it out. 

When I installed my golden tyre aa 216 fatty, it didn’t seem to matter about raising the forks. After a few months I raised the forks about 6mm. Felt the steering was quicker and felt no sacrifice at higher speeds. Currently running 10 psi and tubliss front and rear with a D803 trials tire at about 6-7 psi. Great combo imo. I found my summer time set up. For gnarly roots and step rock  

Smoke