TM 4 stroke Enduros? Any good?

Hi,

I'm looking into getting either the 250 or 300 4 stroke enduro bike TM makes. Has anyone ridden one or both and could give me some feedback on the suspension, power and reliability? I've had a few 300 2 stroke betas now, after riding my partners crf450x down the track and being quicker and more comfortable on that bike than my beta, I'd like to get a 4 stroke. The suspension is very plush on the X, are the kybs TM uses as good?

I'd be using the bike at local tracks, timecard enduros, hare and hounds and some trail riding. I want something that is very stable over rough ground at speed and is capable in technical and fast terrain. 

It's a big step, would really appreciate some feedback.

I rode a 2018 TM 300 and that bike was a gem!! It turns like no other bike, and power was very smooth! The owner has a few and said they are very reliable and parts are easy to get.

• Like 1

No local TM 4 strokes there to try??  There are so few here that I think people are leary of buying even though the look nice. You might look at what 4 strokes are available and see about factoring in custom suspension from the start.

The guy that let me ride his thinks people are afraid of parts availability and reliability. He said there’s nothing to worry about with either of those. I’m considering buy one next year. The one I rode was so nice it made my 2018 216 lbs Husqvarna TX 300 feel heavy. The only thing I didn’t like was the small gas tank, but he said he can has never not made it to a gas stop. They are really well made and they best handling bikes on the earth!

6 hours ago, 1 lunger said:

The guy that let me ride his thinks people are afraid of parts availability and reliability. He said there’s nothing to worry about with either of those. I’m considering buy one next year. The one I rode was so nice it made my 2018 216 lbs Husqvarna TX 300 feel heavy. The only thing I didn’t like was the small gas tank, but he said he can has never not made it to a gas stop. They are really well made and they best handling bikes on the earth!

This is about 4 strokes. As far as 2 strokes go TM is a 5 speed and lacks an estart option. That’s what puts it last in the list for me in the 300 class. They are beautiful bikes but how much is known about them and what are the comparison to comparable 4 strokes in the same class from other manufacturers. The question is what is the benefit of a TM over other bikes for a 4 stroke??? Suspension is more about setup to me. All are good once setup. We have a local dealer trying to sell TM and no one is buying.. and these are 2 strokes. I haven’t seen a 4 stroke TM yet. They are beautiful but so are alot of other brands. Maybe look at Beta,Ktm, Husky, Yamaha etc at the same time. 

This is about 4 strokes. As far as 2 strokes go TM is a 5 speed and lacks an estart option. That’s what puts it last in the list for me in the 300 class. They are beautiful bikes but how much is known about them and what are the comparison to comparable 4 strokes in the same class from other manufacturers. The question is what is the benefit of a TM over other bikes for a 4 stroke??? Suspension is more about setup to me. All are good once setup. We have a local dealer trying to sell TM and no one is buying.. and these are 2 strokes. I haven’t seen a 4 stroke TM yet. They are beautiful but so are alot of other brands. Maybe look at Beta,Ktm, Husky, Yamaha etc at the same time. 

I’m aware he’s talking about a 4T bike. However I can’t comment on that. What I said in the above post was just a little be of info to help a fellow rider make a decision. What personal experience do you have with TM other than seeing some at a dealer. I’m just pointing out a couple things that might help the guy make a decision or pull the trigger on a bike he wants.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1 lunger said:

I’m aware he’s talking about a 4T bike. However I can’t comment on that. What I said in the above post was just a little be of info to help a fellow rider make a decision.

Ive heard others liking the TM 2 stroke too. They re gorgeous bikes and I can see the attraction. Still I think your Husky is a much better choice. As far as 4 strokes and TM. Thats a bike that has limited production. How many are even out there to have some experience of them?.. pretty rare bike. That alone would steer me away. Makes Beta look like KTM in production size comparison. Black swan Id think maybe a 390 Beta might be a better fit with lower seat height and broad powerband.  For what you describe a 350 is good aswell. I haven’t ridden a 250 300 4 stroke for enduro. To me if going 250 4 t just go minimum 350 4t. A 450x has been around a long time . It’s a good old bike and doesn’t have intimidating power. You probably feel comfortable on it. There’s a wide range of 4 strokes available to try from different brands.See if you can sample other bikes to get an idea whats out there. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses, I'm looking at all the different brands and have ridden both a 17 husky and KTM 350 4t, very nice bikes, but I would prefer an aluminium frame and jap suspension this time. Also looking at the crf250x or the new wr250f or a yz250f. The TM just has the wow factor for me, a lot of the parts look like parts honda uses and there is a good dealer network in the UK, so parts and availability aren't really my concerns.

I'd just like to get some feedback from people who have ridden and owned the models I am looking at, as reviews online are few and far between.

17 minutes ago, Black-swan said:

Thanks for the responses, I'm looking at all the different brands and have ridden both a 17 husky and KTM 350 4t, very nice bikes, but I would prefer an aluminium frame and jap suspension this time. Also looking at the crf250x or the new wr250f or a yz250f. The TM just has the wow factor for me, a lot of the parts look like parts honda uses and there is a good dealer network in the UK, so parts and availability aren't really my concerns.

I'd just like to get some feedback from people who have ridden and owned the models I am looking at, as reviews online are few and far between.

Don’t get a crf250x. That’s a diss appointing bike to me.  Youll do better with your Beta you have now.  All my friends that got crf250x weren’t happy and sold them fast.  I have a 12’ ex endurocross 350rr that C. Webb raced in endurocross. I like it for hare scrambles type racing. It rips and is easy to ride and race. For technical it’s weaker down low compared to my 525 rs and my 300 rr which are easier  to ride to me. 350 is Good but I rather the 300 rr for other riding I do aswell. The 4 stroke 2 stroke thing is an evolving desire. It’s 2 ways of riding and you may be changing your mind on which you like better for what as you ride more. I have. Still.. Why 250 or 300 4 stroke? Id go up in cc. They weigh the same and are easy to ride. I really loved a 15 430 race edition Beta that my Beta dealer let me ride. It had everything to me. It was mellow but had tons of power on tap whenever you want. .. and I like big bores and just short shifting and low rpm as well. Just guessing for you Id think a 390 and a 350 would be more your speed. A little less power but still for mx or hare scrambles can be ridden fast and with not too much effort. I’m 6’1” and still rather have a little lower seat height for riding and racing. I tried the higher ergo seat butchanged back to stock and feel better . Here’s a vid I like of a 350. For this kind of stuff a 350 seems perfect. I think Id love my 350rr if I was still racing mx but Im done with airtime.

Gotta love the lappers! Won’t get out of the way and get mad when you push them out of the way! Lol!

• Like 1

I have wondered the same thing, and am very interested in the tm 300 4T.  I have ridden TM 125, 144, 250 2T, 300 2T, and 530 4T, and all were wonderful, and I have ridden many 250, 350, and 45 4Ts, and been very impressed how easy a strong 250 4T feels and how easy they are to go fast on.  The KYB forks and TM shock are very good units.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tm_enduro said:

I have wondered the same thing, and am very interested in the tm 300 4T.  I have ridden TM 125, 144, 250 2T, 300 2T, and 530 4T, and all were wonderful, and I have ridden many 250, 350, and 45 4Ts, and been very impressed how easy a strong 250 4T feels and how easy they are to go fast on.  The KYB forks and TM shock are very good units.  

Thanks for the reply. The heart is set on one now, I'm thinking the 300, might have a longer engine life than the 250 and a little more bottom end for the tight stuff. Probably around the same weight as the 250. Researching them hearing a lot of good things about the suspension and handling. There is a 2017 300 4t near me for £1000 cheaper than the 2018 model. 17 or 18, I really want one of these bikes. 

I own a 2017 TM 300fi enduro  

This bike rips!! I went down one tooth for extreme enduro riding. 

I have beaten several 300 two strokes in drag races up hills.Not as quite as much torque as my 2 stroke 300 but in the open stuff it is a little rocket ship.

Handling is great and the suspension is great after adjusting it s few clicks and taking 10cc of oil out of each fork.

The high speed adjuster on The rear shock makes a huge difference. Stock for moto style riding and out one for extreme enduro riding. 

Great little bike that would definitely suite fast enduro style riding. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have a 2017 300Fi MX which was a custom order with the 6spd, electric start, rubber mounted bar clamps, clear tank and brembo front master cylinder. I’ve only managed to put 6.8hrs on it so far but I can say it’s an amazing bike. It’s really the perfect bike as long as you aren’t expecting 450 power, the only thing I don’t love about it is the stronger than normal engine braking. I’m a 2-stroke guy so that took some getting used to.

I’m now forced to sell it due to a major injury but I will definitely be getting another one if/when I’m able to ride again.

Edited by Camstyn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Camstyn said:

I have a 2017 300Fi MX which was a custom order with the 6spd, electric start, rubber mounted bar clamps, clear tank and brembo front master cylinder. I’ve only managed to put 6.8hrs on it so far but I can say it’s an amazing bike. It’s really the perfect bike as long as you aren’t expecting 450 power, the only thing I don’t love about it is the stronger than normal engine braking. I’m a 2-stroke guy so that took some getting used to.

I’m now forced to sell it due to a major injury but I will definitely be getting another one if/when I’m able to ride again.

Bummer Cam, get well soon.

25 minutes ago, tm_enduro said:

Bummer Cam, get well soon.

Thanks man, I’m going to need a little luck on my side but no place to go but forward from here either way and just keep hoping for the best!

On 13/04/2018 at 6:32 AM, BCTM said:

I have beaten several 300 two strokes in drag races up hills.Not as quite as much torque as my 2 stroke 300 but in the open stuff it is a little rocket ship.

Handling is great and the suspension is great after adjusting it s few clicks and taking 10cc of oil out of each fork.

The high speed adjuster on The rear shock makes a huge difference. Stock for moto style riding and out one for extreme enduro riding. 

Thanks for responding! I've put a deposit down on a 17 300 en fi model, I was torn between the 300, 250 or a wr250f/ yz250fx. I just want a bike that is top quality, has really good suspension and is reliable. I like my partners crf450 but I don't feel I need that much power. I'll mostly be using the bike on single track, trail riding, some motocross tracks and timecard enduros occasionally. I find 300 two strokes a bit sharp off the bottom, I want something that is softer on the bottom but will rev out, I really like the power delivery of 4ts. A lot of reviews say the suspension is harsh stock, but if draining out a bit of oil and adjusting the clickers makes a difference, that isn't so bad. I want a plush suspension that doesn't bottom out on hard hits. Anyway thanks for the info, just got to sell my xtrainer, then I can pick up the new bike! Hope it is going to be good, a lot of people I've spoken to wouldn't buy one because they are rare, I hope its a good bike. 

On 13/04/2018 at 5:40 PM, Camstyn said:

Sorry about your injury, get well soon. Engine braking is quite nice in snotty horrible off road descents we get around here. I've tried 450s too much power for me, I haven't tried a 250f, ridden both a 2017 KTM 350 and husky 350 enduro models, power was nice, not too much, just don't like the build quality and the suspension on both felt a bit on the soft side. Hoping the tm 300 will be a good fit. 

On 13/04/2018 at 6:32 AM, BCTM said:

Have you done any other mods? I'm hoping to just buy and ride, they come pretty blinged out stock. Maybe some rad braces. 

8 minutes ago, Black-swan said:

Thanks for responding! I've put a deposit down on a 17 300 en fi model, I was torn between the 300, 250 or a wr250f/ yz250fx. I just want a bike that is top quality, has really good suspension and is reliable. I like my partners crf450 but I don't feel I need that much power. I'll mostly be using the bike on single track, trail riding, some motocross tracks and timecard enduros occasionally. I find 300 two strokes a bit sharp off the bottom, I want something that is softer on the bottom but will rev out, I really like the power delivery of 4ts. A lot of reviews say the suspension is harsh stock, but if draining out a bit of oil and adjusting the clickers makes a difference, that isn't so bad. I want a plush suspension that doesn't bottom out on hard hits. Anyway thanks for the info, just got to sell my xtrainer, then I can pick up the new bike! Hope it is going to be good, a lot of people I've spoken to wouldn't buy one because they are rare, I hope its a good bike. 

Sorry about your injury, get well soon. Engine braking is quite nice in snotty horrible off road descents we get around here. I've tried 450s too much power for me, I haven't tried a 250f, ridden both a 2017 KTM 350 and husky 350 enduro models, power was nice, not too much, just don't like the build quality and the suspension on both felt a bit on the soft side. Hoping the tm 300 will be a good fit. 

This really sounds like it will be the perfect bike for you. I look forward to reading your report after you get one, you are going to think you died and went to heaven.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Black-swan said:

Have you done any other mods? I'm hoping to just buy and ride, they come pretty blinged out stock. Maybe some rad braces. 

The trick to going fast is carrying higher cornering speeds and not slowing down for obstacles.  The TM has the handling to do that, and components to make suspension tuning work well. Now it's up to you, set the suspension (or have it done), put on the proper tires (compound and pressure), and ride faster.  Simple recipe (notice that no aftermarket pipes, no piston kits, no cams, etc required)!  

• Like 1