Sometimes you can't pass up eBay deals! XR250R swingarm swap

I have my 1990 XR200R that I've already given the XR250R front end swap for better forks and disk brake. 

I've planned on swapping over to an XR250Raluminum swingarm to save some weight, and I've thought I'd like to convert over to disk brake all around. I know the rear drum works well as it is, but disk brake has its advantages. More responsive, better for wet conditions. 

I found a '95 XR250R swingarm in amazing condition, with pivot bolt, linkage, dog bone, bolts, chain slider, and I forget what else,,, but I picked this up for the amazingly low price of,,,,

$5.35!  Shipping was $22 and some change, so I only have roughly $28 into this so far. I'll take pics of it and post soon. I took it to storage since it doesn't need to sit around the house. It barely has any scratches on the damn thing. 

I'm in no hurry to complete this swap, so I'll be keeping my eye out for the brake setup and wheel at reasonable prices over time. 

Does anybody know if '96+ brakes, and I guess wheel, are compatible to put with this swingarm?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Sometimes there are deals too good to be true - you just gotta have it

No shit! When I first saw it he had it listed at $10, and after a week or 2 dropped the price to the B.I.N price of $5.35. Others were watching it, and day of, or day before, I couldn't let it go. Even if I don't use it, going price on eBay is over $100, so I can always sell it and get my money back easily. 

I figured at that price, it could sit on the shelf as long as I needed it to

I did a rear disk conversion on my XR and the easiest method is to use a complete 90-95 XR250R rear brake assembly. Also find a 90-95 XR250R Brake Shaft because it has the arm to operate the master cylinder, Honda no longer sells it so you'll need to search for a used item.
And you'll need to fab a master cylinder mounting bracket, I adapted one from another frame to my frame. All of the MCs seem to have the same mounting holes so almost any bracket will work.  There seems to be two types of Nissin rear brake MCs; remote reservoir and integral reservoir.

IMAG0072.thumb.jpg.42ce868b83673fe7e6a1021d6ec93457.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Chuck. I always appreciate what you have to say. 

I'll continue to keep my eyes open for the necessary parts. The MC bracket shouldn't be a problem. If I can't find a frame to grind one off of, I can fabricate one easy enough. 

I just wanted to find out for sure if I needed to look for '90-95 only parts, or if I could get '96+. 

Like I said, I'm not in a big hurry to get this done, so I'll be waiting til the right part and price presents itself

I have my 1990 XR200R that I've already given the XR250R front end swap for better forks and disk brake. 
I've planned on swapping over to an XR250Raluminum swingarm to save some weight, and I've thought I'd like to convert over to disk brake all around. I know the rear drum works well as it is, but disk brake has its advantages. More responsive, better for wet conditions. 
I found a '95 XR250R swingarm in amazing condition, with pivot bolt, linkage, dog bone, bolts, chain slider, and I forget what else,,, but I picked this up for the amazingly low price of,,,,
$5.35!  Shipping was $22 and some change, so I only have roughly $28 into this so far. I'll take pics of it and post soon. I took it to storage since it doesn't need to sit around the house. It barely has any scratches on the damn thing. 
I'm in no hurry to complete this swap, so I'll be keeping my eye out for the brake setup and wheel at reasonable prices over time. 
Does anybody know if '96+ brakes, and I guess wheel, are compatible to put with this swingarm?

So you're the guy who kept messing me up in those eBay auctions… WELL PLAYED SIR

• 6 months later...
On 4/8/2018 at 2:37 PM, Daniel627 said:

Thanks for the input Chuck. I always appreciate what you have to say. 

I'll continue to keep my eyes open for the necessary parts. The MC bracket shouldn't be a problem. If I can't find a frame to grind one off of, I can fabricate one easy enough. 

I just wanted to find out for sure if I needed to look for '90-95 only parts, or if I could get '96+. 

Like I said, I'm not in a big hurry to get this done, so I'll be waiting til the right part and price presents itself

96+ SA won;t work.

XR disc brakes transfer brake torque vis a tab on the top edge of the SA so you will also need the XR caliper bracket. However a friend did a rear disc conversion on his 90 XR200R by using the 86-89 XR250R SA and the rear brake from a 88 RM250 because it transfers brake torque to the SA via a tab on the SA centerline like the XR drum brake. He also used the 88 RM wheel. My conversion uses a 89RM wheel but with the XR caliper and bracket. The RM wheels are much lighter than XR but need a bearing change to fit the 17mm XR axle, plus spacers.

Yeah I get that the 96+ swingarm won't work. This one is a '95 so I'm good. I think my original question was if the '96+ wheel and brake components would work. 

I can keep any eye out for an '89 RM250 wheel, but not sure how abundant they are these days, especially in good shape. When you did yours, were the spacers you used stock XR spacers?