2009 CRF-450R Mystery part behind radiator

Today i flushed the old coolant out, and added fresh coolant to the radiator. When I started it up, it began smoking after 1-2 minutes of idling. I killed the engine and started checking hoses, looking for leaks and noticed some damage to the radiator. It looks like this part was pushed into the radiator, but i'm not even sure what it is? 

My question is about the damage to the radiator, is it enough to say the radiator is ruined and needs to be replaced? Also, what the heck is this thing that was pushed into it? I bought this bike a week ago, and I've only owned older bikes in the past, so I've never seen anything like this before?

Main concern is the smoke from the radiator, but any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mystery part.jpg

If you got any coolant on the outside of the radiators it will smoke when they get hot, or if you got it on the header it will smoke. 

Don't know what that canister is, maybe a coolant overflow catch can.  Is there a hose from the radiator overflow going to it or anything going to it for that matter?

Yea actually, there was a small splash that would've dripped down the radiator.. I'll wait a few and try again to see if it stopped smoking. 

As for the Mystery part, there is 1 black hose or cable attached. Here's what it leads to:

Cable-1.jpg

Cable-2.jpg

Cable-3.jpg

That's a weird setup, if I see correctly it screws into the shock bladder's Schrader valve ? 

(in a common OEM setup, there's 140psi of nitrogen in there)

I can't really imagine any advantage to this overly complicated setup versus the OEM configuration,

if you pinch that hose and release the pressure, you'll instantly have a bouncy rear shock with minimal dampening.

Edited by mlatour

Honesly before you ride it again you NEED to reroute that hose. It being in between the shock coils is asking for trouble. It's a remote shock resivor. Factory Connection was pushing them around those years as a way to get rid of shock fade. I would just get the suspension rebuilt and have them take it off. You should remount it somewhere else so the hose wont get pinched.

• Like 1

That looks like the remote reservoir that Factory connection sold about the time your bike was new.That being said it is possible that it has rubbed a small hole in your radiator, and the above poster is correct that you need to at least tie the hose out of the way of the shock spring.

ok, it looks like yall are right (no surprise there). Searching the manual, this is what it said was filled with nitrogen. It refers to two pieces (A chamber-cap and bladder), and together they make up the reservoir.. right? Also, I weigh 230lbs, and typically ride sandy trails.  How differently would it handle if i released it?

Manual pages.png

The shock needs pressure to function properly, it keeps the fluid from cavitating.

140-150psi is the common operating pressure, varying the bladder's pressure is not

something that is commonly done to fine tune the dampening characteristics.

If you remove that extra hose and canister, you'll have to get the bladder recharged.

The instant you release the pressure (with such a small volume it only takes a brief "ppssssstt" for half the pressure to drop)

the shock will become extremely bouncy until re-pressurized.

At 230lbs, having fork springs and a shock spring suited to your weight (stiffer than stock) is the starting point to tuning your suspension.

Edited by mlatour

Makes sense. I  appreciate the responses. One last thing, do yall think that radiator has been damaged beyond repair?

13 hours ago, downtown1933 said:

Makes sense. I  appreciate the responses. One last thing, do yall think that radiator has been damaged beyond repair?

no.  remove the radiator and have it fixed.  there's several places out there that you can send it to, or even better bring it to your local radiator shop and have them do it.

I used these guys before I found a local shop.

https://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

• Like 1